German Shepherds Forum banner

Costco rotisserie chicken carcass for bone broth?

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Solamar 
#1 ·
Our four month old GSD has struggled with Coccidia and Giardia. The upset stomach has effected her appetite so she's not eating well and is skinny (about 28 lbs). I had heard about making a bone broth to mix on kibble (carcass, water and a couple tbsp of appl cider vineager slow cooked for two days, then strained), had a few costco rotisserie chicken carcasses handy, and she loves it!

The lady at our feed store thought it was a horrible idea because of the seasonings on the chicken. Thoughts? The skin and most of the meat is gone, would the seasoning effect the carcass? My girl is eating much better now, and the carcasses are so handy that it seems like a waste to throw them out, but I certainly do not want to be creating a problem for her...

#2 ·
I would rather use a raw bone to make broth than something that has already been baked. I don't think the seasoning is a big deal, but the nutrients are not as high due to the previous baking. Pick up a raw chicken and debone it, then make bone broth from that carcass(or a hen turkey). I made bone broth from beef neck bones, it stunk but the dogs loved it. I decided not to do that when I can't open windows.

#3 ·
If you already have the rotisserie chicken bones handy, you may as well rinse them and add to the bone broth pot.

I do agree with Onyxgirl, you'll get a richer more gelatinous broth using a bunch of raw bones. Keep a ziplock bag in your freezer, add discarded bones to it from your human cooking (chicken, beef, venison, whatever you tend to eat). When you have a big bag full, cook up a batch. After you make a few batches you'll be able to see the difference in consistency.

You can often find cheaply priced raw neck bones (beef or pork) in the meat department or from a butcher. Those work extremely well.

#5 ·
Can't really answer the question, but I had gone to Costco unloaded the car. Put the 3.5 lbs rotisserie chicken on the stove. Ran a couple more errands and came home about 30 minutes later and the only thing left of the chicken was the container and the string that ties the legs together. I have no clue as to where he ate the chicken because there was not one single solitary piece of evidence anywhere else in the house, not one shred.

#6 ·
It is good....I have to put it in the way back of the van so I don't crack into it on the way home, lol!

#8 ·
I've used rotisserie carcasses to make broth, not necessarily for the dogs. I can't comment on the nutritional value, but it didn't seem particularly spicy--at least until I added spices. I wouldn't have a problem putting it on my dog's kibble, but they aren't having digestion issues.

#10 ·
Many thanks for the comments! We are about a week past a five day course of Panacur and her poops are looking great, little Lincoln logs... Hopefully the Giardia is behind us.

My concern is getting her to eat more. Her kibble is Fromms LBP which she pretty much ignores unless I add something good to it. I really don't want to make a picky eater so I tried the "tough love" of she will eat before starving to death. But with the parasites and low weight, I caved in after 36 hrs of not eating. The chicken bone broth is more to make the kibble appetizing than as a nutritional supplement. Seems to be working and I'm glad that the consensus is that it's not bad for her. Her favorite is a raw beef and green tripe mixture from a local company Soul'y Raw, but it's just too expensive to use all the time.

We have been getting tons of rain, which is making me very paranoid about reinfecting with giardia. She sticks her nose in EVERYTHING while walking. Fingers crossed we are past the parasites and she'll start putting on some weight ;)

#11 ·
I think would be o.k. But check the ingredient list or ask for it at counter. Packed fresh meals have a HUGE preservative list.
Find a butcher who will sell you chicken feet and cow feet (cut up). Add 4-5 chicken feet in with the carcasses. or 3-4 and couple chunks of cow.

L-Glutamine to help heal the GI

#12 ·
.You may want to keep some Kochi Free on hand for Giardia/Coccidia problems. This is a natural herbal that has helped many dogs on here with Giardia when other vet prescribed meds did not do the "whole" job. I give this to my dogs periodically throughout the year even if they do not have a problem.

*An Herbal combination called “Kocci-Free” now re-branded as “Kochi Free” (Labeled for Giardia and Coccidia)
“Contains organic anti-microbial and anti-parasitic herbs.”
 Build and stimulate the immune system
 Rid the body of microscopic parasites
 Kills viruses, bacteria and fungus
 Soothe the digestive system”
Purchase here: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Amber-Technology-Kocci-Free/560002.aspx

I know we can't all afford to feed our dogs "Organic" or "Grass Fed", myself included, but I do purchase those types of bones for my broth.
Here is some "Food For Thought" by Sally Fallon of Weston Price Foundation - Referenced by Mercola: Bone Broth: One of Your Most Healing Diet Staples

"Perhaps the most important caveat when making broth, whether you're using chicken or beef, is to make sure they're from organically-raised, pastured or grass-fed animals. As noted by Fallon, chickens raised in confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs) tend to produce stock that doesn't gel, and this gelatin has long been valued for its therapeutic properties.8
Besides that, CAFO animals are fed an unnatural diet that is not beneficial for their intestinal makeup, and they're also given a variety of veterinary drugs and growth promoters. You don't want any of these potentially harmful additives in your broth, so make sure to start off with an organically-raised product."

Moms :)

#13 ·
End of this week I bring in the fecal re-test. She seems to be doing MUCH better so fingers are crossed. Our local feed store stocks kochi free, will definitely give it a try if needed.

Interesting info about CAFO animals and bone broth, I was curious why my bone broth does not congeal. Think I will search out some higher quality bones if making bone stock becomes a regular thing for us. Looking forward to see the look on my butchers face when I ask for "organically-raised, pastured or grass-fed" bones ;O

Regarding the smell, the chicken stock smells fine. Any suggestions for bones that won't stink up the house too bad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.