German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Dry food supplements help (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/482601-dry-food-supplements-help.html)

ChouMaKen 08-24-2014 11:22 AM

Dry food supplements help

I should receive my puppy next weekend (if all goes well) and he will be 11 weeks then

Unfortunately for me raw diet is not an option and here we only have Royal Canin and Eukanuba as dry food. So I will be feeding him Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy .

So I am trying to gather a list of supplements I should also give him to be healthy and have a shiny coat as well as their dosage.

If anyone can advise it would be really helpful

Thanks

ofl52 08-24-2014 12:52 PM

I use a product called PetImmune by Palladius for my shepherd. I started using it after he had a flea allergy and lost most of his hair, developed hot spots, itched like crazy.
After about 3 week I could see a marked improvement in his overall health, bodily functions, hair regrowth, hot spots resolving and shine to his coat. On a plus side it has also decreased his shedding by at least 85%.

I found it online-right now it is on-sale with free shipping if you buy 2 bags-its a natural product and I plan to keep my shepherd on it for life.

Jax08 08-24-2014 02:23 PM

A commercial dog food will have everything a growing puppy needs. The most I would add to the diet would be fish oil or sardines a couple times a week and Vitamin C. 1000 mg of fish oil and 1000 mg of vitamin C. Make sure the Vitamin C does not have added calcium and look for a brand with rosehips in it to add the whole components.

I would feed the Royal Canin over the Eukanuba if those are your only two choices.

ChouMaKen 08-25-2014 04:40 AM

Tx to both of you for your thoughts

@ofl52 unfortunately I cannot get that either it would be way too expensive to be practical on the long run

@jax08 canned sardine is easily available and cheap would it be a good addition once or twice a week? Would that be enough as omega 3?

Thanks again

Jax08 08-25-2014 09:47 AM

Look for sardines NOT from China and packaged in water. You could give him a 4oz can 3 times a week. Usually a 4oz can has 4 sardines in it. Start by giving him 1 sardine a day. When I gave my puppy a can he had explosive diarrhea because of the higher fat content. When he's used to it then just add it into his food a few times a week.

I can't remember what a serving of sardines has for O3's but it is a large amount. YOu'll have to look at a can and see what it says.

HOBY 08-25-2014 10:16 AM

Nupro

Check this out. I have been using it for years.

www.nuprosupplements.com

Glacier 08-26-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBY (Post 5943209)
Check this out. I have been using it for years.

www.nuprosupplements.com

I second Nupro, we use the joint and immunity formula for my pup.

ChouMaKen 08-26-2014 01:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I cannot import anything I need to manage with whatever I can find locally (i.e. Human medicine)

Thanks