German Shepherds Forum banner

Royal Canin Adult Maxi Good or Bad food?

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Banshee5 
#1 ·
Ive been feeding my fella who is just gone 3yrs Royal Canin Adult Maxi since he turned a year.I have tried various other brands like Red Mills and Hill Science Plan but he had no interest in them. He's not a massive eater by any means,just when he feels like it but he is healthy and very fit and active. However a lot of people on other forums I go on have said that RC is not good for the dog. He really likes it and I can get a good deal on it online also..
What is a suitable food for him,he does not get wet food at all… I gave him RC as it has glucosamine for large breed dogs in it..

#3 ·
Why change if he is healthy? Options on dog food are like noses, everyone has one and everyone is an expert. If the current kibble is working, why mess up a good thing?
I've used RC Maxi breeding protocol as a component in my breeding program and my dogs and pups did very well on it

#7 ·
100% agree. If your dog likes the food and does well on it who cares what others think?

I tried out several different puppy foods on my puppy. He would get the itchies, or have diarrhea. He does well on Science Diet. Yeah I know its crap food but no itchies no diarrhea. It's what works. So that is what I feed him.

#11 ·
Eating junkfood from the very start doesn't cause that many issues as long as you are young but in the end the results show as you get older. I think it is the same with dogs. Most young dogs look good if they are fed regular meals. Surviving is different from thriving in their old age.

#12 ·
What you can't see is still occurring in the body.
You can get away with a lot until the cumulative effects catch up with everything that happened in a living thing's youth, and that goes for us as well as dogs.
I still wish I hadn't lived on coffee and cigarettes in my first year of college.
Did I look good? You bet I did.

#13 ·
What is a suitable food for him,he does not get wet food at all… I gave him RC as it has glucosamine for large breed dogs in it..
Hey everyone...remember the Original Poster and his question? :rolleyes:

OP - What is your budget and what foods are available to you?

Personally, I feed raw and am happy with the results. However, that is not for everyone and it seems many people in Ireland have a problem with resources for raw. I feed Bravo Balance to my puppy but will switch him to home made raw when he's done growing.

There are many good quality foods out there but we don't know what is available to you locally or what your budget is.

#15 ·
Before you jump on the No Corn band wagon, you need to understand what is being used from corn. Read the current research out of Cornell University about corn in dog food. I fed a dog Pedigree because she did well on it. Lived to be 13+ and died of old age.

#16 ·
My first dog Nakita got Alpo, Pedigree, Old Roy, Old Blue, Gaines burgers, and whatever else was on sale at the time. She lived to be 14.

In the 90's they started with the Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba phase... my dogs got those things. They all lived to be old dogs but not as old as Nakita my first dog

My latest dog to pass away was 2 months shy of 13 was Buddy. He got Science Diet from a puppy until well in his adulthood and they came out with better stuff.

#17 ·
I apologise for not replying but the notifications aren't coming to my email so I don't know when I have a reply.
I buy my food online from websites like Zooplus, Petshoponline(Irish based) and Equipet and a few other Irish ones. Red Mills is an Irish dog food of lots of different typed be it from working dog to small dog,Purizon I got free as samples. He has tried them all but comes back to his RC as he's just not a big eater.
I just thought I would try him on something different so he doesn't get fed up of his RC!!!
Also I appreciate the user who asked to get back on topic,no arguments.Im also a she not a he but no big:)gie!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.