German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Price for Orijen Six Fish (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/483961-price-orijen-six-fish.html)

feliperrt1 08-29-2014 09:24 AM

Price for Orijen Six Fish

Hello all :D
Just wondering if anyone has found a better price online for the 28 pound Orijen Six fish dog food. I currently pay $90 a bag at a local pet shop in Glendale, Arizona.

So if anyone has a better deal online I'd really like to know! :D

Thank you ALL!

RocketDog 08-29-2014 09:38 AM

I think there probably is, but I really like my little local pet food store. They carry only quality foods, they're always there to help me with questions, they'll order anything in for me. I don't want to help put them out of business.

I get the online thing, but I also work at a small independently owned store and I freaking hate it when someone comes in and takes advantage of my expertise and then tells me HD or Lowe's has it for a buck less.

My dog also eats Orijen 6 fish. I've tried MANY other foods and it's the one he does best on. I feel your pain.

feliperrt1 08-29-2014 09:56 AM

I wouldnt feed anything else other that Orijen Six fish as well. If i did it would be Raw just dont have the time or space to keep an extra refrigerator.

Regardless if I find a better deal or not I will continue to feed them orijen. But it would be nice to save a buck +)

kr16 08-29-2014 10:04 AM

Here https://store.petango.com/ pay attention to the 20% on the first page you need the code.

Blanketback 08-29-2014 10:06 AM

Does your store do the 'buy 12 bags, get the 13th free' thing? Because that's something to consider too. I pay $85 plus tax locally for my 6 fish, so it comes out to just under $100 - in Canada. I have the same feelings as RocketDog, and I want to keep my decent pet stores in business. No offence to the bigger pet industry retailers, but I'd hate to see only those types of pet stores left. I like the smaller independently owned ones, and that's where I spend my hard earned cash.

Appii 08-30-2014 09:12 AM

I used Orijen both the regular and fish until 2010. After Champion was sold they cheapened the foods with lots of peas, lentils and chickpeas and split them up so you don't notice. The fiber content more than doubled and so did the poop.

It will be interesting when they start making the foods in Kentucky and probably go Big Box, throwing all the independents under the bus.

The current owner is an industrial/chemical fund and I am not impressed.

I am finding the Farmina N&D foods better anyway. No lentils, peas or chickpeas and the company puts the "as fed" animal protein right on the bag. Farmina has a Herring food with a simple list of ingredients but I have yet to try it. The Chicken grain free is working perfectly.

I suspect Orijen can't publish the "as fed" animal protein because then people will see how much vegetable protein is really in the food.

Dr. Jean Dodd's is pretty vocal about phytoestrogens in foods causing thyroid and fertility problems and peas, lentils and chickpeas are very high in phytoestrogens.

Susan Thixton vetted Farmina N&D to include it on her "Most Trusted" list and she knows all the pet food industry tricks.

Saphire 08-30-2014 09:18 AM

I read so many dog food threads. So much information to try and absorb. I am so very thankful I am able to feed raw and k own exactly what my dog gets.
If I couldn't feed raw I would feed Orijen.

kr16 08-30-2014 11:16 AM

Check the IP on this post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appii (Post 5963914)
I used Orijen both the regular and fish until 2010. After Champion was sold they cheapened the foods with lots of peas, lentils and chickpeas and split them up so you don't notice. The fiber content more than doubled and so did the poop.

It will be interesting when they start making the foods in Kentucky and probably go Big Box, throwing all the independents under the bus.

The current owner is an industrial/chemical fund and I am not impressed.

I am finding the Farmina N&D foods better anyway. No lentils, peas or chickpeas and the company puts the "as fed" animal protein right on the bag. Farmina has a Herring food with a simple list of ingredients but I have yet to try it. The Chicken grain free is working perfectly.

I suspect Orijen can't publish the "as fed" animal protein because then people will see how much vegetable protein is really in the food.

Dr. Jean Dodd's is pretty vocal about phytoestrogens in foods causing thyroid and fertility problems and peas, lentils and chickpeas are very high in phytoestrogens.

Susan Thixton vetted Farmina N&D to include it on her "Most Trusted" list and she knows all the pet food industry tricks.

kr16 08-30-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5959385)
Does your store do the 'buy 12 bags, get the 13th free' thing? Because that's something to consider too. I pay $85 plus tax locally for my 6 fish, so it comes out to just under $100 - in Canada. I have the same feelings as RocketDog, and I want to keep my decent pet stores in business. No offence to the bigger pet industry retailers, but I'd hate to see only those types of pet stores left. I like the smaller independently owned ones, and that's where I spend my hard earned cash.

Its a Champion foods thing on the get a bag free. They would have to do this if they are an authorized seller. If they do not, you could ask, maybe they didn't know. Or call Champion if they do not and see how you go about it. May not fly if you buy it from an unauthorized seller. All stores and sites are not authorized sellers.

This has peaked my curiosity as well. I need to call them on Monday and ask them if you buy it from 4 different people who fills the free bag.

Even if I do not get a free bag, the 20%+ off I get accounts for 2 bags after a year. Its still better, not even including the gas money which would be $4 a bag for me here. I got 30% this week and 40% off a few weeks ago. I just stock pile when they have these deals.

Cassidy's Mom 08-30-2014 01:21 PM

Chewy.com is $86.99 with free shipping. Right now they're doing a free package of freeze dried food as a promo with your order.