German Shepherds Forum banner

Purina Sues Blue Buffalo for False Advertising

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gwenhwyfair 
#1 ·
Blue started out good but as time went on I noticed them changing up ingredients while increasing marketing.

Pet care giant Nestlé Purina is suing rival Blue Buffalo for allegedly misleading customers about what's in their dog and cat food.

The lawsuit claims that independent testing found "significant percentages of poultry by-product meal" in several of Blue Buffalo’s top-selling "Life Protection" pet foods. The complaint also alleges Blue Buffalo's "LifeSource Bits" contain poultry by-product meal and corn, and that several Blue Buffalo products promoted as "grain-free" actually contain rice hulls.

Read more: Pet Food Giant Purina Sues Blue Buffalo - Business Insider

#2 ·
Interesting. I wonder how many others are lying on their ingredient lists? I know that Science Diet and now Authority are the only two I've been able to feed Dude without itching problems. I give him the good stuff and he starts itching and chewing his paws right away.

#4 ·
I don't know about 'grasping at straws' quite yet. Purina states they have independent lab results to prove their allegations.

So it falls into the 'jury is still out' category.

I find it odd that behemoth Nestle Purina is going after Blue with a vengeance.

Purina could have simply upped the game on their brand.

Having said that, it's not all sunflowers and pure white driven snow at Blue either.

I used to feed it and found they started skimping on quality, decreasing the amount of food per bag (lower weight) while upping their prices and spending mega bucks on marketing. They dropped some meat ingredients from the formula I was feeding. I got two bags with round red colored kibbles mixed in and that was it for me and Blue.

The guy who owns Blue used to own 'SoBe' drinks. He grew the brand and then sold it to...it was Coke or Pepsi I believe, for big bucks.

I suspect that's the game plan for Blue, grow the brand and then sell it to a mega corp.

#5 ·
I guess my issue with the whole thing is ... how is it Purina's business? If there was false advertising, shouldn't they present their findings and then someone "official" would bring suit? I think it's more sour grapes than anything on Purina's part or maybe smoke and mirrors. "Don't notice our crappy ingredient list! Look at what bad thing BB is doing!!"

#7 ·
I feed a different brand (neither Purina nor Blue) and they were in a class action lawsuit for advertising "human grade" ingredients. I made a little money in the settlement, but still feed the food.

#10 ·
I guess I don't see which ads target a specific brand, unless it's the vague statements about byproducts, corn etc. Mostly I just see dogs running through the woods with blue eyes hehe.

Can you tell I don't pay much attention to ads? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.