German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Orijen, acana, or blue buffalo? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/455386-orijen-acana-blue-buffalo.html)

Yennie 05-30-2014 12:18 AM

Orijen, acana, or blue buffalo?

Im currently feeding my boy RC. The main reason i fed him rc was because he had loose stools from the old cheap dog food i fed him a while back and he seemed to have some sort of food allergy towards it. I switched to rc and realize now he is still scratching like crazy. So i did a lot of research on the 3 brands listed above, but still havent considered which to switch him to. BB is available at thr local petsmart, but i havent seen the other two. Thats why i need a second opinion.I also want something thatll help him put on a few pounds. What do you guys suggest?

P.s i know ive asked something similiar about dog food before but ive finally narrowed it down but i still need opinions from which of the 3 to choose.

Shade 05-30-2014 09:07 AM

I'd go with Orijen or Acana over BB

blackshep 05-30-2014 09:13 AM

I agree with Shade :)

DTS 05-30-2014 10:14 AM

I feed both orijen and acana. Orijen LBP to my 9 month old and acana to my 4 year old. They've both done great on it. Titan is very active eats 4-5 cups a day.
Jasmine isn't very active and she eats 2 cups a day and could loose about 5lbs.
Doggiefood.com always has free shipping over $49 and I get good coupons thru email. I normally can save $20-30 with the coupons if I buy a bag of each.
Never had an issue with a bad batch. Both dogs eat it up, they love it.
However, my girls stool was a little loose on the wild prairie so we only buy the Pacifica and the ranch lands formula. Coats are nice and soft.

LaRen616 05-30-2014 10:35 AM

I used to feed Blue Buffalo and I never had any issues (this was 3-4 years ago) but they are having a lot of issues now so I would go with Acana or Orijen.

Brando & Julietta's Dad 05-30-2014 12:52 PM

If you compare the ingredients then orijien is the best. I switched my gsd from royal canine to orijien and noticed big improvement.

corey11331 06-01-2014 09:28 PM

I just switched Major to Fromm Four Star. He was on that garbage from Purina. I switched his food on Friday and today didn't mix any Purina. I did notice that he didn't chomp at his food and didn't eat it like it was going to run away. No runny or loose poops either.

kjdreyer 06-01-2014 10:33 PM

Is there any way you could get sample bags of the Orijen and the Acana (personally I don't think BB is that great) and see how your dog tolerates them? I feed raw now, but I tried both Orijen and Acana, and they were a bit rich for Jedda, her stools were a little too soft. She did better on Fromm's and on Wellness Core grain-free. It can be hard to find the right food because each dog's digestive system can vary, but better quality ingredients and preparation are the way to go! Good luck!

Momto2GSDs 06-02-2014 09:01 AM

Since your dog is scratching, definitely the Grain Free and Chicken free Champion foods as grains and chicken are some times the cause of itching.
Acana Regionals = Pacifica or Grasslands = no chicken (= 60%-65% meat and 35% to 40% vegetables/fruit)
Orijen = Six Fish or Regional Red = no chicken. (80% meat and 20% vegetables/fruit)

Orijen is the better of the two, as you can see above, but gives a lot of dogs diarrhea. So you may want to start out with Acana, get him regulated on that for a time and then if you feel you want the 80/20 benefit of the Orijen introduce it.

Wean your dog slowly on to all new foods/treats....take your time - 2 weeks or more. Gut upset is notorious when switching foods.

Good luck!
Moms :)

Momto2GSDs 06-02-2014 09:53 AM

BTW....type in your zip code here to see if there is a Pet Supply Plus or Doggie Boutique near you that carries it!
Store Locator | Acana
Where to Buy | Orijen
:)