German Shepherds Forum banner

Fromm Dog Food?

15K views 67 replies 27 participants last post by  LaRen616 
#1 ·
Lately I have been seeing a lot of people recommend Fromm.

So can you please tell me more about Fromm? Is it cheap? Do you consider it one of the best kibbles out there? Are there any recalls? Please share your experience. :)

#2 ·
http://frommfamily.com/ is their website and their history is listed if you want to learn more

It's a 5th generation family owned company started in 1904 which has never in their history had a recall. It's manufactured in the USA and uses only ingredients sourced from the USA for all their foods and treats, it's a great relief to never have to worry about China contaminations or recalls. I’ve emailed them multiple questions and each one is answered personally and their answers are quick and informative, I like the fact they are so open with information and don’t act shady like they have secrets to hide. Coupons are offered often and they have a frequent buyers program which is always appreciated

My dogs love it, I love the variety of ingredients and the fact their four star line is interchangeable so I swap every bag without needing a 1-2 week acclimation period. I also like that they're always improving and have added two new flavours to their grain free line in the last two years. The new Lamb & Lentil has my dogs drooling; they really love this new flavour

My poodle is an extremely picky eater; she's gone 4 days without eating in protest previous to me switching to Fromm. She's been on it for 2 years now and I've seen her refuse one feeding in that entire time and I knew she wasn't feeling well. That to me is a huge improvement and shows that she really does love that food. They are in great health and my vet is always impressed with their coats and overall health

I'm paying $90.99 to $93.99 for a 26 lb. bag which lasts one month so no I don't consider it cheap lol

In the end it works for my dogs and I like the company, it’s a win/win situation all around

#3 ·
IMHO, Fromm is a very good kibble. Family-run business, one of the oldest dog food companies around, using high-quality ingredients. We have fed Fromm for many, many years, currently feeding our older gang (GSD's & wire-hair dachshunds)Fromm Gold Senior- they all love it, NO PROBLEMS. Great coats, no scratching, no kibble left in bowls. NO RECALLS with Fromm- not many can say that- highly recommended- of course, everyone here has their own opinion on foods, and for that matter, Fromm- you could say it's a HOT topic- just stating what works WELL for us- Bob

#4 ·
I'm using the Fromm Gold Adult for Varik. I'm not ready to put him on grain free yet. Here, I get a 33 lb bag for 49.99. I think that's actually a really good price, cheaper than some of the other (non-Diamond mfg) brands and a bigger bag. Most of the other higher end kibbles are in 28 lb bags.

Previously, I used their Gold LBP and he liked that as well.

#5 ·
I used it with Beau. In my search for the perfect stool I kind of veered away from the duck fat which seems to be problematic for him but other formulas are fine. Great company. Very responsive, willing to send you analysis. They mention they use a HACCP program which is a BIG plus and should be embraced by all dog food manufacturers.

One reason I gave up on Diamond was their rattling on about their QC tests. Anyone in Quality Assurance knows you cannot test quality into a product (QC) but you build it into the process (HACCP or FMEA) in part, by monitoring critical control points of failure modes BEFORE the finished product. I saw some HACCP slides on the Fromm manufacturing process and was very impressed.

#7 ·
Lately I have been seeing a lot of people recommend Fromm.

So can you please tell me more about Fromm? Is it cheap? Do you consider it one of the best kibbles out there? Are there any recalls? Please share your experience. :)
I asked about Fromm a week or so ago...there are alot of people here who like it. I found some very negative comments, about 100 somewhere else. But my own experience so far is very good. My puppy eats it up (he is a pig and pretty much would eat anything). It is much cheaper than most of the high end foods. I got a 33 pound bag for $52 at the local feed store.

I had bought Orijen LBP which he didn't not do well on for $77 a bag (26 or 28 pounds).

