Will my shepherd's ears go up? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

My bitch had this issue... she had soft ears. Your window is closing, but that's about the age (I think) I got desperate after trying foam inserts, taping, etc. and used tear mender glue and a cone to keep her from messing with it. It did work, and her ears finally both stood. I don't remember if it was her tattoo'd ear or not... but maybe it was. Seems that the heavier boned plush and long coat dogs are more likely to have the soft, floppy ears. I'd try the glue and cone, but you need to do it very soon. I think it was a week or two that I left them glued. Also, if your dog will chew, give the dog as many hard things to chew on as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

mine is 11 weeks old and her ears are down down down
tequila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila View Post
mine is 11 weeks old and her ears are down down down
I would not worry at all at 11 weeks, it is when they get to 7 to 8 months old and they are not standing yet, is when you should be concerned. At eight months after paying for show quality and my pups ears are still not standing and my breeder is not helping me out, is when you should be concerned
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cowboys had one floppy ear, which I use TearMender glue to hold up. I actually put a dab in the bent corner, which kind of stuck his ear to his head. It actually worked and didn't bother him.

But I think at 7 or 8 months, I took him for injections. The ear is sort of soft but it does stand now. A training friend just saw him again after several years and said "wait - didn't he used to have a floppy ear?" . Hah.
Suka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
Cowboys had one floppy ear, which I use TearMender glue to hold up. I actually put a dab in the bent corner, which kind of stuck his ear to his head. It actually worked and didn't bother him.

But I think at 7 or 8 months, I took him for injections. The ear is sort of soft but it does stand now. A training friend just saw him again after several years and said "wait - didn't he used to have a floppy ear?" . Hah.
What. Kind if injections...?. I thought I have read everything possable on soft ears and this is the first I heard of injections. Thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1953 View Post
What. Kind if injections...?. I thought I have read everything possable on soft ears and this is the first I heard of injections. Thanks

Oh, the late Janis Novak wrote about it and I went to Dr. Radar of SkyCrest Animal Clinic for taping and injections. I found this about it but I am sure there is really old information on this forum in regards to these injections as well from back when I had it done in - I think 2003 or 2004.

4GSD - Ears Up
Suka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
Oh, the late Janis Novak wrote about it and I went to Dr. Radar of SkyCrest Animal Clinic for taping and injections. I found this about it but I am sure there is really old information on this forum in regards to these injections as well from back when I had it done in - I think 2003 or 2004.

4GSD - Ears Up
Thanks very much
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Very interesting link there. 2 of the shepherds used in the pictures where Mittelwest puppies.. The mother of my shepherd is a Mittelwest dog ...I am wondering now if this is where Nala's soft ear problem is from. I looked for over a year before I purchased. I was so concerned about ofa results and temperament, I never though about soft ears.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Default I'd try taping them anytime past 5-6 months

Remi was about 8 1/2 months when we finally got a little worried her ears wouldn't stand on their own. The Leerburg article is good & you've still got plenty of time to get the ears up, but your pup may need a little help. Is your dog growing pretty fast? Remi is a pretty large boned shep and I think all her calcium went into her bones & teeth...not leaving much for her ears. Plus, she wasn't much of a chewer, ever, so that may have played a role. Our new addition is a major chewer and her ears have been up since about early 5 months & they were up and down from about 10 weeks. Goodluck!
cheburashka95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Nala's ears are still taped.. My trainer did it for me a couple of weeks ago.. The ear forms I had glued in for the previous two months were not much help at all. When the forms fell out het ears flopped again with in a couple of days on the right ear and almost immediately on the left.. I will keep them taped until she is a year old if I have to has the tape does not bother her at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.