German Shepherds Forum banner

Horse meat anyone.

8K views 75 replies 26 participants last post by  Nurse Bishop 
#1 ·
So this will probably be directed more towards members that may be in Italy, Germany, Russia, Canada, etc... Basically not in America. Does anyone feed their dogs horse meat. I have been supplementing the three dogs diet with raw meat for a while now. I have been grinding beef but I am almost out of beef. I will use deer, rabbit, and possibly squirrel now that their all in season. However, while talking with my brother today he mentioned that instead of buying a cow and processing I could buy a horse for $50.00-$75.00 and come out with 300-400 pounds of meat. Horse meat for whatever reason seems to be taboo here so am very unfamiliar with it. Although what I have read it is a lot leaner meat than beef. So does anyone have thoughts or experience feeding horse meat.

#3 ·
I wouldl certainly check with proper authorities before I done anything. However, I think the laws simply state that it is illegal to slaughter horses with intent to sell meat for human consumption. Same as possessing horse meat. Illegal if possession is for the sale for human consumption.

#5 ·
I guess it would depend on the source. The local hunt club used to take donations of horses to feed to the hounds. I don't have an issue with it as long as they are treated and euthanized humanely.

#6 ·
I think its so taboo because they are considered pets, like dogs and cats.
As a horse lover, rider, and future owner, i can't even imagine......

Although I have no idea where you will get a horse for $50-$75... and where to process it or anything unless you do it yourself, where do you live? is it legal? I live in Canada and honestly no one eats horse, or feeds it to dogs, in my opinion, not even sure if its legal.

any horse worth $50-$75 would be extremely skinny and malnourished, with possible diseases, not sure how much meat you could get off a skinny horse, depending on the size. where would you acquire the horse?

not sure if I answered any questions, or asked too many of my own. but In my opinion, with little research, it would be probably just be safer too feed cow and other meat

#14 ·
Last I read, Canada was number 3 in the production of horse meat, mostly for export to the EU, but also some is used domestically. We had a big blow up here about our wild horses being rounded up and the sent to Canadian slaughter houses. Us facilities were closed down back in 06 I think, but some are pushing for legislation to reopen. Strange stuff, never knew this was a thing.

#8 ·
Emotionally I could NOT handle buying a horse to have it slaughtered for dog food!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abhorrent!!!!!!

But, as mentioned above, it was common in hunt clubs (fox hunting) that when horses were put down they were used for meat for the pack of fox hounds - and once upon a time Alpo even sold canned horse meat for dogs (I vaguely remember seeing it on the shelves as a kid - anything that said "horse" I noticed!)

Even horses in the kill pens are sold off for hundreds of dollars..... :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Lee

#9 ·
I understand peoples opinions on horses. I myself have never owned or ridden horses so I look at them as another farm animal. This is just an idea. If I can find another cow that can be gotten cheap that is my first choice. Or if I wind up getting a couple deer. basically the horses that go through the local sale barns where I'm at are older horses that can no longer be ridden, or horses that are too wild to be ridden. Basically horses no one wants. I have seen adult horses go as cheap as $30.00. People around here aren't moving expensive horses. Just an idea.

#10 ·
One of my horses is 25 years old. She currently has cellulitis. The vet has been out four times this week to give her IV antibiotics. She is costing me more than she is worth. She's nothing, but a glorified lawn ornament. But, she is my lawn ornament. If she dropped dead tomorrow, I still wouldn't give her to you to feed to your dogs - not for a million dollars.

#12 ·
Well, I suppose you can put her in a hole and let the worms do their thing. My thing is that death separates the spirit of a critter from the shell of a critter. Once you see the light of life go out of the eyes of a critter you loved, the shell is just a shell. I always just let the vet take care of the body. I can't imagine skinning the body and feeding the meat to anything. But then, burying or incinerating or stuffing the body are all something I don't like dwelling on either.

#11 ·
I think in the old days, elderly horses were sent to the glue factory, the slaughter house. And dog food was basically horse meat. Nothing wrong with that. Horses were not pets, they were utilitarian. When they could no longer work on the farm or hauling buggies, wagons, etc, they were put down. If a horse broke a leg -- if any horse breaks a leg, you put it down. It is far more humane to put the animal down then to let it suffer. And after it is dead, it is meat. It does not change the fact that you named it and loved it. The body is meat and it should not be wasted -- that is worse in my opinion than using that meat for dogs.

Farm families didn't want to eat their horses. Dogs do not have these reservations, and it just make sense to do so.

If you are considering a good source of raw food, think about freezer-beef. When milk cows can no longer get up, they will be killed and the meat is fine. It is not the typical beef that you buy, beef-cattle are different breeds, and are usually harvested young, once they reach full-size. Freezer beef are dairy cattle, jersey and holsteins usually, and they will be older. But they will be fine for canine consumption.

