German Shepherds Forum banner

Is Joint Support Supplement Good For Puppies?

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Momto2GSDs 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My boy Leo is 11 months now. I always wanted to add some joint support into his current diet since he has been a pretty active dog since very young, and we do lots of off-leash hiking and fetching with ball launcher everyday... I'm a little concerned that might be too much for his joint...

So I've heard lots of good things about Nupro Joint Support. Is it a good choice for puppies? If not do you have any recommendations?

Thank you all!

#2 ·
Hi utopianu and WELCOME! :greet:

Here is some info for you.

Nupro:NUPRO is made with fresh quality health food ingredients that are human-grade, not animal-grade.” (that’s what makes this company noteworthy!)
Ingredients: GLUCOSAMINE COMPLEX (500 mg per scoop): is our own special formula that is an easily absorbed natural substance that stimulates the production of proteoglycans which help to maintain the health and resiliency of connective tissues and restores the damaged cells of cartilage tissue. Glucosamine complex helps promote the synovial fluid that lubricates the joints.
METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE (MSM) (300 mg per scoop): is a natural source of bioavailable sulfur, essential for the growth and repair of tendons, cartilage and other connective tissues. MSM is also an anti-inflammatory agent.
ESTER-C* CHELATED MINERAL BLEND (300 mg per scoop): boosts the absorption of the glucosamine complex and MSM and promotes collagen formation.
NUPRO Joint Support also contains Norwegian kelp, flaxseed, nutritional yeast culture (not the same as Brewer’s yeast, but should be used in moderation if dog is yeast sensitive), desiccated liver, bee pollen, garlic, calcium citrate, lecithin and lactobacillus acidophilus.
NUPRO is made with fresh, premium ingredients that are human-grade quality. NUPRO does NOT contain any preservatives, sugar, fillers, corn, wheat, grains, or by-products.

NuVet Product Purity: http://www.nuvet.com/products.html?sectionid=32 More than mere vitamins, NuVet® goes beyond industry standards by using natural, human-grade ingredients that are microscopically tested for purity and potency. We then utilize a FDA registered laboratory for formulation and specially compound using state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques.
NuJoint Plus: http://www.nuvet.com/products.html?sectionid=18

K9 Level 5000:http://liquidhealthpets.com/k9-level-5000 - Contains a comprehensive blend of natural, cutting-edge support ingredients to further enhance its effectiveness. These ingredients include Aquamin® Algae mineral blend, enzyme support from Bromelain, antioxidant support from grape seed extract, and Boswellia.
Liquid Health’s™ most powerful formula yet! 5200 mg of Glucosamine Hcl and sulfate forms per serving. With a colossal 100 mg of Hyaluronic Acid, 1000 mg of Opti-MSM®, and 1000 mg of Chondroitin, K9 Level 5000 contains exceptionally high doses of the most widely used joint ingredients found in one product.
Keep refrigerated
About the ingredients: http://www.liquidhealthpets.com/downloads/K9products2011.pdf

Moms :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the detailed info! I haven't heard of the other 2 brand but I'll definitely check them out! I'm just a little hesitant since he's still pretty young, will any of them cause any damages to the organs if given on daily basis, and, throughout his entire life?

#11 ·
I just "stumbled" onto the "Chicken Feet" thing myself! Rocky luvs them and they freak my wife out. :p

The first time he did not eat the skin so I threw the rements inot his kibble and he gobbled it up. Not he just eats the whole thing stright away.

I had no idea about the "glucosamine" thing at first ... it was just a different treat ... but the "glucosamine" content ... that was a bonus. :)

#15 ·
Hi Gsd.remi,

Fantastic that you ordered Gut Sense! All of Dr. Dobias' products are awesome.

The chicken feet would not be good for your dog at this point since she is have gut inflammation, just in case she is sensitive to chicken.

Nupro has yeast in it which is another gut offender, and it contain flax just fyi, since you are considering starting an elimination diet. :wink2:

The other joint products I mention earlier in this thread are high quality.

When you purchase one, begin with small doses and work up depending on how her gut accepts it.
But, IF you are starting an elimination diet to see if you can get her gut under control, I would not start anything new except the probiotic. Otherwise, it can skew the results.

Elimination diets should only have the main food and 1 treat containing only the matching protein. They should get nothing else for the trial period. Then, you can begin to add 1 item to their food and see how the gut reacts for a couple of weeks before adding another one.
Feel free to pm me if you have questions about this.

Moms :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.