German Shepherds Forum banner

Probiotics question

8K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  DDRGSD56 
#1 ·
After the last bout with the diarrhea/pudding poops, I felt like the probiotic tablets the vet gave us seemed to really help. We were prescribed Propectalin tablets, about 5 days worth I believe. We are starting to get very soft stools again and occasional diarrhea. I'd like to try some probiotics to see if will help before her next vet appt in a week.

Those who give your dogs probiotics - what do you use and is it daily? I know several of you always recommend that Gut cleanse or Sundae stuff(please excuse me for butchering the names I can't remember ATM), but are those just a quick fix or is it something given on a regular basis?
As always, thank you all for the sound advice here and comforting words.

#4 ·
Propectalin tablets contain mostly Kaolin which is clay. Similar to things like human kaopectate/immodium. Not something I'd keep them on permanently.

Gypsy's probiotic list is a good one!

I give probiotics every day.
Since over 70% of the immune system lies in the gut, it a good idea to keep it very healthy. ;)

Yes, I'm curious too..... what is the exact brand name of food and treats you are using, and any other supplements?

Moms :)

#5 ·
okay , so what you have been prescribed , Propectalin , is basically kaopectate and a singular strain of bacteria which is the same one in Fortiflora , Enterococcus faecium. Speaking to formulators at some labs this is a controversial strain and is not allowed in some facilities.

I can speak for Sunday Sundae , -- 14 strains of probiotics - that's diversity -- including a recent increase in the amount of lactobacillus rahmnosus , and having super strain
16 digestive enzymes , ingredients which are anti inflammatory, heal the mucosal lining of the gut , stimulate glutathione production, act as natural pain killers (MSM USA sourced) , nourish , and make comfortable .
Prebiotics are included to create a synbiotic formula.

Recognize that Sunday Sundae goes far beyond being a straight source of probiotics.

I like the other products mentioned and am happy to be in the company of them .

I too would like to know what you are feeding the dog.

The new label will reflect the entire list of probiotics and digestive enzymes .

#7 ·
@GypsyGhost we are currently on Nutro large breed puppy. We have switched her food once since bringing her home so I may question the vet about that again at next visit, I'm sure he will suggest something if we think it's truly the food. I just don't know how to effectively rule that out quite yet. Guess all we can do is switch and see.

#8 ·
@Momto2GSDs the treats we are currently using are Zuke's mini naturals and Crazy Dog Train Me treats(because both are small and easy to work with) for when we are working with her on obedience and when she's at class. I also give her half a piece of dentastix when I do give it.

#10 · (Edited)
@Momto2GSDs the treats we are currently using are Zuke's mini naturals and Crazy Dog Train Me treats(because both are small and easy to work with) for when we are working with her on obedience and when she's at class. I also give her half a piece of dentastix when I do give it.
Have you tried Slippery Elm?

Crazy Dog Train Me Treats Ingredients: Pork Liver, Barley Flour, Whole Ground Potatoes, Sucrose (SUGAR!!!!! B A D for gut), Chicken (sensitivities for some dogs) (or Beef or Bacon), Potato Starch, Glycerine, Wheat Bran, Gelatin, Rice Flour, Flax Seed (causes gut problem for some dogs), Salt, Natural Smoke Flavor, Garlic Powder, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Mustard, Citric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary. TOO many grains.....feeds yeast in gut!

Zukes
sold out to Nestles/Purina.....I don't trust ingredients!

Dentastix: RICE FLOUR, WHEAT STARCH, GLYCERIN, GELATIN, GUM ARABIC, CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, POWDERED CELLULOSE (sawdust), SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, IODIZED SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C], D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, MORE grains! AND made by Pedigree!

You can make your own! Here's my recipe.

EASY HOMEMADE MEAT TREATS

Items needed:
Non Stick Fry Pan
Large Round Steak or Pork Chops or Calves Liver or Lamb or Goat or any whole meats your dog can eat.
Scissors
1. Trim off all fat on the edges and in-between and if it has bone, remove that too. If using Calves Liver, thaw, and blot well with paper towel to remove excess blood.
2. Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat) and cut the meat into manageable pieces.
3. Choose a fry pan (non stick works the easiest) that will hold the amount of meat you bought, and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam.
4. Heat the pan until really hot and drop in the meat pieces in to sizzle. Keep your heat high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
5. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt if desired.
6. Let it sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice if there is too much) and remove from pan when the middle is pink (especially the Liver or it will crumble). Place on to paper towel, blot and let cool.
7. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
8. Place small amounts into sealable snack baggies, then place those baggies into a sealable freezer baggie and place in freezer. When you need them, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig and they will un-thaw. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget! They will unthaw quickly on the cupboard or in your pocket for training.
The process takes a little time but saves a lot of $$ and the dogs go crazy for them!

I would choose a higher quality food and one without ANY type of chicken items including eggs, fat, cartilage etc., or flax or grains or yeast in it, which can cause problems with some dogs.

