German Shepherds Forum banner

Dry/Frozen Proteins? Glucosamine?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  MT523 
#1 ·
Hello my pup Halo is almost 13 months old! For awhile I was mixing dry food and frozen Primal. I ended up getting a funky smelling bag of Primal a few months ago and haven't given it to her since... but I will try again now that I'm set on staying with Fromm Four-Star.

So at the moment I'm feeding her beef Fromm. Should I also feed her beef Primal or can I go with something like duck?

Is it ok to start adding glucosamine to her diet? One brand I see is all life stages but recommends 4 tablets a day for her size. Seems a bit much?

#2 ·
You can mix proteins, but I'd go 1 thing at a time, slow so you know what to back off on if something doesn't agree with her. Duck is probably the last thing I'd try, that and rabbit. I use liquid glucosamine that also has msm, mussel,ester c, and condroitin sulfate. You can look up the different benefits of those ingredients and which sources are better.

#4 ·
You need to be careful of where companies source their ingredients. Could be "feed grade" instead of high quality ingredients that go thru testing program's. A lot of items made for "PETS" are not of high quality and could come from China.

This is one you may want to consider. Begin with very small doses and work up to recommended dose. It gave my 2 loose stool introducing to quickly.

K9 Level 5000:http://liquidhealthpets.com/k9-level-5000 - Contains a comprehensive blend of natural, cutting-edge support ingredients to further enhance its effectiveness. These ingredients include Aquamin® Algae mineral blend, enzyme support from Bromelain, antioxidant support from grape seed extract, and Boswellia.
Liquid Health’s™ most powerful formula yet! 5200 mg of Glucosamine Hcl and sulfate forms per serving. With a colossal 100 mg of Hyaluronic Acid, 1000 mg of Opti-MSM®, and 1000 mg of Chondroitin, K9 Level 5000 contains exceptionally high doses of the most widely used joint ingredients found in one product.
Keep refrigerated

"K9-Power is a family-owned business, and our manufacturing facility in Benicia, California, is USDA, FDA, cGMP and Kosher certified. We are proud to use only the purest ingredients from premier human-grade suppliers that meet all GMP (good manufacturing practices). K9-Power adheres to the strict ingredient requirements of the National Animal Supplement Council and is preparing for the council's required independent audit for certification. Meeting the highest quality standards has always been, and will always remain, the hallmark of K9-Power®.LLC."

About the ingredients: http://www.liquidhealthpets.com/downloads/K9products2011.pdf

Under 10 lbs ½ teaspoon

10-24 lbs 1 teaspoon

25-49 lbs 1 teaspoon in AM + 1 teaspoon in PM

50-100 lbs 2 teaspoons in AM + 1 teaspoons PM

Over 100 lbs 2 teaspoons in AM + 2 teaspoons in PM

Active Ingredients per Fluid Ounce

Glucosamine Sulfate (shellfish) USP
2600 mg
Glucosamine Hcl (shellfish) USP
2600 mg
Chondroitin Sulfate USP
1000 mg
(beef and/or porcine, shark cartilage)

MSM (Opti-MSM® Brand)
1000 mg
Hyaluronic Acid (as Sodium Hyaluronate)
100 mg
Ascorbic Acid
200 mg
Joint PLUS (Proprietary Blend)
Aquamin® Red Algae mineral blend (Lithothamnion Calcareum), Bromelain, Boswellia Serreta, Grape Seed Extract

Moms :)

#9 ·
Thanks for all the information and the link. That sounds like a **** of a product that I'm interested in. But I might start with something a bit less on cost till I decide if I should or shouldn't add anymore supplements to her diet!

Op- I change proteins almost daily but I feed raw. I think if you add/change one protein in you dog's food slowly you'll discover what agrees with it and what doesn't. I give my dog NuJoint Plus joint supplement.
Someday I'd love to feed raw (other than frozen), but need a lot more time and research before I attempt. That's cool you can change proteins almost daily. I'm curious, do you know how long it took you/your dogs stomach to be able to do that?

What are you trying to accomplish with supplementing? That's always the first thing I ask myself. Also, what is the research supporting your the benefit of a particular supplement? That's the second question I ask myself.

The research on glucosamine supplementation in dogs for arthritis is not very good right now...
LEGS Glucosamine Study Sows Little Evidence of Real Benefit | The SkeptVet

Why not add some beef trachea into your feeding? You can get chondroitin and glucosamine *from food* -- in a healthy, young dog, it would likely be all that the body needs...in a form that the body recognizes and knows what to do with. Although they may not be easy to find raw, you can easily find them dried (they make a great chew treat):
https://www.bestbullysticks.com/beef-trachea-dog-chews-6-inch
Those are great questions and made me think. I guess I just want to accomplish giving my dog the best possible food/treats/chews and now supplements (I haven't tried any yet) to keep her happy and healthy. I don't know about the research involved but the first words that come to mind for healthy would be: joints, digestive system, and energy so if I can find supplements to help those 3 things I want to add it to her diet.

So research is saying glucosamine doesn't really help with arthritis? I give her a good amount of exercise so I want to help her joints stay strong/oiled up and ready to go.

I didn't even think about beef trachea. I haven't given any to her in the last few weeks but dried trachea is a chew that I get from my local pet store and bestbullysticks.com! I guess I just want to give her something more concentrated, even if it may or may not be necessary right now.

Thank you for all the replies!

#8 ·
What are you trying to accomplish with supplementing? That's always the first thing I ask myself. Also, what is the research supporting your the benefit of a particular supplement? That's the second question I ask myself.

The research on glucosamine supplementation in dogs for arthritis is not very good right now...
LEGS Glucosamine Study Sows Little Evidence of Real Benefit | The SkeptVet

Why not add some beef trachea into your feeding? You can get chondroitin and glucosamine *from food* -- in a healthy, young dog, it would likely be all that the body needs...in a form that the body recognizes and knows what to do with. Although they may not be easy to find raw, you can easily find them dried (they make a great chew treat):
https://www.bestbullysticks.com/beef-trachea-dog-chews-6-inch

#10 ·
I went from kibble for 9-10 months to Honest Kitchen beef for 4-5 months to frozen prepared raw beef then just started experimenting with different proteins. I know she gets goopy eyes, itchy and soft stools with chicken, no problem with other proteins. I rotate between beef, lamb, turkey and duck, all good. I spend ~ $300/month on my dogs food and no more money at the vet for GI, itching, staph, yeast...

#11 ·
That's awesome. Not that I've been looking but if I can find a reasonable source for raw I will give it a try after more research. For now I'll get another dry bag of beef and a couple smaller bags of the other proteins to see how she does. Will do the same with Primal or Stella & Chewy's.

#13 ·
That does show how effective raw can be when done correctly. It could be another year for me to really attempt it but Ive always been interested :). I'm going to slowly start a rotation with dry, prepared frozen raw, and raw beef... See how that goes and try new proteins.
Thank you for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.