#8 ·
I have used fromm, depending which line it can be on the more expensive side. Lauren, since you are in the same area as me....I feed Nutri Life Grain Free Gold, which is made at the Fromm plant in WI. That's what I currently feed and buy a 40lb bag for around 60 bucks. My dogs both do great on it and it's pretty similar to one of the Fromm lines. Just a thought! They carry it at many specialty dog stores around here :)

#9 ·
I have used fromm, depending which line it can be on the more expensive side. Lauren, since you are in the same area as me....I feed Nutri Life Grain Free Gold, which is made at the Fromm plant in WI. That's what I currently feed and buy a 40lb bag for around 60 bucks. My dogs both do great on it and it's pretty similar to one of the Fromm lines. Just a thought! They carry it at many specialty dog stores around here :)
Thanks! I will have to check that out, I don't think I have ever heard of that company before but $60 for a 40 pounds bag sounds amazing! :)

#12 ·
I have 3, 2 seniors and one youngster, all three have different digestive systems, all 3 do very well on the Fromm grain free

#13 · (Edited)
I used it for a while and I used it because of the history of the company in general. I stopped using it when 2 of my dogs got sick. The first one ended up at the vet and had to stay over night. It was something with the pancreas per the blood work,but never diagnosed. They also seen some kind of inflammation. It started with him vomitting undigested food and icky poop. Then the second dog started showing the same symptoms and that dog never gets sick. It started when I added the weight management food to the diet. They were doing okay with the Whitefish formula. I switched foods immediately, which could have been a disaster but none of the dogs had any problems with the switch. I threw the Fromm out. I still believe its a good company, but I also believe it was something with the food. I don't trust it anymore, so I can't feed it to them. I now feed Infinia, which you can only get at feed stores, but it has no chicken in it at all and I was looking for that(it is grain free) and has a good rating on dog food advisor.

#14 ·
All three of my GSDs have been on Fromms for awhile. I change up the flavors all the time, and even my picky girl Sage eats her food every time. I'm having good results with it.

#15 ·
Fed both my pups Large Breed Puppy....they both loved it. Switched to Large Breed Adult, both loved that as well. Wanted to try something else to save $$ and went with 4Health Large Breed Adult......both food dishes are untouched recently....neither dog will touch the stuff. Guess thats what I get for trying to save a little $$.

Will be switching back to Fromm today.

#16 ·
I'm switching to Fromm right now from Blue Buffalo and he LOVES it! It's not too pricey. You get what you pay for, that's what I always say. It's actually cheaper than Blue Buffalo. I ordered it off of Chewy. And they have had no recalls ever :)

#19 ·
The whole 4-Star line is designed to be a rotational diet -- meaning you switch from flavor to flavor without the need to transition, allowing you to get a variety of different nutrient sources to your dog, which is a very good thing.

The only one I've had any issues with was Pork and Applesauce, which gives one of mine a loose stool. The others dogs in my home were fine with it, but I avoid it because of the one dog. The rest of the flavors we rotate through regularly with no issues.

Ask your retailer for Fromm's Buy-12-Get-1-Free program envelope, if they participate--save your UPC labels, and when you have 12, return them in the envelope for a free bag!

#18 ·
I am feeding Fromm's right now after a recommendation from this list. I do have a question, though. I am feeding Fromm's Gold, Large Breed Adult. I was surprised when I opened the bag, because it looks EXACTLY like a food I used to feed, Wysong, from a company here in Michigan--the same exact size and shape of kibble, same color. I am now wondering whether perhaps Fromm manufactures Wysong's formulas for them--does anyone know? I liked Wysong, but even though I live about 30 minutes away from the company, there is only one store in my city who carries it. There were only 2 customers buying large amounts of it, myself and another person. Both of us would buy up as much as possible when they had it, because the store didn't always have it and it would take nearly a week for them to get it in. Sometimes I lost out, sometimes the other customer did... I wanted something that I knew I could get whenever I needed it.

Another question--the first bag of Fromm's was vacuum sealed, which I really liked. The second time I bought it, the only vacuum sealed bag was one bag of puppy formula. Should they all be vacuum sealed?

Thanks!
Susan

#21 ·
I started mine on LBP and he is doing great on it.

About the vacuum pack question you had, I just ran into the same thing. The first bag I bought was like a brick, no air at all. The second one had some air in it. I called Fromm and they said they have a one way valve on the bag (I confirmed) which lets air out, but doesn't let air in. So the bag I got must have been on top of the pallet which didn't blow out all the air. I was able to compress the bag, get all the air out, and watched it to see if any air got back in. It didn't. BUT, my store said to just bring it back if I was unsure. Which I did. They also said some of the bags from Fromm are like a brick, others have some air in them....but no one has ever had issues with the food being rancid or anything.

