German Shepherds Forum banner

Up food content or switch to higher caloric food.

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
Apollo will be 1 yr old in a few weeks. Up until about two months ago he has been an ideal weight. Lately he has been pretty thin. We was at the vet last week and I asked them what they thought. They said he could stand to gain about 5 lbs. Right now he is eating fromm heartland gold. Large breed adult. 4 cups daily plus 1/2 pound of raw meat. His current weight is 75#. Same as it was last month while we were there. So what is the better option. Moving him to one of fromms higher calorie foods or upping his current food consumption. Or just wait it out and see. He is 100% healthy. So no health issues to worry about.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm not so sure I would worry to much unless he starts to lose weight. My girl was 63-65 lbs. around a year. She stayed that way until around 2.5 and everyone comment on how thin she was. Vet thought she looked good. Without changing a thing she jumped up to 73 lbs. at her 3 year check up. I don't think your boy looks too thin.
A little thin is always better than fatter. Better for the joints. As long he is otherwise healthy I wouldn't try to put weight on at this age. They seem to fill out on their own around 2.5-3.
If he is highly active then calorie increase won't hurt as long as you are careful to not put on too much weight. Tends to go on much easier than it comes off in most cases.
Just my opinion.

#7 ·
Here are some "Fat Balls" or "Satin Balls" recipes.
You can give 1 or 2 per day.

Check recipes for ingredients that your dog may be sensitive to.

Fat Balls Recipe #1
1 lb ground beef (use ground chuck - "hamburger" may be to fatty if dog has stomach issues)
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 jar all natural peanut butter (make SURE that it does NOT contain a sugar substitute, especially Xylitol)
1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ (you may want to use an organic product: https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Green-Wheat-Germ-Organic/dp/B0090C3ONE )
2 packets Knox Gelatin
1 doz egg yolks
1 1/4 cup of Quaker Oats or Organic Oats soaked in Raw Goat’s Milk
Mix up, form balls, freeze.

Fat Ball Recipe #2 - NON Grain
(you may want to cut this recipe in half)
10 pounds of Ground Meat (Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, *note that pork should be frozen for two weeks before use), or a mixture! Anything 20% fat or more)
1 pound of grated Cheddar Cheese
4 cans of Tuna Fish - drained
1 (18 oz) jar of peanut butter (make SURE that it does NOT contain a sugar substitute, especially Xylitol)
1 (12-16 oz) bottle of Unsulphered Molasses Here is an organic product: https://www.amazon.com/Molasses-Bla...ywords=organic+unsulfured+blackstrap+molasses
1 block of Cream Cheese
1 box of Plain Knox Gelatin (found by the Jello)
1 15 oz. can of Pumpkin (No spices, just plain)
1 (24 oz) tub of full fat Cottage Cheese
8 oz of Dehydrated Potato Flakes -

If you can't find this, try PLAIN Instant Mashed Potatoes. They will work BUT……. READ Labels! Beware of Preservatives and other things that may be added such as BHA, citric acid and sodium bisulfate. The potatoes may include sodium acid pyrophosphate and dipotassium phosphate. Silicon dioxide may be added to prevent the potato flakes from forming clumps during storage. Instant mashed potatoes may include spices, salt and natural and artificial flavors.

Here is an organic product: https://www.amazon.com/Edward-Sons-...3659594&sr=8-2&keywords=organic+potato+flakes

Directions:
Mix all of your ingredients together in a LARGE bowl, dish pan or pot. It's best to mix 2-3 ingredients at a time as it blends a little easier. After mixing together well, put into the fridge and chill for 30-40 minutes. Then take out of frig and roll into balls (a little smaller than a golf ball), place on cookie sheet and freeze. After frozen remove from pan and place balls in a freezer zip lock bag and return to freezer. Thaw before feeding.

Moms :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.