German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Senior dog food (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/481633-senior-dog-food.html)

LuvShepherds 08-20-2014 03:47 PM

Senior dog food

What do you feed your senior dogs? I'm using Taste of the Wild because it's grain free. I'm looking for a replacement for an older dog who likely has a grain allergy. I asked at the feed store, and they recommended Blue Buffalo or Wellness Core. I'm not familiar with either. I asked the vet and they prefer not to recommend one brand over another. I'd like to stick with kibble. This dog has a sensitive stomach and has done well on the current food up until now, but the vet said it's now too high protein for his age. They don't make a senior food. Raw or homemade aren't options for this dog. He needs complete consistency from one meal to the next.

Mary Beth 08-20-2014 09:08 PM

My Sting is 8 years old. He does well on Solid Gold Barking at the Moon. It is for all stages of adult dogs. It is grain free. If that one is too high in protein, on of the other Solid Gold kibble like Wolfking forl large breeds may be better.

atravis 08-20-2014 09:18 PM

Look into Holistic Select (either of their grain free options).

It may not be amazing comparative to some, but it feeds out amazingly well, especially if you have a sensitive dog.

LuvShepherds 08-20-2014 09:40 PM

How do you know how much protein they need? I'm going to see if our store carries the two brands recommended and how much they cost relative to what I'm using.

atravis 08-20-2014 09:54 PM

The amount any given dog does best on will vary wildly. Older dogs actually need slightly more protein than the average middle-aged adult dog (Purina did a study about this a while back, the thought that they need less has definitively been proven false). That said, what constitutes "more" is up for debate, as very high protein kibbles are becoming more the norm, so its hard to say if "more" means 26-28% ("more" than the old standard of 22-24%) or "more" being 34-38% ("more" than foods like ToTW or many other grain frees which average around 30-32%).

Either way, I like Holistic's options, you have a 28% grain free fish, and a 32% grain free turkey. Either, in my opinion, would be ok to try.

LuvShepherds 08-21-2014 10:54 PM

Thank you. It's the same percentage I'm feeding now. This is going to take a lot more thought.

atravis 08-21-2014 11:14 PM

I wouldn't consider around 30% too high unless you know your dog to have a pre-existing kidney issue? Again, the idea that older dogs need less protein is highly antiquated, despite many vets still wanting to cling to the notion. Find a food that settles well for them and stick with it- don't let percentages hang you up too much.