Ox Tail and Rib bones - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Ox Tail and Rib bones

I went to get some marrow bones tonight, but they didn't have any...they did have ox tail and rib bones. Does anyone feed ox tail or rib bone? There seems to be alot of meat on the tail...not so much on the ribs.

I'm having mixed feelings about weight bearing bones...I don't want him to wear down his teeth prematurely.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I give ox tails to my dogs. They are pretty dense and take awhile to chew up. I do consider them a raw meaty bone, not a recreational chew. The way I get them is a whole tail cut into a 2" chunk all the way down to the skinny part of the tail So you get big chunks and small ones(small has no meat, just bone) I don't feed beef bones other than these ox tails. Beef is older/denser and harder to digest. For rec chews, go with a knucklebone with cartilage over a marrow bone, they are 'spongy' and softer for the most part, and the cartilage is very nutritious. Marrow is rich, may give your dog some soft or runny poop. And marrow bones could crack a tooth on an aggressive chewer.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I give ox tails to my dogs. They are pretty dense and take awhile to chew up. I do consider them a raw meaty bone, not a recreational chew. The way I get them is a whole tail cut into a 2" chunk all the way down to the skinny part of the tail So you get big chunks and small ones(small has no meat, just bone) I don't feed beef bones other than these ox tails. Beef is older/denser and harder to digest. For rec chews, go with a knucklebone with cartilage over a marrow bone, they are 'spongy' and softer for the most part, and the cartilage is very nutritious. Marrow is rich, may give your dog some soft or runny poop. And marrow bones could crack a tooth on an aggressive chewer.
That is why I'm looking at other options. Chicken necks, turkey necks, etc. But would the necks be considered meaty bones too? The store had some beef neck cut up too...It had less meat then the ox tails. I don't mind the meat...he enjoys it off the marrow bones. I'm more concerned about the appropriateness of the bone itself as a chew once he gets the meat off. Don't want him to choke on anything.

I will have to go to a butcher to get knuckle bones. Can't find them at the store.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

These are for recreational chews or for meal? Necks are considered RMB's, they contain a fair amount of bone so shouldn't really be given as a chew. If you give a turkey neck you should give some muscle meat with it to avoid constipation. I won't feed beef neck though others do with no issue. I seldom if ever give pork necks which are smaller than beef.
If you want a rec chew bone, then try to find the knucklebones or even elk antlers that are split down the middle to expose the marrow are pretty safe.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I feed beef ribs but I have a very careful chewer who will spend a good 15 min eating a small one and have had no issues. I only feed beef ribs as a snack or if I give my girl a lot of organs or fatty stuff for the day, she gets loose with skin on chicken for example, I usually peel it off, if I leave it on a rib bone keeps everything perfect.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
These are for recreational chews or for meal? Necks are considered RMB's, they contain a fair amount of bone so shouldn't really be given as a chew. If you give a turkey neck you should give some muscle meat with it to avoid constipation. I won't feed beef neck though others do with no issue. I seldom if ever give pork necks which are smaller than beef.
If you want a rec chew bone, then try to find the knucklebones or even elk antlers that are split down the middle to expose the marrow are pretty safe.
Yes, I'm looking for recreational chews. I will keep the turkey necks away for right now. Eventually I would like to give him a neck here and there to eat.Will be sure to add some meat or pumpkin to keep things moving. I like the idea of him chewing on something natural rather than rubber...so exploring what I can give him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.