German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Weight questions... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/453978-weight-questions.html)

loveformygermanshepherd 05-25-2014 01:33 AM

Weight questions...

I am trying to figure out if I need to do more to maxx's diet. I believe that he is underweight for his breed and age, he just turned 1 year on 5.5.14, and he was just weighted tonight and it shows that he only weighs 70 lbs.... When he was 5 months old he weighted 51 lbs. he gets 3 cups of iams dog food, 2 times daily, he gets milk bones daily and sometimes a table scrap here and there. He has been checked out from his vet and he has health issues that would cause this. Now, is this a normal weight at this age? He is my first Gsd and I'm not sure what to expect exactly. My vet recommended this recipe called 'satin balls' to put on weight and it has lots of calories and good vitamins in it for him as well, it can be his whole diet or just given as treats. Any suggestions would be appreciated :) thank you!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LaRen616 05-25-2014 08:43 AM

Can you please post some photos of him standing from the side so we can see his body?

Male GSDs should be around 60-88 pounds so it sounds like he is a good weight. He's young and not done growing yet, once he gets older, matures and fills out he'll probably gain 5-10 pounds.

Also, Iams is not a good brand of dog food, I personally would not feed it. You might want to look into a higher quality kibble like Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, Wellness, Orijen, etc.

Sunflowers 05-25-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5562842)
Can you please post some photos of him standing from the side so we can see his body?

Male GSDs should be around 60-88 pounds so it sounds like he is a good weight. He's young and not done growing yet, once he gets older, matures and fills out he'll probably gain 5-10 pounds.

Also, Iams is not a good brand of dog food, I personally would not feed it. You might want to look into a higher quality kibble like Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, Wellness, Orijen, etc.

This.
Also, I'm dismayed that a vet would recommend satin balls for a large breed puppy who is still growing. German Shepherds need to be lean. All kinds of joint problems develop if they're fat. I guess vets see so many obese dogs that they forget what a fit one is supposed to look like.

By the way, my Hans is over two years old and has never been above 67 lbs.

Ps-- Wait… Is he eating 3 cups split into two portions, or 3 cups twice a day, equaling 6 cups?

Cassidy's Mom 05-25-2014 02:12 PM

Underweight isn't really about how much your dog weighs. Rather than worrying about numbers on a scale you should be paying attention to your dog's condition. When viewed from the side, does he have a nice tuck up at the abdomen? When viewed from above, is there a discernible "waist"? When you run your hand down his side can you easily feel all his ribs, and maybe see the last one or two (depending on his coat)? If so, his weight is perfect. :) Both of my dogs fit that criteria but Halo is 55/56 pounds and Keefer is around 80 pounds, so obviously their actual weight doesn't mean that much in terms of their ideal weight.

loveformygermanshepherd 05-26-2014 09:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 212346
This is from his side Attachment 212354
This is the top view of his backside

I will look into a better brand of dog food once again. I have tried multiple brands of food (ranging from iams, to blue, to puriana) he is a VERY picky eater. Sometimes he only eats 3 cups a day and sometimes he will eat 5 cups in one day. It changes from day to day with maxx lol. His coat is very shiny, he has great gums and is very active :) so it sounds like he's good just the way he is? Thank you all for your replies!!

Sunflowers 05-26-2014 09:54 PM

He looks wonderful. He is still a puppy. He will fill out until the age of 3, but for now, he is lean, fit, handsome, and just the way he should be.

LaRen616 05-27-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5567778)
He looks wonderful. He is still a puppy. He will fill out until the age of 3, but for now, he is lean, fit, handsome, and just the way he should be.

I 100% agree!

He looks PERFECT. I would not add anymore weight to him.

You want your GSD to be nice and lean, it's easier on his joints.

Liesje 05-27-2014 08:53 AM

He's not undersize or underweight and he is really still a puppy as far as physical development. My adult male is 71lbs right now at 5 years old. He is considered "medium" size, completely normal within the standard and is KKL, "V" rated, and a UKC Champion. I also own a puppy (this male's son) who is 7 months and 41lbs but was called "upper medium" size when I showed him, not considered too small or too thin. Depending on lines, they mature and fill out slowly so I would not feed him more or add weight at this age unless there is a medical reason.

loveformygermanshepherd 05-27-2014 02:56 PM

Perfect :) you guys all answered all my questions, thank you!! I will look into better quality food but continue doing what I'm doing and not do the satin balls, lol

LaRen616 05-27-2014 03:12 PM

P.S. his eyes are gorgeous!