Nutro:

Jim Eastin, supplier quality assurance scientist for Nutro Company, presented a seminar titled:
“The Importance of Rendered Ingredients in Pet Foods” at the October 26, 2011 Pet Food Industry symposium. He referred to poultry by-products as
"value-added ingredients" and described rendering as "environmentally responsible" by converting by-products into ingredients Nutro uses in its pet food products.
Nutro Co. scientist discusses using poultry by-products as petfood ingredients

Moms:)

#11 · (Edited)
I make milk kefir (THANKS SAPHIRE!!) and give my dogs about a 1/3-1/2 cup of it daily. It is much cheaper than store bought probi's and my dogs tolerate it well.
The great thing about making your own is that the grains multiply over time and then you can share your grains with others. I have shared grains to about 10 people in the past 10 months. So paying it forward is fun, and then they share...everyone sees a benefit to offering kefir to their dogs and many drink it themselves.

As far as treats or tracking bait goes, I usually get fresh chicken breast and grill or bake it. About $5 bucks and I have two pounds of pea sized treats to use for tracking and training. It may sound expensive but I'd rather give something easy to eat and not with fillers. I mix the chicken up with either cheese cubes or steak, so the chicken doesn't get boring over time.

If you aren't familiar with kefir, here is an article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/449940-what-are-the-benefits-of-kefir/

Reactions: lalabug
#12 ·
Kibble never worked for my guy with GI problems. It was a LOOOOOOONNNNGGG road to recovery for him. We finally found Stella & Chewy's commercial raw (after trying regular raw and a million kibbles, none of which worked for him). For whatever reason, it works for him. Wish it wasn't so expensive, but at least he's healthy. Food issues are the worst. I hope you're able to figure out what's going on quickly and easily.

One other supplement I would recommend is The Honest Kitchen Perfect Form. It has slippery elm in it, and you can just mix it into her food with a little water. It has performed some serious miracles for my guy. Good luck to you.

#13 ·
We use fortiflora,i split a pack for 2 days .Worked right away!Now we use it 2 times a week.Our rescue had worms and tapeworms,never could get her gut right after ,always had the poops even with the worms gone,just not right.This has helped so much!Poops are firm and solid now!I am so glad we tried fortiflora.I believe chewy and most on line ordering will refund your money if now satisfied.

#14 ·
Ingredients - Canine Fortiflora by Purina: Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl- 2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. B-4582

Appendix - Dog Food Samples Used in CVM Pentobarbital Surveys and Analytical Results = “There appear to be associations between rendered or hydrolyzed ingredients and the presence of pentobarbital in dog food. The ingredients Meat and Bone Meal (MBM), Beef and Bone Meal (BBM), Animal Fat (AF), and Animal Digest (AD) are rendered or hydrolyzed from animal sources that could include euthanized animals”.
This has never been recanted to my knowledge.

Moms

#18 · (Edited)
You can get it on line, but also at a local health food store (NOT GNC).

Slippery Elm: “It is a soothing nutritive herb which is perfectly suited for sensitive or inflamed mucous membrane lining of the digestive system. The bark contains mucilage and tannins that act as demulcent (relieves irritation), emollient (calmative), protectant, and astringent. You might think of it as a soothing internal bandage coating the digestive tract for its entire length.” Dr Yasson

One brand in health food stores is called NOW.

If plain Slippery Elm Powder is used: = 1/4th teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, given 1 hour before meals. You may mix with a small amount of plain canned pumpkin or chicken broth, or plain, non sweetened yogurt or keefer.

If capsules: 2 capsules one hour before meals for adult dog.

For your consideration:

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Duck is a cooling food to the body. Nature's Variety Instinct, which is readily available at Petco or Petsmart, makes a Duck limited ingredient kibble that is approved for all life stages. It also does not contain any of the ingredients I mentioned.
http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-grain-free-limited-ingredient-kibble-dog-food-duck

#21 ·
You are not the only one having an issue with Nutro!

CarrieJo (Quote 1/20/17 – 11:08pm) Long story short I think I got a bad batch of kibble. So I am switching food cold turkey yea I know you shouldn't but when you have 5 dogs throwing up since the new bag was opened I cannot in good faith buy another bag of the same thing so I figure their tummies might not like the switch so adding pumpkin in hopes of keeping them from having problems. searched on the internet and apparently I am not the only one who recently had trouble with this brand. So much for feeling safe with a brand.

Jenny720 (Quote 1/21/17 – 6:12am) What brand was it?

CarrieJo (Quote 1/22/17 - 11:59pm) It was Nutro Ultra Puppy.

Thread location: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/682433-question.html#post8314289

#22 ·
Thanks- Moms!
We used gut sense and perfect form from honest kitchen. I will also get Sunday/sundae which I heard nothing but good things about. The probiotics helped so much when we got our new pup Luna who had some soft stool which subsided quickly. We gave it everyday. I will use probiotics a few times a week I will also use goats milk.

#32 ·
@lalabug a good source for commercial dog food info is

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings by Brand

The list of foods reviewed is extensive. It will truly give you a better view of the quality dog foods and those that are not. Best advise I can give is pick one that has the best rating in your price range that is grain free or minimal grains and is easy for you to acquire. Pay more in the beginning and buy small bags so you don't get stuck with a huge bag of food that isn't tolerated or not liked. Check with your pet store about what the return policy is. One of my local stores actually will take back and give a full refund on open food if less than half the bag is used.

Remember to transition slowly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.