German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Does this sound like a picky eater? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/456490-does-sound-like-picky-eater.html)

gnarf 06-02-2014 11:10 PM

Does this sound like a picky eater?

So my dog ghost (15 months) is kind of a weird eater

His original owner (I've had him for 1 month, but have known his for his whole life) was feeding him purina puppy chow. They also left his food out all the time for him to choose when to eat.

I slowly switched him to taste of the wild. At first he ate it right up, but recently wont touch it, with some exceptions.

Some day just giving him a treat first will make him hungry and **** eat.

Some days I have to break the treats up into tiny bits and mix into the kibble then **** eat it, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Today he wouldn't touch it, so i gave him a handful of leftover purina. He ate it right up. Then a handful of taste of the wild, he ate it up. So i put his bowl back in front of his face. Ate the whole thing and licked the sides.

I usually leave his food out if he wont eat, because he will sometimes only eat when he is alone. His old owner said ghost would only ever eat when no one was around, but sometimes this trick doesn't work.

Im thinking about either switching foods, mixing in some wet food, or trying toppers?

What do you guys think? Should I just tough it out and let him learn to eat what he has?

Also hes very skinny from not eating so much so im worried trying to only put food out and then taking it away if he doesn't eat after 15 minutes will cause more weight loss.

Thanks for reading this long winded post and for answering the questions. I really appreciate it guys and gals.:help:

gsdsar 06-02-2014 11:25 PM

First, I find it hilarious automatic board censors censored he'll. apostrophes, who knew.

Second. Put the good bowl down, leave it for 30 minutes. If he does not eat, pull it up. No treats. Put it back down again at dinner. Give him 30 minutes. If he does not eat, pull it up. No treats. He will realize that he better eat when you put it down, or he gets nothing. Healthy dogs won't starve themselves.

Don't keep switching food, don't keep adding goodies, don't cajole him in to eating. Makes problems worse.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

barnyard 06-03-2014 07:32 AM

Could he sometimes have a bit of a tummy ache from not eating. I have one who has a fast metabolism and if she hasn't eaten since the night before sometimes won't touch her food. Of course that doesn't help. I give her a biscuit right after we get up and before breakfast. That seems to help.

gnarf 06-03-2014 11:17 PM

Ok so he missed his first meal because he didnt go for it in time. Put his bowl down for second meal same thing only as I went to pick it up noticed had found a couple bits outside the bowl he licked up and ate.

Gave him another couple minutes, nothing. Then i scooped up a bit into my hand, he ate it out of my hand. Still not interested in the bowl. I put more in my hand, he ate it. He ended up eating the whole bowl out my my hand.

What does this mean? Mabey a negative association with the bowl?

Its been very weird and confusing.

dogfaeries 06-03-2014 11:27 PM

Sometimes my picky Sage will take her foot and tip her bowl over, dumping her food everywhere. Then she eats it. Drives me crazy. Who knows what goes on in their head sometimes!

Sent from Petguide.com App