German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   New to home cooked (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/466609-new-home-cooked.html)

Ellimaybel 07-03-2014 01:26 AM

New to home cooked

Turns out, Gunther has a sensitive stomach. He might not be able to go back to kibble, we will have to see. For now due to solidifying his stools he's on chicken and rice. He was picking out all the chicken and knocking the rice all over the floor so I've taken to pureeing the two together. My question is, HOW do all of you do this every day? I am spending hours a day boiling, cooling, skinning, de-boning, rinsing, and pureeing food for this dog then I sit down for about 5 minutes before going into work. Then I get home at 11-1 am and have to do the dishes to do it all again tomorrow. Most days I'm so busy fixing his food that I don't even remember to eat until I get to work. You would think this is helping me lose weight, but it's not. I'm exhausted. My biceps and shoulders and backs are full of knots, my feet ache (my job requires walking the entire night), and honestly I can't think of a muscle that doesn't hurt.

I'm not complaining. You can't put a price tag on the love from Gunther, and I would do anything for him. I just really would like to know how those of you who have been doing this for a long time do it. Are there some type of shortcuts I don't know about? Any tips at this point would be greatly appreciated!!

volcano 07-03-2014 01:50 AM

my girl was only sick once where I fed rice and chicken. I put the chicken into the pot while I boiled the rice, then shredded it. That was enough for a few days. Theres no need to make it fresh every day. Get a bigger pot.

Ellimaybel 07-03-2014 02:03 AM

For a couple of days, yes. But if it turns out I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my dog's life, I think I need a cauldron over a fire outside. :)

counter 07-03-2014 06:10 AM

Do you have to cook the food for it to "work"? Our 4 dogs are on an exclusively raw diet, and I don't cook anything. I just put all of the small stuff, like supplement oils and powders and organ meats, etc into a bowl and mix it up, and then give them a separate meal of the big chunks of meat and bone. They eat it all and have about as solid of stools as you can ever get. I see a lot of people who cook food for their dogs, but I'm under the assumption that, when you cook it, you're cooking out all of the good stuff. I've even read where people are cooking a "raw" diet for their dogs. It's not raw if it's cooked. Haha! Not that you're doing or calling it that. Just funny though.

Sunflowers 07-03-2014 06:33 AM

Oh, goodness. Give yourself a break and the dog more nutrients.

Try raw. He doesn't need the rice, on the contrary, the majority of rice contains arsenic.

qbchottu 07-03-2014 09:04 AM

Get a large pressure cooker, throw in a whole chicken and a couple sweet potatoes. It should mash down into a convenient purée. Plus makes several servings worth.

I visited a kennel a few months back - they had a coccidia outbreak and passed to my dogs. I cooked for 9 dogs for a week without breaking my back or giving up my day job ;)

Make things simple. Bland now, but once stomach issues resolve, he needs to get on a complete raw diet or a good quality kibble.

GSDAlphaMom 07-03-2014 09:13 AM

I just resolved an issue I had (my thread title is 7 month old with no weight gain...or something like that). THree weeks of loose stool, did the ck/rice for 3 days, cut all supplements except the probiotic, reintroduced raw (am), kibble (pm) ADDED Bilex and he now has perfect stools (I should add parasites/worms/IBD/EPI were all ruled out).

I learned most probiotics are plant based. The Bilex has bovine in it. It helps with nutrient absorbtion. People with gallbladders removed use it to break down fats. I am very please with it. You may want to look into it.

Heidigsd 07-03-2014 09:48 AM

I cook for Nikki and it is a lot of work and dirty dishes :p

I boil her pork tenderloin and bake her sweet potatoes...I make enough for four days. I divide her meat & potatoes in containers so I don't have to weigh her food for every meal.

I have been cooking for her for almost three years and you get used to it after a while.

Besides the rice and chicken are you giving him supplements to balance his diet?

As far as the "arsenic" in rice there is a great post over on K9 Kitchen from a veterinary toxicologist you might want to read (you have to join the group). It's message# 101513 but basically feeding rice is not an issue.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...essages/101513

Pawsed 07-03-2014 09:53 AM

We cook for our dogs, once every 2 weeks. Obviously, we cook a large amount at once and parcel it out into individual serving sizes and freeze most of those. At feeding time, we take out one container for each dog and warm it in the microwave, then add whatever supplements the dog needs. It takes a couple or 3 hours to make an entire batch, but then the work is done for a couple of weeks. It works well for us and our dogs.

Ellimaybel 07-03-2014 04:24 PM

I appreciate the input from everyone. I just need to find a way to manage my time for this. As far as supplements, he will be getting more nutrients once I can start reintroducing, which is going to start today. I wound up sleeping HARD last night. Have tonight's food done and tomorrow's will be cooked and in the fridge for me to puree tomorrow. Tonight I'll cook some sweet potatoes to add in. Please, keep tips coming! I have a feeling this is going to be my life lol.