German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Diamond Hi-Energy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/469185-diamond-hi-energy.html)

HarleyTheGSD 07-10-2014 04:22 PM

Diamond Hi-Energy

I'm currently feeding Varick and Harley Diamond Natural, but I may want to switch to Hi-Energy. For high energy, working/sporting dogs.
Varick is the very high energy one. Harley, not so much. Would it hurt him to eat this food?
What exactly does a high energy dog food do for a dog?

selzer 07-10-2014 05:17 PM

I use the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice mixed with the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. The EA has more calories, more protein, and more fat. When you have a dog that is burning off a lot of energy, the hope is that it will help the dog keep weight on.

Frankly, though, I am wondering if others seem to be having issues since they changed their look and formula.

HarleyTheGSD 07-10-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5758162)
I use the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice mixed with the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. The EA has more calories, more protein, and more fat. When you have a dog that is burning off a lot of energy, the hope is that it will help the dog keep weight on.

Frankly, though, I am wondering if others seem to be having issues since they changed their look and formula.

I see. Well, I don't believe that EA is available where I get their food. But I can check again.
Harley is not very athletic, so I may just stick to Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice. I usually just feed Varick more of it.

Lilie 07-10-2014 06:16 PM

I feed the Extreme Athlete to all of my dogs. I feed my 10 year old Golden 1.5 cups a day. I feed my mini doxie a handful. I feed my GSD 2 cups a day, my Lacy one cup a day and my daughters beagle less than a cup a day.

They all get a raw chicken leg or wing in the morning. Their poop is solid and very small amounts.

Every dog will tend to put on weight if I provide more food. I've never had a problem putting weight on any of them.

HarleyTheGSD 07-10-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5758282)
I feed the Extreme Athlete to all of my dogs. I feed my 10 year old Golden 1.5 cups a day. I feed my mini doxie a handful. I feed my GSD 2 cups a day, my Lacy one cup a day and my daughters beagle less than a cup a day.

They all get a raw chicken leg or wing in the morning. Their poop is solid and very small amounts.

Every dog will tend to put on weight if I provide more food. I've never had a problem putting weight on any of them.

Thank you! So I suppose it wouldn't hurt my five year old lazy butt to eat a small amount each day. Varick has always had a difficult time putting on weight. It looks like I starve him...at one point, I was giving him six cups a day. Still no weight gain. This may be the solution.

LaRen616 07-10-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5758314)
Varick has always had a difficult time putting on weight. It looks like I starve him...at one point, I was giving him six cups a day. Still no weight gain. This may be the solution.

Have you had him specifically tested for EPI?

Lilie 07-10-2014 06:36 PM

I really did try to give different foods for each dog - my older dog and the doxie doesn't need this type of kibble. I felt it unfair to give them a 'smaller' amount of kibble. But I decided that was more of a human emotion. All the dogs finish eating at about the same time anyway.

I do struggle with the Doxie keeping weight off of her. She is an opportunistic eater...if it falls or crawls, she'll eat it. She had a broken back leg at some point in her life and it was never set, so I have to watch her exercise levels. She was HUGE - belly & chest dragging the ground huge - when we got her. So she's come a long way since then. Her coat is shiney and nothing drags the ground. To the average person she looks of good weight, but I think for the sake of her leg, she needs to be a bit thinner.

ChristenHolden 07-10-2014 08:00 PM

I feed the diamond naturals as well. No issues yet on the new formula dogs love it I use 40 pounds a week for my 13.