#22 ·
When Reba was alive, she and my elderly Pekingese both ate the Fromm Classic (I got the 33# bag for #32.99). Now that Reba is gone, my Peke eats the Fromm Adult Gold (since the Classic doesn't come in a small bag, and it would take him over half a year to eat 33# of food). He is a picky dog, and also older, but he's been on Fromm for two years now and does well on it, eats it the minute it hits the bowl.

Discoe is raw fed, but I still like to keep kibble on hand for when we run out, or if I forget to thaw, and she eats the Grain-Free varieties (we switch it up), and she does as well on it as she does on the raw. I work at a pet supply store and recommend it to all our customers (have even had a lot of success switching people from Beneful and Dog Chow over to the Fromm Classic).

#23 ·
I like the company, their ethics, and lack of recalls. And it seems many dogs do well on their food. I do question some ingredients (the inclusion of dairy products in their line, the use of alfalfa, and as with all dog foods their is no way of knowing how much protein is from the meat and how much is from the peas and potatoes). Also does anyone know the ash content of this food?

It's a bit overpriced for my taste.

But if your dog does well on the food, I see no issues with it!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#25 ·
I've fed Fromm for about 6 years. At the time I had a picky 7 year old bitch, she didn't like anything but I brought home samples of duck and sweetpotato, she ate it! She liked it. Hadn't liked anything ever but EVO red meat and that was too rich for her. Even better than her liking it, her fur became softer. She was sable and literally coarse coated. Prior to eating the duck and sweet potato, only her head was soft to touch.

My male was a pup when we switched, he'll eat anything but the 4 star is too rich for him so he gets adult gold.

Venus came to me eating purina one. She got a sniff of Otto's Fromm dinner, went on hunger strike. I switched her to Fromm puppy immediately, she gobbled it right up.

HA, even my 10 year old son likes it. When he's too lazy to come up from his computer cave for a snack, he'll grab a handful of dog food. Yeah it's disturbing and I probably didn't need to mention it...

#26 ·
Yes, Fromm's Buy 12 (or is it 11?) Get 1 Free is a nice program! I think I'm due for a free bag soon. Mine have been going back and forth between the Chicken A La Veg and the Duck & Sweet Potato. Might try the Salmon A La Veg this time around.

#27 ·
Why the skepticism in the use of alfalfa? It reportedly has many health benefits and is a natural host of many helpful vitamins. I know the seeds can be harmful, but as long as they're not being used and the alfalfa is not exorbitantly high in the ingredient list, I wouldn't think there to be much of a problem with it being in there. I'd personally rather see the alfalfa than a laundry list three lines long of sugary, starchy fruits and vegetables.

This is the reason I also like Zignature as a dog food. Grain-free, potato-free. Lower in the starch that tends to feed recurring yeast infections...one of the most limited-ingredient grain-free foods I've seen, just behind California Natural which I think is a bit more LID. But that's another story for another day on another thread... :)

#28 ·
Forms of chlorophyll are barley grass or alfalfa..
Here are some other major benefits of chlorophyll for dogs:

Protects against cancer (this is a biggy)
Regenerates red blood cells
Provides energy for your dog
Cleans and detoxifies the bloodstream and eliminates free radicals
Cleans the digestive tract
Heals wounds
Fights infection and disease
Helps with colon health and stool problems
Cuts out grazing and grass eating
Helps with oral health and gum disease
Every organ in the body benefits from it

#33 ·
I have two dogs, one with unknown food allergies and the other with a very sensitive stomach who had many gastro issues in the past. Both do great on Fromm. It took trying many brands to find one that worked and I'm so grateful that my boy with a sensitive tummy handled the transition to Fromm because it's easier to have them on the same food.

I initially tried Fromm because my girl was on a Diamond product and when her food was recalled I decided to try a new food and I selected Fromm Gold because the ingredient list was similar to her old food. Since her allergy is unknown that was very important and she is not allergic to the Fromm. My boy kept stealing her food so after a year of him stealing her food I finally just switched him to Fromm too. I figured if he was eating hers every day and was fine then transitioning him over should be easy and it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.