German Shepherds Forum banner

Opinions on Shepherd mix's ears standing up

20K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  CrazyK9Dad 
#1 ·
My puppy is a foundling and so I don't know the breeds of his parents. Two different vets said he's German Shepherd mixed with either Bernese Mountain dog or Rott (possibly both or more). He's estimated to be about 4 old months right now and i've read it can take even up to 5 or 6 months for his ears to stand. After researching and looking at a lot of photos, I think he looks mostly Shepherd and would like it if his ears stood up (although i'll love him either way). He's definitely still in the teething phase, so I know I may have to just be patient and wait until that's over to find out, but I'd like some input.Could I get some opinions on whether or not his ears look like they'll go up?

(sorry, I know the photo is small, 2nd photo is from a few weeks ago, first one with him alert is more recent)

Also, does anyone know of any GS/Bernese mixes that have ears that stand?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
just by looking, i see rott. the eyebrows and coloring are classic rotwieler. he's adorable! my GSD had ears like that when i got her. her's would stand up randomly here and there though before they strengthened. if your little guy has gsd in him, they may stand at times or not at all. some GSD ears never stand. cute either way. i think it gives them character :)

#5 ·
He definitely looks like a Rottie. I don't think his ears will stand up, they'll probably just do a partial-stand when something's caught his attention, but I'm just guessing here, won't know until he's all grower up.

Links left ear went up for a week, then both for about 2 days then back to only one for another week Lol. That was around the 3 month mark, he's now got two giant perky ears that never go down, though occasionally they go back when he's in trouble and knows it, or very relaxed.

But yeah, I'd guess 50/50 GSD/Rottie, but the pictures aren't a lot to go on.

#9 ·
I was told Seven is a rott/GSD mix when we adopted her at 7 weeks. At that age she looked more Rott than anything, now she's more GSD looking.

How old is he estimates in the pics you posted? I'll post some pics from the same age of Seven for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#10 · (Edited)
After getting two different vet's opinions, they estimated he's probably about four months old...maybe a little younger. Idk if you can tell in the pictures, but his fur is pretty long which makes me think he's definitely got Bernese in him, I'm thinking he just has a little of everything.

#13 ·
I just don't see any GSD in that face. GSDs have very distinct eyes that they tend to pass to their mixes but I can't tell for sure.

Doesn't look like those ears will stand...usually you have at least some part of the ear standing by 4 months old, unless you know its pure and the lines are known for soft ears.

How big is he at 4 months? Weight/height wise?

#15 ·
1/2 GSD 1/2 Bernese looks right..your dog looks EXACTLY like mine did as a pup, and he is for certain 1/2 GSD and 1/2 Berner...(I knew his parents).
People always think my dog is half rottie b/c of the eyebrows (and other features), but he is not.
My dog's ears do not stand up like a Shepherd's at all, but they do have a bit more 'lift' to them than being totally floppy. Also, my dog has one ear that stands up much more than the other, which is adorable.

You are lucky. This is the best mix I could ever imagine, and yours will be a great dog. Watch out for grain allergies, however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.