Anyone use Missing Link Ultimate hip and joint - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone use Missing Link Ultimate hip and joint

Anyone use Missing Link? I've been using it for a few months, just curious if anyone has any pro/cons on this product. He is fed BB kibble with a small topping of BB canned food. Starting to think he has a chicken allergy also.

I'm thinking of switching to TOTW. Seems like people favor it a little more.
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Below is a comparison of Missing Links Joint and "Joint Support"

Missing Link Ingredients:
Ground Flaxseed (some dogs can be sensetive to flax and it may make them itch), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Cane Molasses (although Molasses does have beneficial properties it is a sugar and is in the top 5 ingredients), Rice Bran, Primary Dried Yeast (yeast does have beneficial properties but can also make a dog itch), Sunflower Seed, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrot, Ground Beef Bone, Dried Fish Solubles (UN-Named source of fish), Freeze Dried Oyster, Ground Barley Grass, Dried Kelp, Zinc Methionine Complex, Lecithin, Selenium Yeast, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Garlic, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

This is one of the supplements I use and feel it has a better ingredient list.
JOINT SUPPORT:
BiovaPlex: a proprietary all natural ingredient derived from natural eggshell membrane rich in elastin, collagens and glycosaminoglycans such as Chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine. Supports the stability and flexibility of joint as well as skin and coat.
Cetyl Myristoleate Complex (CM8): is a potent joint lubricant. By keeping joints lubricated, wear and tear takes less toll on joints. Contains the highest and most bio-available concentration of Cetyl Myristoleate available.

Biocell Collagen II TG: comes from chicken cartilage and contains the greatest number of joint supporting proteoglycans of all the forms of collagen. Creating a fibrillar network of collagen allows the cartilage to entrap the proteoglycans and provide tensile strength to the surrounding tissue.
MSM: provides two essential substances: Sulfur-a building block of joints, cartilage, nerve tissue, skin, hair, and nails. The sulfur in MSM helps promote flexibility, elasticity of body tissue and helps maintain cell membrane permeability. It is also an antioxidant.
Methyl groups: support many vital biochemical processes in the body including energy production.
Bromelain: a proteolytic enzyme from fresh pineapple which promotes a normal immune response in human and animals.
Ester C: a powerful antioxidant
GMO Free. Gluten Free. Soy Free.
Joint Support For Pets - Mercola.com

Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use it for my GSD. Dr. Jean Dodd's of Hemopet recommended it as well as my local holistic vet.

Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

I used it for 12 years on my chocolate Labrador Retriever and he never had any problems with his joints. When he turned 12 years old, he started to moan and groan whenever he got up or laid down. Took him to the vet and found that he had two protruding discs on his spine that were causing his rear legs to loose mobility. We had to put him down just shy or his 13th birthday. He was a big boy, 98lbs.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the first ingredient of Missing Link is flaxseed .
You need to know if the flaxseed non GMO.
You need to know that flaxseed is highly sensitive to the fats going rancid which creates an inflammatory process.

I wonder why the formula has glucosamine and does not have MSM included .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Okay. Im trying to figure out what is causing his allergies. I'm almost positive it's chicken. But, it could also be something in the missing link....Or, we always put a dab of BB canned food on top of his kibble. We usually just buy 5 or 6 cans of different "flavors"... I'm going to stick to only 1....I was switching his kibble protein after each bag. If I got chicken, the next bag I would get salmon, or something else....I'll start narrowing everything down and see what I come up with. He has been itching a little and some minor eye drainage.

He has been playing in the water a lot lately also and I think his right ear got infected or inflamed....It's fine now....He let's me mess with his ears, paws, mouth, etc, but when he sees the ear rinse/medicated drops come out, he completely goes the opposite direction. I help him while the wife put them in and I'm surprised I didn't get bit. He was PO.

I will look into the other supplements also. Thanks for the help
Old 07-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

might be flax gone bad --

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
the first ingredient of Missing Link is flaxseed .
You need to know if the flaxseed non GMO.
You need to know that flaxseed is highly sensitive to the fats going rancid which creates an inflammatory process.

I wonder why the formula has glucosamine and does not have MSM included .
Not for sure....My former female GSD, we used Dasuquin with MSM. She had severe HD. Seemed to help but it's pricey. Not for sure why Missing Link doesn't have MSM ...Thanks, something for me to look into. I want to provide all the right supplements to support his hips and joints. HD is one of my major worries due to my previous experience. Bane will be getting his hips and elbows scanned in about 2 months. That is going to be very nerve racking for me!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am huge fan and supporter of Dr. Dodds, but on this product I would have to respectfully disagree. I would not feed my dogs an UN-Named source ie poultry meal (what bird?), fish meal/fish solubles/fish oil (what fish?), meat meal (which animals?) bone meal (what animal bones?) etc. But, that's just MY criteria for food and supplements! Everyone has their own thing!

Flaxseed/Flaxseed Oil is the only thing that makes our male itch!

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Moms,

I have the utmost respect for your opinions and the knowledge that you willingly share. Thank you. You have made some very valid points here. I am curious to hear what Missing Link has to say so I emailed them. I'll let you know if/when I get a reply. The GMO question brought up by Carmen needs to be addressed. Frankly, I'm not worried about the rancid factor since I store my Missing Link in the 'fridge. A person could argue that like anything else we buy; who knows what happened before we bought it but assuming this is a respectable company, I'm giving them a pass on that point.

You may recall my GSD Traveler has had some skin issues (staph infection secondary to ???) so I am very, very interested in getting some direct feedback.

Lynn and Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.