Any hope for a 15 month old with one floppy ear? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any hope for a 15 month old with one floppy ear?

Hi all-I'm new to to Germanshepherds.com and thought I would see what other owners thought of the problem we're facing with our sweet, loveable Blue. Blue is a 15 month old male German Shepherd with one floppy ear. This ear has been up and down since about he was about four months old....so sometimes it stands but mostly it is down. We've tried the tee-pee gluing method, the spongeroller gluing method, the earform method. We've given him gelatin, yogart, we feed him Blue Buffalo Dogfood. He's gone through chew bones, chew toys, we've taken him to interesting places to activate the muscles in his ears and stimulate them to stand up (we live near the beach and he loves looking at seagulls and jumping in the water!) He's gone to doggy day care on a regular basis to have fun with other dogs and we only put him in his crate for short periods of time since I work out of my home. In other words--we've tried just about every recommended thing! So I'm wondering if anybody else out there has had the same problem and if their dog had their ears come up after turning a year old. The weird thing is that lately, his ears come up more often than they used to and stay up for longer periods of time. Are we just dreaming that his ears will ever come up and stay up? Any hope for a 15 month old with one floppy ear?-blue-pic-1.jpg

Any hope for a 15 month old with one floppy ear?-blue-pic-2.jpg
Blue2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check out Shadow's pic's She is 15 months old to now. Her ears have been up and down like your boys, and as you say more recently up more often. Mostly though they are down (sort of a comb over lol)
Shadow's seam to be up more when she is being really alert, which probably explains why they are up more often now, she's maturing and showing a different interest in her surroundings.
I'm not holding my breath now for permanently up ears.
Shadow's mum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Does it really matter? I think its cute and unique. Frodo's dad had one floppy ear.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the response--Both of your dogs are gorgeous! It's funny that Shadow seems to be doing the same thing as Blue! And it doesn't matter to us if Blue's ear never comes up- we adore him regardless and he is the goofiest dog ever so the floppy ear does fit him....my husband says it makes him easy to pick out in a crowd! But one does hope for a german shepherd with two erect ears since that is how a german shepherd it supposed to look! I'll keep hoping and wishing---his mother had one ear that kind of listed to the side--not down all the way but not completely up all the way either. His father had perfect ears--smaller and stronger.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

The last time I spoke with the couple that we got Frodo from, they said his sister has a floppy ear. Sometimes its up for days at a time, other days its down. Oh well, maybe someday, it'll come up. He's cute regardless.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At this age, your dog's ears are what they are and they aren't going to change.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome!!

My vet had said giving them calcium supplements can help (don't know if it is true), and constantly making sounds to perk them up will help strengthen the ear. My pups ears were up right away though.
I understand, I really like the prick, erect ears for the breed.
krystyne73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I also have a 15 month old who has floppy ears! Occasionaly one or very rarely both will stand. I have tried different things too. My pups litter has 3 from 9 who have soft ears so it is what it is for me But I do secretly wish they were 'how they are meant to be'...sorry Molly Moo!
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I heard an "old wives tale" and maybe someone else can confirm its validity or not, that massage will help pull blood to the ear thus helping stay erect.

From what I remember, you massage from the base of the head to the tip of the ear, in an upward motion.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Great advice about messaging the ears- although at this point I believe nothing we do will make a difference. I've heard of german shepherds with floppy ears who had their ears come up around the two year mark but I wanted to see if anyone had actually had that happen with their dog or is it just one of those things people say to make you feel better about your dog's floppy ear! I'm afraid this ear is what it is- oh well- love Blue anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.