German Shepherds Forum banner

Kibble article

763 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Femfa 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I read the article but it seems to me that they are just trying to promote their own food (coming soon to the stores near you, lol)
IMHO it's just another sales pitch. I'll follow it though because it's always good to leave options open and you just never know, meanwhile sticking with what works for my dog(even though it's $80 a bag, lol)

#3 ·
"On top of the bacteria risk, frozen raw foods need to be thawed and freeze-dried raw foods need to be rehydrated, inconveniences that can take hours, plus also leave you with messy wet bowls to clean."

Yeah, but what's one more dish to wash...? You wash your own dishes every day, don't you?

I agree with most of this article but there are no citations for sources for where they got this information. It's on the right track, though.

#4 ·
It's interesting that he uses Listeria as an example when it's primarily found in frozen vegetables or processed meats, which you wouldn't exactly be feeding your dog anyways when on a raw diet (see: https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/prevention.html). As for Salmonella, well, I agree that's a risk. And realistically so is Listeria. But we put ourselves at just as much risk by eating frozen vegetables, deli meat, or anything processed as well. Does that mean that we should stop doing that just in case we end up with it? Likely not, considering the chances are low and that recalls are posted immediately if there's a concern. Unlike most kibbles, the raw food you purchase for your dogs is often from butchers or stores that are strongly regulated. And if not from a store, then likely from an honest farmer who would know if something were wrong with their stock.

It honestly sounds like a sales pitch to scare the average consumer to a "better" option, when in reality this guy has no background in animal specific nutrition OR a strong background in animal genetics, and that to me is enough to make me shrug and say "pass". Adopting one dog and having a wife who is a vet isn't exactly enough to convince me that your food is going to be any better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.