8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default 8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up...

... that is because it is a PUPPY!

People, please, please, please, don't tape your puppys ears and don't be all "OH MY GOD MY PUPPIES EARS ARE NOT UP YET, HE's 9 weeks old... what should I do!"

It takes time for ears to come up and chances are if they are up with three months that they will be all over the place once they go through teething.

IF your puppies ears won't get up AFTER THE TEETHING than you can start thinking about taping. But please, please, please wait until they went through teething!

You don't have to be worried just because your 8/9/10 week old puppy has floppy ears. IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL!
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ha, that's what I figured, but it's a little scary sometimes when you see a bunch of pups younger than yours with their ears already up. Hey, they say that chewing on stuff helps the muscles that hold up their ears. If rawhide is no good, and beef bones are "teeth wreckers", what should they chew?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can we get a sticky at the top of this section of the forum?

This is a pretty common question and mrs k seems to have summed it up with her post.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Can we get a sticky at the top of this section of the forum?

This is a pretty common question and mrs k seems to have summed it up with her post.
Yes, but I'd extend the time-frame to 14-15 weeks! Only problem is, people ask first and read stickies later anyway. Ughhhh...
Relayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackviolet View Post
Ha, that's what I figured, but it's a little scary sometimes when you see a bunch of pups younger than yours with their ears already up. Hey, they say that chewing on stuff helps the muscles that hold up their ears. If rawhide is no good, and beef bones are "teeth wreckers", what should they chew?
Jax's ears were up at 8 weeks... then down... then back up at 10... after that just the driver's side, then after THAT, they both flopped on top of his head. When his teeth finally all fell out, they were both perfectly horizontal. A few weeks after that (almost 6 months) they're standing and becoming more firm every day.
Those puppies you see with their ears up are the ones that just happen to have their ears up that day and their owners are parading them all over and taking pics of them to drive everyone else mental! I'm certain of it!
Jax's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Jax's mom....Ava's have been up since I got her at 7 weeks. They haven't gone down at all...not even for a second.

I'm disappointed actually. I love the pics of the floppy ears, the ear teepee's, the wonky puppy ears. I got shortchanged

Mrs K....I agree with your statement. People need to just wait it out, they will stand up eventually!! Heck, I'm waiting patiently (not) for Ava's to fall!!
www.southeastgsdrescue.org

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
AvaLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I get the panic. I'm not saying I wouldn't love my dog just as much if his ears didn't stand up, but I love the intense, intelligent look of a classic GSD. Floppy ears give the dog a completely different look. If I got another rescue or a pup from a dubious breeder, then I'd accept that my GSD might not look like the breed standard. Actually, my rescue and BYB GSDs are gorgeous. However, when I researched like heck, and spent a small fortune on a puppy, with certain expectations in mind, then I would feel some measure of disappointment if his ears didn't stand up and he didn't look like a GSD. Again, doesn't mean I'd care for him any less, it just means I'd be disappointed. I'd get over it, I have no doubt. (I'm hoping the ear forms work.)
Whitedog404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Reminds me of my Daughter's belly button and my wife's fretting about it. When she was weeks/months old it was protruding a bit like a little button. My wife ( who is Khmer ) was freaking out big time and I was saying a) Who cares, she is healthy and b) Give it time ! c) There will be bigger things to worry about....

Now..at 2 years...guess who has the cutest little belly button town ?

Of course, if she had floppy dumbo ears then I would be taking her to a plastic surgeon in Bangkok to have them stapled to the side of her head...................NOT.
kidkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

It's called otoplasty and it's perfectly ok to have done if a person had such ears. I only know this because I had a friend who was a nurse in a plastic surgeon's office, not because I have or had floppy ears. My dog, however, is another story. Well, not so much at the moment because of those handy little forms.
Whitedog404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

raw beef bones and bully sticks are great for pups to chew....helps strengthen those muscles and ease the teething pain.

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
jakeandrenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.