German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Food Recommendations. Please help! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/482121-food-recommendations-please-help.html)

EJBB8790 08-22-2014 10:57 AM

Food Recommendations. Please help!

My female GSD is 2 years old. She will be 3 in February. She is currently eating a Purina food. I have been wanting to switch her food for a while now, and am unsure with what I should go with. We have tried Buffalo Blue in the past and this caused her to have diarrhea. I have been looking into an all Natural food or commercial but only human-grade ingredients. I was considering trying Simply Nourish, Ultra (Nutro), Nature's Recipe, or Innova. Does anyone use these brands or have any experience with them? ALSO I would like to know the recommended amount I should be feeding her. She typically eats twice a day, she is a late night muncher and tends to eat in the evening and later in the night. I know this is probably really bad, but I have never measured her food, I have always just filled her bowl about the same amount each day. By the way the main reason I am looking to change her current food is because I want her on something more healthy, and she has always had pretty sensitive (itchy) skin. She also has a history of yeast infections in one of her ears, this comes and goes very often and the vet recommended possibly switching her diet if it continued even after doing weekly cleanings. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions or advice. Thank you =)

Momto2GSDs 08-22-2014 12:18 PM

Hi EJ,
Glad that you are changing!

None of the foods that you listed contain Human Grade Ingredients. They may have been USDA Inspected.....BUT......NOT USDA APPROVED!

The ONLY pet food on the USA market legally allowed to use the words HUMAN GRADE INGREDIENTS on their packaging and advertising is called The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Food. This food would most likely help with her yeast issues too. If you do not choose this food, choose one without grains in it as grains are carbs and grains turn into sugar.....feeding the yeast.

A 10# box of The Honest Kitchen Embark (non grain) costs about $90 and RE-Hydrates to approximately 35-40 pounds, but, you would be feeding more of this food. Embark - Grain Free, High Protein Dog Food | The Honest Kitchen
Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen

2 other High Quality choices would be
Fromm's 4 star non grain: Four-Star Nutritionals for Dogs - Fromm Family Foods
Find a store that carries Fromm

Acana Prarie non grain (Ranch, Grass, Pacific):Wild Prairie | Acana
Store Locator | Acana

Always remember to do the switch slowly, taking about 2 weeks or more, by adding a little of the new food (about 1/8th cup) and reducing the old food so as not to upset your dogs gut.

BTW, the words "Natural", "Holistic" and other such words (that would make you think they are human grade foods) used in advertising are just that.....buzz words! ;+)

Good luck!
Moms:)

EJBB8790 08-22-2014 12:48 PM

Thank you for your reply and advice! I truly appreciate it... So you would definitely not recommend using any of the brands I listed? I read online and seen these brands listed as well : Back to basics, California Natural, Canidae, Chicken soup for the pet lover's soul, Eagle Holistic Select, Go Natural, Honest Chicken, Innova, Karma, Newman's own Organics, Pinnacle, Prairie, Sold gold, and Wellness.

Momto2GSDs 08-22-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJBB8790 (Post 5934193)
Thank you for your reply and advice! I truly appreciate it... So you would definitely not recommend using any of the brands I listed? I read online and seen these brands listed as well : Back to basics, California Natural, Canidae, Chicken soup for the pet lover's soul, Eagle Holistic Select, Go Natural, Honest Chicken, Innova, Karma, Newman's own Organics, Pinnacle, Prairie, Sold gold, and Wellness.

You are most welcome. But everyone has their own opinion on foods! If there were 20 foods named.....you'd get 1,000 different opinions! LOL The ones I listed have had no recalls and use their own facilities to process the foods.

I could give you my personal opinion on each one (since I've researched them)....but....for me, I only use the ones I suggested occasionally when I run out of raw food. ;)

But definitely choose a non grain food b/c of your dogs yeast issues.

You can also make a natural mix of 50% Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (this is the medicinal one that contains the "Mother Tincture") and 50% purified water and wipe out her ears a few times a week to prevent the yeast build up.

EJBB8790 08-22-2014 01:16 PM

Ok. Seems like my main problem is finding a location that actually sells the food choices. I'd much rather buy from the store vs. ordering the food online in case I have any problems, also it's more convenient for me. There is a store close to me that sells foods that you typically can't find in your regular pet store...again I am not to familiar with them. I would love to do the Honest Kitchen and they do carry that, however it's a little expensive for me with my current budget.

Momto2GSDs 08-22-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJBB8790 (Post 5934297)
Ok. Seems like my main problem is finding a location that actually sells the food choices. I'd much rather buy from the store vs. ordering the food online in case I have any problems, also it's more convenient for me. There is a store close to me that sells foods that you typically can't find in your regular pet store...again I am not to familiar with them. I would love to do the Honest Kitchen and they do carry that, however it's a little expensive for me with my current budget.

Click on the "Store Locator" or "Find a Store" or "Where To Buy" in my first post. It may list a store close to you. :)

EJBB8790 08-22-2014 01:33 PM

The more and more research I do, I definitely suspect a grain allergy.

Cassidy's Mom 08-22-2014 01:34 PM

I did a moderator notification on your thread to have it moved out of Non-Commercial Trades and Sales to a food related forum.

EJBB8790 08-22-2014 01:39 PM

Thank you, I apologize, I'm not sure how to post these threads on here correctly or where? Moms thanks for your help, I found a store that sells Fromm and I think I am going to try this one!

Momto2GSDs 08-22-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJBB8790 (Post 5934401)
Thank you, I apologize, I'm not sure how to post these threads on here correctly or where? Moms thanks for your help, I found a store that sells Fromm and I think I am going to try this one!

GREAT!

Just start with small amounts & S L O W L Y. ;)

Keep us posted on how things go!