German Shepherds Forum banner

Ear Stages - a pictorial

242K views 144 replies 115 participants last post by  wolfmonte 
#1 ·
Having a new puppy has reminded me of all those fun ear stages so I went back through all my dogs puppy pics over the years to see the different stages. I've taken the liberty of naming a few. Enjoy!

[The Teenie Ears]

The Unstopping Ears:

The Double Flop:

The Comb Over:

The Flying Nun:

The Cross Over:

To the Left, to the left:

The Seashells:

Dear Lord, please let my ears go up first:

The Teepee:

The One Up:

The Glue Up:

And Perfect:

See less See more
#2 ·
My all time favorite "ear stage" is the Teepee stage. I LOVE this stage, unfortunately both my GSD's ears went up in a matter of days of bringing them home... good and bad I suppose - I like the "wonky ear stage"!!!

#5 ·
ahhh i never got to experience the ear stages! Shasta's ears were down and a couple days later they were up and have been up since. i wanna experience the wonky ears!!

#10 ·
folded ear tip like this? Shasta's ear tip on her, is actually broken. As long as nothing is wrong with the ear, and thats all thats waiting to stand, i dont think you need to worry. Shasta has a decent sized chunk out of part of her ear from when one of her litter mates bit down too hard. i think its adorable! lol.

#11 ·
What a brilliant thread! Beautiful dogs too :wub: I have ear envy as my girl as never gone past the "Flying Nun"

#13 ·
Wonky ear...I love that! I'd like to officially change the stage name of 'seashells' to wonky ear!

Montanna Scout - no gluing taping a 10 week old is NOT necessary. If I have a pup that ears aren't up by 5 months I use the forms. THey could still go up on their own afte that but it starts to get iffy so I go ahead and do it at that point (i've only had to do once on both ears and once on a single ear)

#25 ·
I realized I missed the 'collie' stage (ears up except tips are over). I went back through all pics and don't have a great example but this someone gives the look. If anyone has a good example of the collie stage please post it.

The Collie Stage:
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy253/Vegoutgal/Sigourney8wks006.jpg?t=1288018417[/IMG[/quote]

Like this? :)

[IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/LillyKayla/Norton/Norty1.jpg

#18 ·
This is fantastic! My girl's ears went up pretty quick too, but I definitely remember picking her up with the flying nun ears and thinking..aren't your ears supposed to stand up!? Boy did that change quickly :) Great pics!!

#20 ·
8 weeks we had the 1 up

Then they were both down

The one up happened again quickly followed with a combover

FINALLY at about 4 months, the combover one started pushing towards the sky was floppy and then lo and behold 4.5 months old....

SUCCESS!!!

Here are some pics of these

Reactions: semcat66
#28 ·
Love the ear pictures!

This is Mia at 7 weeks.

Some of her littermates at the same age.

Mia at approximateley 9 weeks.

She did go through the teepee stage for 2 days and a one ear flop for only one day. Except for those, her ears always stood.

#29 ·
Anyone got a pic of "Happy Ears"?
I keep seeing the term in a lot of posts but I don't know what "Happy Ears" should look like

Up ears on mine happened around 4.5 months. She had a stubborn one that took awhile to activate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.