German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Royal Canin Adult Maxi Good or Bad food? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/454002-royal-canin-adult-maxi-good-bad-food.html)

Banshee5 05-25-2014 07:11 AM

Royal Canin Adult Maxi Good or Bad food?

Ive been feeding my fella who is just gone 3yrs Royal Canin Adult Maxi since he turned a year.I have tried various other brands like Red Mills and Hill Science Plan but he had no interest in them. He's not a massive eater by any means,just when he feels like it but he is healthy and very fit and active. However a lot of people on other forums I go on have said that RC is not good for the dog. He really likes it and I can get a good deal on it online also..
What is a suitable food for him,he does not get wet food at all… I gave him RC as it has glucosamine for large breed dogs in it..

Sunflowers 05-25-2014 08:18 AM

If you can get him on raw, that would be the best, at least in my experience.
Royal Canin Maxi Dog Food | Review and Rating

Doc 05-25-2014 09:41 AM

Why change if he is healthy? Options on dog food are like noses, everyone has one and everyone is an expert. If the current kibble is working, why mess up a good thing?
I've used RC Maxi breeding protocol as a component in my breeding program and my dogs and pups did very well on it

Sunflowers 05-25-2014 09:50 AM

The ingredient list is a fact, though. And dogs are not chickens. They shouldn't be eating corn.
This one is better than the corn based ones, however.

Jax08 05-25-2014 10:14 AM

What foods are available to you in Ireland?

kr16 05-25-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5562986)
What foods are available to you in Ireland?

They can get Acana and other good foods

Pet Supplies, Pet Food, and Pet Products on Sale Now at zooplus.ie

shepherdmom 05-25-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 5562914)
Why change if he is healthy? Options on dog food are like noses, everyone has one and everyone is an expert. If the current kibble is working, why mess up a good thing?
I've used RC Maxi breeding protocol as a component in my breeding program and my dogs and pups did very well on it

100% agree. If your dog likes the food and does well on it who cares what others think?

I tried out several different puppy foods on my puppy. He would get the itchies, or have diarrhea. He does well on Science Diet. Yeah I know its crap food but no itchies no diarrhea. It's what works. So that is what I feed him.

simba405 05-25-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5563042)
100% agree. If your dog likes the food and does well on it who cares what others think?

I tried out several different puppy foods on my puppy. He would get the itchies, or have diarrhea. He does well on Science Diet. Yeah I know its crap food but no itchies no diarrhea. It's what works. So that is what I feed him.

With your logic you should feed a 5 year old kid ice cream every day because he likes it and eats it all.

You should feed your dog the healthiest food you can afford. It's not about what people think. It's about doing right by your dog.

Apoolutz 05-25-2014 11:26 AM

Agree 100% with sunflowers and Simba

shepherdmom 05-25-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba405 (Post 5563122)
With your logic you should feed a 5 year old kid ice cream every day because he likes it and eats it all.

You should feed your dog the healthiest food you can afford. It's not about what people think. It's about doing right by your dog.

You missed the part about does well on it. The other foods make him sick. But whatever! You do what you want with your dog. I'll do what works for me with my dogs.