8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up... - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
How old is this baby??? I agree with the OP, Mrs. K, don't fiddle-fart around with the ears on babies this young, you and your vet may do more good than harm.

I have not seen the tampon used this way, I read about people using a hair curler. But that book was written in the seventies, when curlers were typical. Does anyone use curlers any more?

But I digress. A good method of clueing is cutting some molefoam in the shape of the ear above the little knotch. Use new skin as a glue to glue the molefoam in the hear and then curve it into shape, with your hands and hold it that way with tape for a few days.

But this pup's ears look like they are doing fine, and I wouldn't weigh down the ear with anything, like this picture.
Thanks for the advice. I too thought weighing it down didn't seem like a poor idea.

Oh, he will be 16 weeks two days from now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM

12 weeks old One ear not standing

After reading a few, I am relieved somewhat. Riley has one ear that was the first to pop up but is still drooping while the other is standing strong. I guess we just wait a little longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	193114   Click image for larger version

Name:	1911928_10202011823805792_148985039_n.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	193122  
post #73 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM

I wonder about my pup, Kali.

She's just over four months (born end of november 2013)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	197249  

post #74 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 PM

Kooper is 13 weeks (almost 14). His ears have not stood firm yet, but they were up pretty consistently for a couple weeks. His right ear is now completely down, even more than it was when we brought him home. I caught him sleeping upside down in his crate, squishing both of his ears. After that, I noticed they would be down in the morning and come up later in the day. He has continued sleeping like that, and now the right one is fully down. My only concern is that I read that they can be damaged by that. Also, that right ear seems to be creasing all the way down at the base
Here is a picture of him 1 week ago and today

8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up...-imageuploadedbypg-free1397257136.365692.jpg

1 week ago (on the right)

8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up...-imageuploadedbypg-free1397257218.202743.jpg

Today

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #75 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 06:02 AM

I would have you vet check to see if the cartilage in the ears are not broken. If the cartilage is good, just have patience They will eventually stand. Mt pup is 17 weeks and we have had one ear up and then fall. But I can tell they will come up as they are uncurling and when she puts her head down, they straighten up as well as when she sleeps on her back. Her mom's ears did not stand up for quite awhile when she was a pup. Also I feel if they are going to be large dog, it takes a little longer. Themother GSD is 86 pounds and Piper appears she be large also.
Flanjet likes this.
post #76 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 AM

I actually looked back at the pictures from when we brought him home and the ear looks about the same to me. I think I will wait it out a little and see what it does. He's young so I have plenty of time to fix it if there's a problem. He's majorly teething right now. If it hasn't come up in a couple weeks when he is due for his next shots, I will talk to his vet about it.

post #77 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM

So Kooper has a cut on his face (long story) and has been in a cone for 24 hours and now the ear is standing on its own again, without the cone. Interesting. Made me feel better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page