German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   HUGE & frequent stool on Orijen (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/464161-huge-frequent-stool-orijen.html)

spacenuts 06-25-2014 05:13 PM

HUGE & frequent stool on Orijen

I have been feeding my dog on Orijen Regional Red for approx. 1 year now, maybe more. I thought, overall, he has been doing well on it. But, he still has bowel movements 4x/day! And they aren't small....they are large (at least large in my opinion). To my understanding, big stools and that frequent means he isn't digesting the food properly.

I would like to switch foods, if that's what I need to do. I was thinking Orijen 6 Fish or some of the Acana lines. My dog is definitely allergic to Chicken so that eliminates alot of brands. Any thoughts on the Boreal line?

LambAgneau Boreal Pet Food

Wild SalmonSaumon sauvage Boreal Pet Food

I have fed my dog RAW on many occasions and his stool is much smaller. RAW on a regular basis isn't an option for me at this point, unfortunately because it's clear to me he does best on RAW.

On a side note, on his lower back, near the base of his tail, his coat is really dry down there, mild flaking, and he squiggles a bit when I scratch him there. I'm wondering why I can't get rid of that dry coat down there. Maybe that's normal?

lauren43 06-25-2014 05:19 PM

I think for some dogs its just a very rich food, with too many different protein sources and too high of protein.

I am not familiar with the foods you posted.

My go to recommendations are Horizon Legacy and Annamaet. I do like Acana as well.

lauren43 06-25-2014 05:22 PM

Just took a peak a the links posted. They look good to me. Though I would want to know the ash content before feeding.

spacenuts 06-25-2014 05:26 PM

How do I find out the Ash content of foods?

Maybe I'm feeding him too much in a day? Perhaps I should cut back how much I'm feeding him slightly?

I'm also skeptical about the pork in Regional Red. Although it's way down the list on the ingredients, I do recall feeding my dog RAW pork and it's didn't go so well.

lauren43 06-25-2014 05:31 PM

Raw pork is weird. Some dogs have no issues with it. Others have to be introed over time.

How is your dog doing on Orijen otherwise? Good weight? Coat? Energy?

Most companies list ash content in their percentage breakdown, if they don't you can generally email them to find out (and the amount of time it takes for them to get back to you says a ton about their customer service)..

spacenuts 06-25-2014 05:37 PM

He has no shortage on energy!

To me, his coat is nice, except for the base of tail area.

He's on the skinnier side, but definitely not underweight.

lauren43 06-25-2014 05:50 PM

If he's on the thin side (which I think is preferable) you don't want to decrease how much he's eating.

You do have the benefit of being in Canada, I tend to lean towards their dog foods.

carmspack 06-25-2014 06:39 PM

that is odd that Orijen has your dog producing large frequent stool.

When travelling the dogs may get Orijen as a substitute and the stool is similar to raw .

Your links to the new food say single source protein . One lists lamb , the other salmon . Each one does have a second source of animal protein and that is the inclusion of eggs.
Peas and beans are also protein source.

spacenuts 06-25-2014 10:20 PM

I think it's odd too. I thought Orijen would be the "perfect" dog food for him. There is a huge difference in stools between the Orijen Regional Red and RAW. Odd.

Acana has a Lamb/Apple formula (single protein), but the 3rd ingredient is Steel Cut Oats. Is that bad? Their Duck/Pear formula is the same thing. I thought someone once told me to stay away from oats, rice, etc. in dog food.

The ash content of Boreal is 8% apparently. Is that good or bad? What is ash all about?

Lucy Dog 06-25-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacenuts (Post 5691633)
I think it's odd too. I thought Orijen would be the "perfect" dog food for him. There is a huge difference in stools between the Orijen Regional Red and RAW. Odd.

Acana has a Lamb/Apple formula (single protein), but the 3rd ingredient is Steel Cut Oats. Is that bad? Their Duck/Pear formula is the same thing. I thought someone once told me to stay away from oats, rice, etc. in dog food.

The ash content of Boreal is 8% apparently. Is that good or bad? What is ash all about?

I've got one of mine on Acana lamb/apple and she does great on it. It's a good food for a dog with sensitivities to chicken.