German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Nature's Domain grain free Salmon, Sweet potato VS kirklands Lamb and Rice? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/481057-natures-domain-grain-free-salmon-sweet-potato-vs-kirklands-lamb-rice.html)

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-18-2014 01:34 PM

Nature's Domain grain free Salmon, Sweet potato VS kirklands Lamb and Rice?

Ok. Decided to switch from Royal Canine to a better dog food (recently found out it's just full of filler and junk and a lot of $ for nothing).

So far I've heard great things about Natures Domain Salmon and Kirklands lamb and rice. The upside of Natures Domain is I believe it is grain free and Kirklands is not.

What are your opinions and suggestions?

Thanks for any and all opinions and info :-)

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-18-2014 01:36 PM

Oh ya forgot to add that I'm planning on starting to feed him a little raw meat as well for night time feedings. So some chicken, turkey, etc. this way he will get some extra meat protein as I know the protein content in the food comes mostly from vegetables and not real meat.

my boy diesel 08-18-2014 03:42 PM

kirkland makes natures domain i believe
i would not put a puppy on natures domain

dont feed raw and kibble in one setting

Twyla 08-18-2014 04:45 PM

Nature Domain is Kirkland's grain free version.

Opinion is decent food, good price. I will add, Woolf is not allowed to eat the salmon version; for whatever reason it gives him a very unpleasant smell. Seriously open the windows type of smell. Other then that, both of mine are on ND and doing good.

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-18-2014 11:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have my sister in law purchase us the ND salmon one and the turkey one to try. I know they are a little low in protein . So I'll add either eggs or meat to their diet (not with their kibble though) every couple of days. Hopefully this will help/lessen all the itching he is doing.

my boy diesel 08-18-2014 11:37 PM

if you want to try salmon then do not add meat for up to 6 or 8 weeks to rule out food sensitivity
not sure about eggs
how old is your dog?

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-19-2014 11:17 AM

He's 18 months

my boy diesel 08-19-2014 11:57 AM

oh then the food alone is probably good
i use salmon oil as a top dressing on all the dogs food

GSD Owner in Training :-) 08-19-2014 12:50 PM

The salmon oil Is a great idea. We are currently feeding Royal Canine german shepherd adult for $90 a bag and found out its horrible food (rated at 2 star :( ). Then We found out kirklands natures domain grain free and the non grain free are rated between a 3.5/4 for only $40 a bag and 5lb more food per bag. It's rated 1.5/2 stars better than Royal and for a bonus the $ saving would be great right now I know it's not the best but at least it's way better than Royal. Just wish we had researched it earlier, poor guys been on it since he was a puppy.

kiya 08-19-2014 01:08 PM

I use both salmon & turkey no problems