Diet for sensitive stomach - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Diet for sensitive stomach

My poor pup seems to have a sensitive stomach. His stools are large and not very well formed, and he has loose, "pudding" stools daily. We ruled out parasites, and the vet seems to think we just need to find the right diet that works for him- which is what I need help with!

Can anyone recommend a very basic diet? Needs to be affordable and preferably able to purchase locally. I'm looking for something with just one or 2 protein/meat sources; it seems a lot of foods out there have 3 and 4 different meat sources. Because my dog has megaesophagus and I mix up his food with soaked kibble and canned food, I need can food suggestions as well. I know a lot of people here feed raw or homemade diets, but that is not an option for me.

He's currently on Simply Nourish lamb and oatmeal with venison canned, and while he's done the best on Simply Nourish so far, between the soft stools and a few ingredients I don't like in the food, I'd like to switch him off. He's been on Blue Buffalo and Science Diet Ideal Balance canned in the past, and didn't do well on either. He's getting a probiotic right now, but it hasn't helped a ton and it's not meant to be given long term.

Thanks in advanced!
PolarPup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

How old is your puppy?
Zazzle had a very sensitive stomach too and we had her on canned pumpkin (not the sugary pie filling kind), cooked white rice, boiled chicken & just a bit of taste of the wild puppy dry food soaked in water. She also was on some antibiotics at first. We got her at four months of age and this all started when we switched from the food the breeder was feeding.
Eventually, as she got firmer stools and grew older, I progressively have moved her to taste of the wild adult kibble with some water, innova canned adult dog food & a bit of boiled chicken thigh all mixed together, same as our older dog gets. She's 10 months old now and is doing fine.
Shadow GSD 1993-2005
Kazar GSD 1999-2010
Maybelline Feral 2005
Miss Molly GSD 2011-2014
Zazzle! GSD 2014
warpwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm going to start sounding like a broken record here very soon. But my go to food for sensitive dogs is Annamaet. My parents dog with allergy related symptoms has done great on it. I also recommended it to a coworker that could not get his dog to stop itching, so bad she was ripping her fur out...her fur has grown in beautifully.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Parasites or fleas and ticks do have a serious impact on the digestion of our feline friends. If possible you should check if it's stomach has become sensitive due to those parasites.
Secondly, at least for few days try giving home cooked food to the pup, it will help make its stomach system quite strong. Do talk to your pet about advice for its diet!
stuartk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I'll still recommend Holistic Select for sensitive stomachs.

It lacks the "wow" factor a lot of other kibbles have, but I really haven't encountered another food that just feeds out as well as it does. Perhaps not rocket science- its simple, and they pack it to the gills with probiotics. That formula seems to be the ticket for dogs not able to hold food down, though.
atravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Rice is one of the worst things you can give a dog with Mega E unless its in the kibble.

Like a few poster before how old is the dog?

How severe is the Mega E?

Are you blending the food or just soaking it?

One thing, is the dog getting enough water? That is a Mega E challenge. Its also something that needs to be monitored if you are not leaving water out. Lack of fluids can do all sorts of bad things.

We use Acana for our Mega E boy. We blend it up with coconut milk which has high calories and is good for mega dogs. They make a single source protein food.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey all, thanks for the replies.

Just some background info. He is 10 months old, neutered about 3 months ago. His stool has always been on the looser side, but I've really noticed a problem the past few months. No fleas, ticks, or parasites, and the vet's recommendation was to find a simple diet that works for him.

He was diagnosed with ME at 7 weeks, and I soak his kibble, add in half a can of wet food, and mix it all together into a slush. He's able to drink water elevated and doesn't seem to have a problem with not getting enough. We think his condition has been mostly outgrown as there's been zero regurgitation for the past 7ish months, and he is pretty bad about getting into the other dog's nonelevated food and water... I'm still playing it safe with his feeding until we rex-ray him in the winter, but overall the condition is no longer severe.

Is there another way I can blend his food without using canned food? I'm worried the canned food might be contributing to his stomach upset... Would canned pumpkin with soaked kibble be a good long term solution?

I'll look into the foods suggested. Thanks everyone!
PolarPup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

After more than two months of pudding stool (on a good day) and diarrhea many times each day, the problems were resolved when I switched to Grandma Mae's Country Naturals together with a daily dose of a probiotic.
PINESTATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes, use a blender with water and kibble, we do not use any canned food.

Pumpkin has always been something that creates more runs for my dogs. Never had good luck with it. Natural balance has a food called synergy that is really good for bad stomachs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarPup View Post
Hey all, thanks for the replies.

Just some background info. He is 10 months old, neutered about 3 months ago. His stool has always been on the looser side, but I've really noticed a problem the past few months. No fleas, ticks, or parasites, and the vet's recommendation was to find a simple diet that works for him.

He was diagnosed with ME at 7 weeks, and I soak his kibble, add in half a can of wet food, and mix it all together into a slush. He's able to drink water elevated and doesn't seem to have a problem with not getting enough. We think his condition has been mostly outgrown as there's been zero regurgitation for the past 7ish months, and he is pretty bad about getting into the other dog's nonelevated food and water... I'm still playing it safe with his feeding until we rex-ray him in the winter, but overall the condition is no longer severe.

Is there another way I can blend his food without using canned food? I'm worried the canned food might be contributing to his stomach upset... Would canned pumpkin with soaked kibble be a good long term solution?

I'll look into the foods suggested. Thanks everyone!
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post

We use Acana for our Mega E boy. We blend it up with coconut milk which has high calories and is good for mega dogs. They make a single source protein food.

Out of curiosity more for myself than anything else, what coconut milk do you use?
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.