German Shepherds Forum banner

Dry Pigs Ears ?

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Shooter 
#1 ·
Is dry pigs ears, Ok to feed my German shepherd ?
Some seem to feed these as a treat, once a week and say they really help clean teeth ect.
Would appreciate any experiences with feeding them, thank you.

#2 ·
Too much grease (pancreatitis). I've read that some dogs have problems with them:
Are Pig Ears Good for Dogs? | Dog'sHealth.com Blog

Instead, you can get a similar texture and length of chew with dried beef tracheas (available as big tubes, or as "chips," from Bestbullysticks.com -- the chips last about as long as a pig ear). They're digestible, and a good source of natural chondroitin, so there's some nutritional benefit instead of just empty chewing. I've never yet met a dog who didn't love them.

#6 ·
Bully sticks, marrow bones, trachea are all great for keeping Molly's teeth sparkling! She gets a marrow bone once a week and a trachea stuffed with tripe

#7 ·
I had one come in a bark box, its sharp on the edges and I think Im going to toss it rather take a chance with my boy getting digestion problems or heaven forbid it tears the linings of his intestines. Im going say thanks for this post. :)

#9 ·
I have some dried tripe sticks for mine. They do have an odor, but it reminds me mostly of cow manure vs unpleasant rotten odor, and doesn't bother me. Mine down them in a couple minutes, so not a long lasting chew. Bully sticks seem to be the best if you get the thicker ones. I also had a Himalayan chew floating around for a while. Mix Lab mix devoured hers in about 45 minutes, but my GSD chewed his on an off for a few weeks. My lab mix is a voracious chewer and won't quit until something is gone, lol.

#11 ·
Pig Ears :eek: :shocked: :eek:

Article: http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/usda-pig-virus-likely-carried-into-us-from-china-via-tote-bags/

Snippets from article:

A virus that killed more than 8 million baby pigs in 2013 and 2014 nearly matches the DNA of a virus found in China and was likely carried into the United States on reusable tote bags — the same bags used to carry pet treats such as chicken jerky and pig ears.

A special investigation began last summer into the possible sources of the virus, known as porcine epidemic diarrhea. Nearly 10 percent of the nation’s hog population was lost, severely reducing the supply of pork and sending bacon and pork-chop prices to records last year. The industry has worked to rebuild herds since then.

Investigators determined that the tote bags called Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers “best fit the criteria established for entry into the United States, rapid and wide spread across the country, and introduction onto individual farms,” according to the report.

1,000 pounds to 3,000 pounds were reused — making cross-contamination a possibility — and often not cleaned, the report said. Tests on the virus determined it could survive for several weeks within the protective weave of the bags.

Investigators said it is plausible the bags were contaminated with fertilizer, compost or wastewater from a farm before being shipped to the United States.

Moms :)

#14 ·
Interesting thread, going to keep an eye on it for suggestions.

I stopped giving mine any sort of rawhide or animal chew after my golden ended up with pancreatitis after working on a basted rawhide for a few days. It wasn't life threatening, but she felt pretty rough for a few days. Pricey little trip to the vet as well (as diagnosing mystery problems typically is). I can't bring myself to let them have bully sticks, either, for much the same fear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.