German Shepherds Forum banner

K9 Immunity Plus and home-cooked diet

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
In an earlier thread, I posted that my 10-year-old male, Jaeger, was just diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma (abdominal) and lung mets. Right now, you wouldn't guess that there was anything wrong with him, other than some fatigue.
I'd like to begin giving Jaeger supplements and switch or enhance his diet with home-cooked foods. He's getting Acana Senior kibble currently, occasional raw marrow bones and canned tripe.
I'm looking for opinions on the K9 Immunity Plus supplement for dogs with cancer. It sounds like a good one to add to his diet.
I've started researching cancer diets but there is an overwhelming amount of information. I'd like to start Jaeger right away and the research could take days. Could anyone point me to a balanced diet that I could begin with, while continuing to research? I did see this diet, which seems good though I assume it would need additional supplements:

Recipe:
(1 week of raw meat patties for a 50 pound active dog)

4 lbs ground meats – beef and/or lamb and/or chicken and/or turkey
2 cups raw goat milk or 1 cup yogurt or cottage cheese
3 raw eggs
1 apple
1 clove garlic
2 carrots
1.5 pound mixed veggies (such as sweet potato, broccoli, zucchini, kale, spinach)

Mix in food processor and make into patties to freeze

Thank you!

See less See more
#4 ·
Omega 3's , Natural vitamin E - (tocotrienol portion) beta-carotene, gamma oryzanol . Plus high chlorophyll phytonutrients . Easy to digest , bio available , clean protein.

Your vegetable mix provides a lot of carbohydrates , which feed cancer .

Provide energy through fat , coconut oil is a good option.

Reishi mushroom are a source of beta glucans.

Proteolytic enzymes (bromelain , papain) another beneficial ingredient.

I'm so sorry your dog has this aggressive form of cancer.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks very much, Carmen. We're going to be starting on yunnan baiyao as well. For the various supplements you've mentioned, are these typically found through food or as a supplement?

I have coconut oil - how much would you suggest giving daily?

The more I read about home-cooked diets, the more confused I get. There are so many variations and I know that carbs and sugar content can be tricky. I'm wondering if just switching to raw would be the better alternative. Both my dogs have had raw bones and meat as a treat over the years and love them. Would it be risky to switch a dog with health issues to raw, or I wonder if it would give his system a boost? We're not doing HW pills this year, he doesn't need any additional vaccines and he's not on any medications so diet would be the only major change to his system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.