German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Weight gainer for sensitive stomach? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/480833-weight-gainer-sensitive-stomach.html)

s14roller 08-17-2014 06:14 PM

Weight gainer for sensitive stomach?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a supplement/food that is very high in calories but won't upset a sensitive stomach? My GSD has been on the lower side for weight (vet says it's perfect) but the issue is sometimes she will have looser stool so I back off the food to ease the load on her system a bit. If I feed more food, for the most part she will just poop more and less solid amounts.

Is there something I can add to help her gain some weight? Or is the better thing to just continually add a lil more feed at a time until her system gets used to more food?

David Winners 08-17-2014 07:41 PM

If the vet says her weight is good, why do you want to put more weight on her?

You may consider switching foods to find something that agrees with her better. What are you feeding now?

If you want to bulk her up, you can use satin balls.

SummerwoodSoaps 08-18-2014 08:54 AM

Agree with the satin balls! And raw diet really helps too. If you do it right, you won't have cannon but.

Honest kitchen I use to help keep weight on my not really food motivated dog. I rotate between Thrive, embark, and love because they are the highest calories. Try to find a kibble that has the high calories per cup. I use Victor dog food when I feed kibble. Good food st a great price.

Canned pumpkin could help too but isn't really calorie dense. But might help firm up stool.

s14roller 08-18-2014 09:23 AM

Sorry, to clarify, her weight is fine when she’s not having digestive issues…however, for example, she has had looser stool these last 2-3 weeks (soft serve, but it’s this sticky texture), so I have not been feeding her normal amounts. What’s strange is last week her stool was solid so I thought we were over it, but now it’s back again. Stool samples came up negative, and she acts the same, just sticky stool.

She’s definitely lost a little weight since we have been giving her maybe 30% less food, and just hate seeing her so thin while we’re going through the soft stool issue.

David Winners 08-18-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14roller (Post 5917321)
Sorry, to clarify, her weight is fine when she’s not having digestive issues…however, for example, she has had looser stool these last 2-3 weeks (soft serve, but it’s this sticky texture), so I have not been feeding her normal amounts. What’s strange is last week her stool was solid so I thought we were over it, but now it’s back again. Stool samples came up negative, and she acts the same, just sticky stool.

She’s definitely lost a little weight since we have been giving her maybe 30% less food, and just hate seeing her so thin while we’re going through the soft stool issue.

What are you feeding now? Have you tried other foods or raw?

SummerwoodSoaps 08-18-2014 12:14 PM

Has she been tested for Addison's?

s14roller 08-19-2014 09:37 AM

She's currently on Proplan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, otherwise either Nature's Domain or Acana.

The good news is, I had ordered Fortiflora last week and of course, the day I ordered it, her stool started to firm up. I tried to cancel the order but it had shipped. Her stool then softened again these last few days so after 2 days of the Fortiflora, today it seems to have firmed up again. I will continue this for another day or two and evaluate.

The only thing I can think of that we gave her was some cut bananas that were too ripe for us…so we cut them up, put them in the fridge, and have given her a few pieces as a treat. I don’t see how that could have done anything but maybe the banana was bad.