German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Pano - Food Advice? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/485153-pano-food-advice.html)

mamalimpopo 09-02-2014 05:52 PM

Pano - Food Advice?

I have a 9-month-old female GSD named Bonnie. We've been back and forth to the vet a few times over the last month because Bonnie seemed to be having some pain in her legs (first her back legs, now one of her front legs). She started really limping over the weekend and was really uncomfortable, so we went back to the vet today. We had x-rays done, which confirmed it was panosteitis (the vet was really thrilled she could see it on the x-ray, I guess that isn't always the case).

She was prescribed some anti-inflammatories and we're supposed to see how those go. I've been online doing some reading, and it sounds like it might be worth a try to change her food to a lower protein and lower fat food. She's currently on Merrick grain-free beef and sweet potato, which does seem to have a higher protein.

Here is my problem -- she has a very sensitive stomach and we had terrible issues getting her to eat as a puppy, because she flat-out refused to eat any poultry- or fish-based food (it took some trial and error over the course of several weeks to figure that out). She's actually a smaller shepherd and has always been a slow grower -- she's 52 pounds now at 9 months. She's very lean already -- we have to watch how much we feed her, because if she gets too much food, she gets awful runny stools, so cutting down her food amount isn't an option.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a good quality lower protein/fat dry food that is beef, lamb, or pork based? I've been looking at dog food sites (and reading threads here) all day and my head is spinning. We had such a hard time finding something that would suit her initially.

Any other pano advice is also most welcome. I hate seeing her in pain. She just got her CGC certificate and we were hoping to do some more training classes, but that might have to wait a bit.

middleofnowhere 09-02-2014 06:02 PM

Been through this here. Took mine off puppy food and used anti inflamatories for about a week. Had another incident which might have been an injury rather than pano, put her back on antiinflamatories with probiotics (because last session of antiinflamatories ended with incredibly liquid stools) for about 4 or 5 days and seems fine now.

Good luck finding the magic food. Maybe homemade meals for a few months?

wolfy dog 09-02-2014 06:04 PM

My breeder recommends Vit. C; 500 - 1000 mg twice day but I didn't see much results.
Keep her on the skinny side.

bob_barker 09-02-2014 08:04 PM

I did Vitamin C with Bob and within a week saw a difference. Within 2 weeks his limp was completely gone.
I guess every dog is different.
And yes keep her on the thinner side

Also it sucked, but I cut off all intense exercise. He had no walks, no runs. He went outside to use the washroom and that was basically it. And then I slowly brought back his normal exercise routine.

It's like the old saying "You have to be cruel to be kind".

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mamalimpopo 09-04-2014 08:52 PM

Thanks for the commiseration and the advice. I hadn't thought about trying Vitamin C supplements, so we'll see if her stomach can handle those. Is there any particular brand/type you'd recommend?

At least the pain pills seem to be helping -- Bonnie is much cheerier now! Although she's super bummed that we've had to temporarily discontinue her morning and evening fetch sessions.

wolfy dog 09-05-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamalimpopo (Post 5986130)
Thanks for the commiseration and the advice. I hadn't thought about trying Vitamin C supplements, so we'll see if her stomach can handle those. Is there any particular brand/type you'd recommend?

At least the pain pills seem to be helping -- Bonnie is much cheerier now! Although she's super bummed that we've had to temporarily discontinue her morning and evening fetch sessions.

Ester C

bob_barker 09-05-2014 08:21 PM

I just got the Wal-Mart brand. Not flavoured though

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

TigervTeMar 09-05-2014 08:48 PM

my guy is limping too. I don't want to give pain meds because I think he wont stay off it then. I used meds the first time (x-ray confirmed pano) and he had a second bout of it and now his third. I stopped giving him hokomix because it has calcium in it and I started Vit C this morning. he's doing better than yesterday, I don't know why

Momto2GSDs 09-06-2014 10:15 AM

There are 2 Homeopathic’s that my Holistic Vets recommend for Pano. Calceria Carbonica 30c (crushed between 2 spoons) choose potency 30c, choose pill size #40, choose 1 ounce bottle Calcarea Carbonica ~ Washington Homeopathic Products
and
Mezereum 30c (crushed between 2 spoons) (is for pain and burning in tibia and long bones) choose potency 30c, choose 1 ounce bottle, choose pills size #40 Mezereum ~ Washington Homeopathic Products
Both given 2 x daily at different times of the day, 2 pills per dose. If you are not familiar with Homeopathy, remedies are given in “a clean mouth” which means 30 minutes away from food and water on both sides of dosing. The crushed globules are placed inside the dogs lip to dissolve into system through the mouth tissues.

An appointment with a certified dog Chiropractor may also help.

Sounds like your Fur Baby needs some digestive enzymes and a probiotic to help her assimilate her food properly and improve the health of her gut (75%-80% of disease begins there!). This one is fantastic! Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement or from Animal Nature 412- 723-2194 animal nature product listing

If you decide to change foods, you may want to try The Honest Kitchen LOVE De-hydrated food. Honest Kitchen is the ONLY pet food on the US market that the FDA will legally allow to use the words “100% Human Grade Ingredients” on their advertising and packaging. This is because besides the ingredients being 100% human edible, it is manufactured in a Human Grade Facility. A 10# box (approx $100) RE-Hydrates to 40 pounds but since this is real food and not extruded like kibble, you actually feed a larger quantity. The Honest Kitchen has helped MANY dogs with stomach problems!
Love has 31% protein (7% lower than the Merrik you are feeding) and is recommended for “All Life Stages”. Love Dog Food ? Gluten Free | The Honest Kitchen All ingredients dehydrated: Beef, sweet potatoes, potatoes, organic flaxseed, organic coconut, parsley, dandelion greens (to be replaced by chard), papaya, cranberries, pumpkin, honey, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate. Store locator – type in you zip code here: Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen

Good Luck! I hope you find the right combination for her.
Moms:)

Magwart 09-06-2014 05:30 PM

Look into fish oil capsules or liquid -- get a good one. It's a natural anti-inflammatory, and they can tolerate a pretty big dose (work up to avoid loose poops). Pano is an inflammatory response in the bone, so a holistic vet recommended this -- along with ester-C and a glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin comb (human grade -- 1500 mg of glucosamine/day).