People who farm name their hogs, and cows too. Their milk cow and the calves they raise are named and are kind of like family too. Some farmers think cows are smarter than horses. But we have no problem eating beef. And chickens, people keep them for pets, and rabbits.

Horses are intelligent creatures with personalities. But so do other creatures. I don't know. The repulsion people have when it comes to harvesting the meat from a horse that is going to die, for dogs, from dog-people, I just don't understand.

#13 ·
Sorry. I love horses. I am on the lookout right now for my first horse to own. Been riding my entire life. Not a great rider, but a decent rider.

They are amazing animals. Truly.

But their life is no less important than a cow, or a chicken or a pig. But we as American do not see them as food, so their use as such freaks us out.

But they are the same as cows. And as long as they had a good life and are slaughtered humanely, what's the difference?

But please be careful. Most vets don't treat them as animals that may go for slaughter, so they use medications that have a longer "half life". Antibiotics/steroids. Stuff like that, may still be in the muscle if given. There are very clear guidelines on medications that are allowed to be used in animals meant for consumption and how long before slaughter they can be given.

#15 ·
I think it comes down to people think of them as pets, like a dog or cat. Many years ago it was different. Most people are not going to have a cow for a pet, so there would be a difference I suppose.

For the price you named I doubt the horse is healthy, which means any meat would most likely not be something you want your dogs to have.

I work in the garbage industry and we supply dumpsters. About two weeks ago someone called for what we call a 30 yard roll off. That is my department but another girl took the call, we always ask what they are putting in it because of weight. All the guy kept saying was he needed something for a lot of weight. After 5 minutes or so he finally said that he needed it for a bunch of dead horses from a farm. By law we can't take that because it's not allowed in the landfills. Not one of us in all the years we have been in the industry have ever had a call like that. I couldn't help but to think that some kind of disease must have hit the farm to have that many dead horses.

#17 ·
ccwoodcox, the biggest problems you are going to run into is 1) finding a place to butcher horse, even for dog food consumption and 2) finding a horse that hasn't been given the usual medications and vaccines that would still be in the body and possibly be bad for your dog. The rules regarding medications for an animal that is intended for consumption by another animal or human is very different than an animal that is not.

I'd ask this, what are you feeding currently? beef is actually one of the most expensive meats when it comes to dog food. What others are you feeding? You need at least 4 to have a non-supplemented diet.

Have you checked into local co-ops in your area so that you can take advantage of bulk prices? Talked to local groceries about ordering in bulk from them? Talked to local slaughterhouses about getting scraps? Made friends with local hunters? Posted ads asking for old meat from those cleaning out their freezers before adding in a new years haul from hunting or farming?

#18 ·
I don't think I could feed horse meat to my dogs. I ride and own a horse. Even if I could emotional detach enough to feed it I'd be worried about the meat itself. Like Gsdsar mentioned, horses are not treated like animals that will later be consumed. If you are looking to feed your dogs healthy meat then horse meat would be very questionable IMO. You will have no idea what drugs have been given to the horse over the years.

#22 · (Edited)
I swear my horse understands everything i say. The bond with any horse and owner is incredibly strong. You are trusting the 1500 pound animal with your life everyday. They are incredible animals very hard to explain but just to brush one is such a rewarding experience that is nothing like anything in this world. They are incredibly smart their intelligence is matched to a toddlers as like dogs and yes cows. Horses are still used for work by the Amish city police officers in carting in many countries and farm work. A few years ago I witnessed a Amish horse whole in Pennsylvania giving a ride to tourists on a very hot and busy day the horse collapsed right on in the street - very dangerous. The horse was lathered in sweat I jumped out of the car to help get the horse up
And luckily the family was safe. This horse was worked till it collapsed out. They are used much for sports all kinds - and many are taken full advantage of and they give their all to be driven into the ground by many not all. The thought of someone feeding horse meat to their dog because it is cheap or a wanting a different protein sources that just to say is what they do is just the same if a tiger rescuer wanted to feed pet dogs to their tigers because it cheaper. I would not condone anything that is for slaughtering horses and buying horse meat for a pet is one of them. Not to mention many horses are loaded with many steroids, drugs antiinflammatories, and your usual vaccines.

#23 · (Edited)
This article up put has some gruesome photos but not till the very end of the article and it described the cancers and health issues it causes in people eating horse meat as I can imagine animals do also as mAny horses are given many drugs/medications. Also information in the blacket market horse meat trade- very real
http://www.animalrecoverymission.org/operations/illegal-horse-slaughter/#top

#25 ·
This article up put has some gruesome photos but not till the very end of the article and it described the cancers and health issues it causes in people eating horse meat as I can imagine animals do also as mAny horses are given many drugs/medications. Also information in the blacket market horse meat trade- very real
Illegal Horse Slaughter | ARM Investigations
This is a very biased article that doesn't cite any sources to back up their claims...

