Evangers wet food crazy high in calories? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Evangers wet food crazy high in calories?

So I picked up some Evangers today because I'm lazy and didn't feel like prepping anything, and couldn't find the calorie content on the can. I went to their website, and came across this:

Evanger's Duck & Sweet Potato Dinner

Is this real? A mistype? That's almost 700 kcals/can, and for only $21 a case??

I've never seen anything like this, does anyone feed this and know if those numbers are correct? I'm going to email Evangers and find out, but maybe someone here know's whats up...

My dogs take in, on average, aprox. 1200 calories a day. That's less than 2 cans a day, at only about $1.75 a can... which isn't AMAZING, but still extremely cheep for a "quality" canned food.
atravis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know, but the label says "with Spinach & Kale" and they aren't listed anywhere in the ingredient list on that site.
angelas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the label also say "natural" . there is nothing natural about
L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (as a source of Vit C)

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

No commercial animal feed is "natural", who's surprised? I'm going to assume this must be a product they are retooling, as there is another image of this particular one floating around that uses an older looking label and doesn't include the kale or spinach.

Evangers has had its issues, let's be real, but 700 kcals a can is still hard to ignore. Waiting to hear back on if this labeling is correct.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

calorie count does seem high . 78% moisture - water doesn't have calories?

to compare

PEDIGREEŽ CHOICE CUTS IN GRAVY. There are 340 kcals per 375 g can.

here is a long list of comparisons expressed as calories per ounce and others as calories per can .
https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-n...calorie-count/

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm wondering if that list is totally accurate/up to date? I looked up the Pure Vita foods it has listed as over 800kcals/kg, and found on their website that they are only 425 kcals/kg (which is really only about 150 calories per can, as cans are done by gram).

Confusing. There are only a few other cans listed there that are near as high in calories, some of them I've got no clue about (Canine Caviar "frozen" cans?), some I can understand as they appear to use more meats/broths in the cans. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I feed Evanger's Classic Chicken and Rice Dinner. We really like it. It's tough to get up in Alaska-- we live in a remote area and the one grocery store we have really only caries brands like Ol' Roy, Alpo, and Pedigree-- so I usually make a trip to the lower 48 once a year and buy in bulk. I typically get it for $1.25 a can so it's very affordable, but the Classic Line is cheaper than the Super Premium, which you're looking at.

The labeling is correct (I checked, too!). The calorie content is high-- the Chicken and Rice Dinner is 646 Kcal/can. My dog is very active and I feed two cans a day supplemented with a couple Tbs of coconut oil. We've also fed the Super Premium Chicken Dinner which has fewer calories. They recently started adding spinach and kale (I think some time this spring) to the Super Premium line and haven't updated all of the ingredient lists on their website.

I like Evanger's a lot. Their customer service has always been responsive to me. And it's the only high-calorie, limited ingredient, chicken-based canned food I've found that's actually affordable. My dog isn't a huge eater and I would have a heck of a time feeding him more than two cans a day, so the 646 Kcal/can for us is a huge blessing.
_Zero_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Interesting, thank you Zoro!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Question. Rice is high in calories for people but supposedly dogs can't digest It as in extract nutrients. So do they still get the calories from it? How does this work? I'm a retard in nutrition, pls be patient
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't think its an issue of [white] rice not being digestible (it is!), its a matter of it having very little nutritional content to the dog when digested.

Rice is a high-starch carb. And while dogs can benefit from some carbohydrates in their diet (they get the majority of their usable energy from fat), including a large amount of them is, more or less, wasteful. Its like eating a lot of empty calories.

Basically all commercial pet foods do this. Just like in the Duck can here, I'm sure a good deal of the calories are coming from the sw. potato, but I'm not overly worried about it. I doubt the amount of rice/sp. potato/etc in these cans makes up the majority of the product as it does with most kibbles, which tend to be much higher in starches and carbs on the whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.