German Shepherds Forum banner

Salty sardines

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Thecowboysgirl 
#1 ·
I bought a can of sardines for the boy to try. I paid twice as much for the kind with no added salt. Is it okay to give them the salty kind?

#6 · (Edited)
My dog ( who passed recently and was two months shy of 12 years). Loved and I mean loved smoked sardines from a can. He would have taken sardines over cooked salmon or steak. They can be very salty is the only problem. I would buy the boneless skinless ones in olive oil or water and give it to him in moderation( rinsing them off before). Never had a problem. I would wait if your dog is young though until they are 16 months. The last two days before my dog passed he no longer wanted his beloved smoked sardines or favorite dog treat and I knew than with tears in my eyes he was on his way to the rainbow bridge. I purchased the boneless skinless sardines from trader joes( if you have that in your area). Sardines and olive oil is good for there coat and health. By the way they are nice human food as well.:)

#7 ·
If you watch Amazon, there's a relatively inexpensive 12-pack in water w/No salt added, it occasionally goes on sale and has free Prime shipping. There are a bunch of other choices (olive oil, sustainably harvested, etc).

The non-salted tins are a lot more expensive at my grocery store, for whatever reason.

I don't feed sardines every day (just rotate some in a few times a month), so a 12 pack lasts me a little while.

I've tried the regular (salted) variety and they are SALTY. Blech. But the dogs sure scarf them down.

#8 ·
I switched over to fresh sardines because of the salt. I used to just rinse them. I don't think the fresh have the salt, right?

#10 ·
I split the tin (it was small) by two meals. He didn't seem to love them, ate other stuff first, but he did eat them. I was kinda hoping their would be a yummy food for him but maybe not. I was intending to put them in the rotation too.

We have Prime. I will look for a bargain on there, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.