German Shepherds Forum banner

Do we feed our dogs better than humans.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  LuvShepherds 
#1 ·
So yesterday I had my 12 yr old son and his friend go out and collect all the weeds I had ho'd up in the garden. When they were done I told them that since they done such a good job I would buy them a sandwich today. They wanted an angry whopper from burger King. So before I went to pick them up after school me and rosko ran by burger King to pick up the sandwiches. As we're waiting on the food the girls in the drive thru were all pining over rosko. One of them left then came back with a hamburger Patty. She asked if rosko could have it. My thought was, I am not letting my dog eat that junk. So I Thanked her for the offer but said he is on a specific diet and it wouldn't be a good idea. It wasn't until I got half way home that I realized that the exact same food I instantly thought wasn't good enough for my dog I was giving my kid. Only on a larger scale. Does anyone else catch themselves doing this. I even try and talk the pet friendly stores into giving out freeze dried liver or tripe instead of milkbone biscuits.

#3 ·
I spent like 400 dollars on Crank for a lacerated paw pad over the last week or two plus his meds for flea and tick and heart worm prevention. I could have saved like 40 kids with TB in a third world country with that money...but yeah best not to think about it.

#7 ·
We came home with some Taco Bell. After we ate my wife prepared the dogs food.
Raw chicken sweet potatoes raw turkey with some goodies mixed in.

Me: Has he eaten anything all day.
Wife: He had steak.
Me He had what?
Wife: Yea he had something to eat before!
Me: What did you give him.
Wife: Um food.
Me: What kind of food.
Wife: Steak.

I am 100% sure this answers the topic question.

#10 ·
This will last about 6 weeks in my house. Both dogs Rosko and Romo get a little under the recommended levels of wet food I then add kibble (Fromm Prairie gold) with it. Fed once daily. My wife thought I was crazy for spending that much on dog food. U til she noticed that her 11 yr old toy poodle Romo was actng like a 6 yr old poodle all of a sudden. Has energy, wants to play, and lost 7 lbs, both dogs coats shine, they smell better, consistent bowel movements, now she doesn't care.

Attachments

#11 ·
I am very conscious about my dogs food and I came to this very same conclusion one day. My husband is now limited to which cereal brands I will allow him to eat day in and day out because if I won't give the dogs BHA/BHT why would I give it to him. LOL. My inlaws think I'm nuts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.