My Shepherds ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Shepherds ears

I have been told by people and from reading post here that say if you have seen your pups ears standing up they will stand up. Wolfus is 3 1/2 months old. Her ears were doing really well. Her right ear stands up good. Her left ear was standing up good but one day I came home and her left ear was flopped down like a lab. It stays that way most of the time. I see her in the yard at times and with her head in certain positions it stands till she gets leveled out again. I'm thinking while playing with my other dogs they may have damaged the ear. My Italian greyhound likes nipping at ears when playing tag.
Am I being over concerned, or should I be. It really does not matter a lot if the ear does not stand but I think they are so funny looking when puppies with those two big old radar antennas standing up. They look like little donkey's.
Please advise and thanks much.

Last edited by Wildrat; 09-21-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Wildrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The ears will flop down when they're teething, which is about to happen to Wolfus. Make sure she has plenty of hard things to chew like bully sticks, knuckle bones, antlers- that strengthens the muscles. Once her teeth start coming out you might want to take a rag, tie it in a knot, wet it with water or chicken broth and freeze it. I also froze whole raw carrots.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
Wolfus is 3 1/2 months old. Her ears were doing really well. Her right ear stands up good. Her left ear was standing up good but one day I came home and her left ear was flopped down like a lab.
This happened with ours, too. At about the same time the ear started flopping. Interestingly, it was the first ear that went up that flopped. The other one stayed. But now (two weeks later) both are back up.

You are probably fine, but keep an eye on them. If they aren't up at 5 months, you will probably need to get them taped.

Quote:
It really does not matter a lot if the ear does not stand but...
Yeah, it really does. My last GSD's ears never went up, and we had an awful time with them, keeping them from getting infected. The poor thing was always scratching at them. We had to clean them several times a week, and sometimes we had to get medicine for them. He LOVED when we cleaned them, but hated the medicine.

Believe me, it is MUCH better when the ears go up!
MarkJoel60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

the ears do the dance, up down and all around. my last
GSD ears went up at 6 months old. the dog i have now
ears went up at 5 months old.

how much time is your 3&1/2 month old pup spending
in the yard?

Quote:
I have been told by people and from reading post here that say if you have seen your pups ears standing up they will stand up. Wolfus is 3 1/2 months old. Her ears were doing really well. Her right ear stands up good. Her left ear was standing up good but one day I came home and her left ear was flopped down like a lab. It stays that way most of the time.

>>>> I see her in the yard at times and with her head in certain positions it stands till she gets leveled out again. <<<<<

I'm thinking while playing with my other dogs they may have damaged the ear. My Italian greyhound likes nipping at ears when playing tag.
Am I being over concerned, or should I be. It really does not matter a lot if the ear does not stand but I think they are so funny looking when puppies with those two big old radar antennas standing up. They look like little donkey's.
Please advise and thanks much.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

She is out in the yard several hours a day with my IG & what's suppose to be a vizsla playing. She spends the rest of the time in the house sleeping, chewing on bones, rawhide bones, computer cords etc.
As far as ears being clean my IG cleans both of the other dogs ears daily, she also tries to clean mine also.
I found a PDF file on the ears by an older fella that has been with shepherds a long time and it explained a lot including how to tape the fur balls ears.
My other white shepherds ears which my ex absconded with ears once they went up they never went down. All dogs are different just like people though and I kinda forgot that.
I really appreciate y'all, and thanks again!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Both ears are up again at 4 1/2 months and her big girl teeth are coming in well.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kyleigh's ears didn't stay up all the way until she about 5.5 months old. Not sure if it's different for the long coated GSDs. She sure looked cute during the process tho!
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

These shepherds are just cute regardless. That is why they get away with murder. They love their masters and they come and tell when they have been up to no good. It's difficult to discipline an honest dog.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've heard so many stories of the ear dance. Pyrate's ears went up at 12 weeks and never went back down but his brother's ears went up and down couple times during teething. Raina's ears always stayed up from the first picture I saw of her at 12 weeks - I didn't get her to the US until 15 weeks and they were still up. Her sister's ears - one flopped and one stood up for another month but then they both popped up. I was lucky enough to get to know littermates of both my dogs.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yep, the ears on these dogs are all different.
I think it's like I read somewhere or someone told, that if they ever stood up they will stand up eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.