#24 ·
If you can find clean animals that haven't been drugged, and a place that will process the horse for you - then it is fine to feed to the dogs and yes, can be much much cheaper than other types of meat.

Of course there is the moral outrage that you will have to deal with.

I've owned horses (and a mule!) for most of my life. They are fantastic, intelligent and emotional animals that bond deeply with their people. But in my experience, that is true of several of our food animals. Pigs and goats especially. Even cattle have their moments.

Personally, I have no problem with horse slaughter. I have no problem eating horse meat myself. I have a pretty good disconnect between my pets and food - even when they are the same species. I've even sampled dog meat while traveling abroad.

I don't know that the potential savings of feeding horse meat is worth the headache involved though.

#29 ·
All I can say is - I was involved in horse rescue for many, many years. You will never convince me that horse slaughter is a positive thing. Those that want to eat horse meat, dog meat, etc. and feed it to their dogs. Go ahead. It's not like we are RL friends or EVER would be.

I have no idea where one would find 'clean' horse meat in the US - unless the horse was never vaccinated, never treated for anything, and never dewormed. My 25 year old horse just got 8 vaccines in August. That was just 'some' of the vaccines she gets. Imagine that over 25 years. Plus she is on Prascend Pergolide tabs for Cushings Disease. Not to mention her current treatment with steroids, antibiotics and Phenylbutazone. Her meat could probably kill you and your little dog too. Just sayin'.

#31 · (Edited)
You mean my post where I said- which( "claim" -word missing) one( comma is missing) where to safe to eat a horse...... I'm not sure by hast texting and missing of a commas jumbled my message. Yes usually black market horse meat trade people are not your average person that takes the welfare and care in quality as others. I can't seem to understand that jumbling of a concept. I do not want to argue either. The articles itself gets my point across alone. Im kind of done with this.

#35 · (Edited)
#37 ·
Interesting. I'd never considered Canada to be one of the "others" when it comes to production of particular meats, but we do have a single province that does consume it on the regular. There are about 5 horse meat processing plants in Canada, 3 being in Quebec and 2 being in Alberta. Because we do process it, it does fall under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Meat Council, so it's regulated. If you were close to Quebec or any European butcher blocks, chances are you could find quality horse meat here. I don't think most of our population knows about it though.

I will say that you will have great difficulty finding a place to get regulated horse meat produced for consumption, mainly because most people can't even fathom eating it, and secondly because it's difficult to come across without knowing a guy who knows a guy... you're probably better off continuing to look at other alternatives.

#38 ·
My thing is, that death separates the flesh from the soul. The animal is dead. How is it less respectful to make use of the flesh, than to let it rot and be eaten by worms, or to incinerate it -- do they even do that for a critter as big as a horse? So if you don't bury them, what do you do with your horse when it dies?

I could not eat my dog that I bonded with. And I do not know that I could feed rabbits or chickens to myself or my dogs if I raised them and named them. If I was raised on a farm, eating hogs and beef cattle would be a way of life, and I probably wouldn't feel queasy about it. But for now, I will leave the idea of raising rabbits and chickens for dog food. I know I couldn't raise horses to be slaughtered for dog meat.

But, if a friend had a horse that broke its leg, and they had to put down, and we knew someone who could process the meat into chunks or burger, yes, I could feed it to my dogs with no problem whatsoever. With no more problem than feeding them deer, beef, or chicken.

I don't know if I would want to eat dog, or bear. I think herbivors make better meat sources than carnivores. They were eating horses when the people were starving after WWII. They eat horse in France. I could probably eat horse meat. It couldn't possibly taste as bad as deer meat. I wouldn't try turtle or gator or snake or dog or cat or bear. I would try sheep though. How much you wanna bet that the definition of lamb in dog food probably stretches to include old ewes and rams that are ready to put into the stew-pot. But it is also probably an excellent source of dog food if you could raise them yourself, and aren't squeemish about butchering them and feeding them to the dogs.

Ah kibble, it's nasty, but you really do not have to think about it as all the little critters who go into it.

As for being an animal advocate, well, then you should approve of horse and cow eating, and disprove of rabbit and chicken eating. Figure 800 pounds of meat, and one critter sacrificed, as opposed to a 4 pound rabbit or 8 pound chicken. I have to cringe at the thousands of chicken lives my dogs each year. If I was feeding beef or horse, it would probably be just a few.

And rather than send those horses to mexico to be shipped to France to be slaughtered for feed, why not use that meat here in America to feed dogs? The horses are just as dead, whoever is eating them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.