8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up... - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM

I am going to pick this 8.5 weeks old puppy this weekend.

I believe I shouldn't be worried about its ears based on what I have read so far in the forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 PM

My pups ears were completely floppy until we went to play in the garden at about 11 weeks old. She kept pricking them up to listen to the birds, and then the following 3 days or so they just went up! Now we have a bit of a "teepee" going on and I love it, it's so cute. I was a little worried and impatient too as everyone wants their dog to have the proper GSD look.

Your pup at 8.5 weeks is way ahead of how my pups were at that age, so no I wouldn't worry!
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM

Otis had completely floppy ears until 18 weeks when they started going up and down. The furry hat comb over stage lasted about a fortnight, and by 23 weeks they were properly up. If his ears had stayed soft that really would have been no problem - he looked well cute.

Otis - white GSD b 4/8/11. Growing like a beanstalk!

Charlie - RIP 8/12/10

post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
But he shows his emotions through his ears. When he wants loving he'll come up and put his head on my lap and his ears will be laid back. When I talk to him, they'll pick up. .
Love this - its exactly what mine does. Ears flat down and whole body wagging. It's sooooo appealing

Otis - white GSD b 4/8/11. Growing like a beanstalk!

Charlie - RIP 8/12/10
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 PM

One of Rivers ears was floppy until he was about 22 weeks old, then they went up for a week, then back down. It went up and down a few times before it finally stood up for good when he was about 6 and a half months old (about 26 weeks)

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Last edited by Laney; 02-24-2012 at 08:53 PM.
post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

Patience is so hard to have with those GSD ears. I know mine was wearing thin. I was sure that ear was never going to go up.

This was the middle of January -

Soon after that all his puppy teeth were lost and as soon as they came in I did the BreatheRight strips for 2 days. Thats all it took. They just needed a little boost.

This was about 2 weeks later -

And this was just the other day -

So for those who have "late bloomers", don't fret! It will happen!!!

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Master Member

Sheldon's isn't going up (I'm pretty sure). The crease in his ear is too deep, and after breath right strips for about 2 months, they still wouldn't stay up longer than a couple days without. *shrug* He's still cute as the dickens, so I'm just not going to bother anymore =3

Sheldon (WGSD) 5/20/2011
Oliver (ball python) 10/10 (gotcha day)
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 AM

Does touching/massaging your pups ears make them weaker? My 4 month old Bronson loves having his ears massaged. (He always leans into you and makes pleased grunting sounds, tail wagging like crazy. Too cute!) His ears are always up when he's alert (avitar), and the left one is a little weak and folds in the middle when he's relaxed. He's been this way since I got him at 3.5 months.

I figured they'd both go up on their own eventually, so I haven't been worrying. But if I'm doing something that could potentially make them weaker or not stand up at all, then please tell me!

He also has a Kong Extreme in his pen for him to chew on. And as for rawhide and bones, I thought they were dangerous for puppies . . . are bully sticks safe for pups since they aren't technically rawhide or bone?

Last edited by Spiderlash; 03-05-2012 at 12:57 AM.
post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to keekee
Hey Spiderlash, I have been breeding GSd for 18 yrs and have come across a few GSd with floppy ears, touching or massaging is not the culprit but rather sometimes it's in the genes,, pups with heavy ear set will have more trouble picking them up and sometimes they will shake them down and eventually the ear will not stand, so I have found a very easy procedure that has had very good results for me. buy a bottle of tear mender(found at Tractor supply) labeled for clothing but very safe for dogs.buy some medium size foam hair rollers (Sally"s) put the glue on the roller all the way around and insert the roller(make sure plastic insert is removed) inside the floppy ear and wrap the ear around the roller if they can over lap better yet. it will remain there for about 2 weeks the glue will come off by itself and it will have trained the ear to stand erect. please dont wait for them to go up by themselves if at 4 months they are not up they need help dont risk it. oh and once you have placed the roller inside the ear immedialty distract him so his attention is not focused on the roller inside his ear, he will forget in a few minutes and will not mess with it.
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Magnum - 15wks. old

I had just posted a thread about Magnums ears, him being 15wks old as of yesterday and still not up. His brother from the same litter that my friend owns, his ears are both poker straight up =/

8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up...-aaa.jpg8/9/10+ Weeks old and ears are not up...-dd.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page