Fromm Dog Food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Fromm Dog Food?

Lately I have been seeing a lot of people recommend Fromm.

So can you please tell me more about Fromm? Is it cheap? Do you consider it one of the best kibbles out there? Are there any recalls? Please share your experience.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

http://frommfamily.com/ is their website and their history is listed if you want to learn more

It's a 5th generation family owned company started in 1904 which has never in their history had a recall. It's manufactured in the USA and uses only ingredients sourced from the USA for all their foods and treats, it's a great relief to never have to worry about China contaminations or recalls. I’ve emailed them multiple questions and each one is answered personally and their answers are quick and informative, I like the fact they are so open with information and don’t act shady like they have secrets to hide. Coupons are offered often and they have a frequent buyers program which is always appreciated

My dogs love it, I love the variety of ingredients and the fact their four star line is interchangeable so I swap every bag without needing a 1-2 week acclimation period. I also like that they're always improving and have added two new flavours to their grain free line in the last two years. The new Lamb & Lentil has my dogs drooling; they really love this new flavour

My poodle is an extremely picky eater; she's gone 4 days without eating in protest previous to me switching to Fromm. She's been on it for 2 years now and I've seen her refuse one feeding in that entire time and I knew she wasn't feeling well. That to me is a huge improvement and shows that she really does love that food. They are in great health and my vet is always impressed with their coats and overall health

I'm paying $90.99 to $93.99 for a 26 lb. bag which lasts one month so no I don't consider it cheap lol

In the end it works for my dogs and I like the company, it’s a win/win situation all around

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

IMHO, Fromm is a very good kibble. Family-run business, one of the oldest dog food companies around, using high-quality ingredients. We have fed Fromm for many, many years, currently feeding our older gang (GSD's & wire-hair dachshunds)Fromm Gold Senior- they all love it, NO PROBLEMS. Great coats, no scratching, no kibble left in bowls. NO RECALLS with Fromm- not many can say that- highly recommended- of course, everyone here has their own opinion on foods, and for that matter, Fromm- you could say it's a HOT topic- just stating what works WELL for us- Bob
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm using the Fromm Gold Adult for Varik. I'm not ready to put him on grain free yet. Here, I get a 33 lb bag for 49.99. I think that's actually a really good price, cheaper than some of the other (non-Diamond mfg) brands and a bigger bag. Most of the other higher end kibbles are in 28 lb bags.

Previously, I used their Gold LBP and he liked that as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I used it with Beau. In my search for the perfect stool I kind of veered away from the duck fat which seems to be problematic for him but other formulas are fine. Great company. Very responsive, willing to send you analysis. They mention they use a HACCP program which is a BIG plus and should be embraced by all dog food manufacturers.

One reason I gave up on Diamond was their rattling on about their QC tests. Anyone in Quality Assurance knows you cannot test quality into a product (QC) but you build it into the process (HACCP or FMEA) in part, by monitoring critical control points of failure modes BEFORE the finished product. I saw some HACCP slides on the Fromm manufacturing process and was very impressed.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should be able to get it very cheap in your area...its made like 20 minutes north of Milwaukee. I pay anywhere from 50-60 for their grain free options and the Golds were all in the low 40s depending on where you go.

Pet supplies plus has a good selection.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Lately I have been seeing a lot of people recommend Fromm.

So can you please tell me more about Fromm? Is it cheap? Do you consider it one of the best kibbles out there? Are there any recalls? Please share your experience.
I asked about Fromm a week or so ago...there are alot of people here who like it. I found some very negative comments, about 100 somewhere else. But my own experience so far is very good. My puppy eats it up (he is a pig and pretty much would eat anything). It is much cheaper than most of the high end foods. I got a 33 pound bag for $52 at the local feed store.

I had bought Orijen LBP which he didn't not do well on for $77 a bag (26 or 28 pounds).
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have used fromm, depending which line it can be on the more expensive side. Lauren, since you are in the same area as me....I feed Nutri Life Grain Free Gold, which is made at the Fromm plant in WI. That's what I currently feed and buy a 40lb bag for around 60 bucks. My dogs both do great on it and it's pretty similar to one of the Fromm lines. Just a thought! They carry it at many specialty dog stores around here
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
I have used fromm, depending which line it can be on the more expensive side. Lauren, since you are in the same area as me....I feed Nutri Life Grain Free Gold, which is made at the Fromm plant in WI. That's what I currently feed and buy a 40lb bag for around 60 bucks. My dogs both do great on it and it's pretty similar to one of the Fromm lines. Just a thought! They carry it at many specialty dog stores around here
Thanks! I will have to check that out, I don't think I have ever heard of that company before but $60 for a 40 pounds bag sounds amazing!

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Mine hates it lol
Madisonmj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.