German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Nylabone soft chew (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/458314-nylabone-soft-chew.html)

eddie1976E 06-08-2014 02:34 PM

Nylabone soft chew

Does anyone use the soft chews that nylabone sells? My little guy loves them. It is pretty much the only thing he chews on a consistent basis. It is always supervised and I don't let him have it longer than 30 minutes since I don't want him devouring it. He has many bones to chew on, but I think the fact that this one is flavored and has a lot of give, it is more interesting to him. He is 18 weeks and his teeth are pretty sensitive.

Mary Beth 06-08-2014 10:40 PM

I also like the Nylabones. I do think your idea is right that the flavor and the flexible feel are what the puppies like.

Liesje 06-09-2014 10:24 AM

Is this the edible one? I love nylabones (my dogs chew them daily) but no longer used the edible, softer ones for puppies. They gave my puppy the runs.

eddie1976E 06-09-2014 11:15 AM

No, not the edible ones. I read about the tummy issues and avoid them. This is the one...

Liesje 06-09-2014 05:55 PM

Haven't tried that one. Says it's not recommended for strong chewers, which all of my dogs are!

Steve Strom 06-09-2014 06:09 PM

I could be missing some details, or maybe its not even correct, but when I started reading and hearing these kinds of stories, I got rid of the Nylabones. Could be I missed something though, but I don't let mine chew anything they can't consume.

https://www.purelypets.com/wellness-...labone-warning

Your puppy probably can't chew a piece of Eddie, but I'd stick to bully sticks and stuffed kongs.

eddie1976E 06-09-2014 06:27 PM

I supervise his chewing of this bone closely. He only chews at the end and is able to get small pieces off and swallows them. Most dogs eat small indigestible things and pass them, so a few pieces of rubber should pass ok. My puppy eats small pebbles (not that I want to have him eat them, but he does when out playing). I don't let him chew it for hours on end. I'm pretty paranoid about things, but I'm pretty comfortable with this as I'm watching him and I see he doesn't chew off big pieces.

I like the idea of the bully sticks, but I hear they don't last long. I also like the antlers but they are too expensive.

Liesje 06-10-2014 09:57 AM

I give my baby puppies bully sticks but once the puppies are like 14 weeks old they start swallowing larger chunks which is dangerous. I don't want to have to sit there and watch the dog chew, for me that defeats the purpose of giving him something to do and not be naughty while I'm busy.

I have used antlers but the less dense ones only last minutes and the dense ones are so hard they will break or grind down the dog's teeth.

I don't like the idea of Nylabones being basically plastic, but so far it's the only thing my dogs can chew daily, unsupervised, and not be wearing down their teeth, bleeding gums, or swallowing chunks. They might break off pieces smaller than grains of rice but I see them spit them out and they get picked up in the vacuum.

alexg 06-10-2014 01:35 PM

So it looks like the Nylabones are one of the better options.

eddie1976E 06-11-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5623505)
I give my baby puppies bully sticks but once the puppies are like 14 weeks old they start swallowing larger chunks which is dangerous. I don't want to have to sit there and watch the dog chew, for me that defeats the purpose of giving him something to do and not be naughty while I'm busy.

I have used antlers but the less dense ones only last minutes and the dense ones are so hard they will break or grind down the dog's teeth.

I don't like the idea of Nylabones being basically plastic, but so far it's the only thing my dogs can chew daily, unsupervised, and not be wearing down their teeth, bleeding gums, or swallowing chunks. They might break off pieces smaller than grains of rice but I see them spit them out and they get picked up in the vacuum.

Do you get the ones for strong chewers?