vet recommended NOT to feed science diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default vet recommended NOT to feed science diet

Took him to the vet today for some trash eating induced diarrhea. . The vet asked what I fed as main diet (in my mind I said "oh great here comes the science diet lecture") and I told him I fed orijen . His response started the same as you'd think except when he got to naming thr food he would recommend he said "royal canine" and said that he recommends staying away from science diet and also recommends purine one or any high end purine but suggested I stray away from orijen due to its massive protein content which he said could be what's causing his stomach issues ( he's been to the same vet now 2 times in the past 2 months for this). Just thought I would share this and get opinions. I have read, and I'm not sure of the sourcing on this, that royal canine is terrible?
seirios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Default vet recommended NOT to feed science diet

Royal canin is a good food. They have some good varieties.

As for Orijen I have to agree with your vet on this one. I think the high protein from multiple sources is too much for many dogs, which could be cause for the stomach upset. However if you are sure that the trash incident was what upset your pups stomach stick with what works!

I would suggest you try Acana (if you want to stick with Champion), Fromm, or Annamaet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

For me I read the bag and the ingredients on Royal Canine and all other foods. Not to hard to figure out the bad food verse the good ones. Than learn the actual companies that make them as well. Try to see where the stuff comes from. made In USA means nothing its where the ingredients are sourced from. That is the best way to learn these foods.

Most vets will say Royal or Science diet are good since those two companies make the no active ingredients prescription foods. The vets sell and profit from this.

IMO Royal is a scam and are marketing geniuses.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I feed what works, which right now is California Natural Lamb and Rice. My oldest dog does best on a "simple" food. Too many foods, even good ones (heck even raw diets) have 2, 3, 4 different protein sources in one meal, plus other carbs, fillers, etc. My older dog needs a "limited ingredient diet", and because this particular kibble is safe for all ages (included puppies weaned to it), everyone in my house gets it and they all do great. I can't remember the last time I've had to consult a vet for a gut issue, other than my newest puppy who had worms (I could see them, so we dewormed him). I do feed my dogs table scraps, raw items, and other kibble samples on occasion, but I steer away from foods that have dozens of ingredients. I tried Fromm a few summer's back because it's a good company, but none of the dogs did real well. Everyone had bigger, smellier poops and two of my dogs got itchy. I switched back to my one carb one protein kibble and everyone was healthy again, small formed poop that isn't smelly, great coats. I wouldn't feed Royal Canin or Science Diet.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just brought one of my dogs home from MSU for a two weeks stay and they were feeding him Purina pro-plan.
The nutritionist that will be consulting with me is a Purina rep.
Hills has some competition.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

LOL you should compete at an event at Purina Farms! I came home with several canvass bags of their kibble and treats. No one on my team would touch it. I wouldn't ever buy it and feed it, but I don't care if my dogs eat it for a treat so every once in a while I open a sample bag and toss it outside for them to hunt around for.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

The vet doesn't choose your dog's food, you do. I always say thank you for the suggestion, then make my own decision. If the vet recommended a food I didn't want to use, I'd ask why and share my concerns.
LuvShepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

lol Liesje that's how I came home from Gateway last year
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.