Vomiting Bile? # of meals per day? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vomiting Bile? # of meals per day?

My poodle had a hacking and vomiting episode today. I have a vet appointment scheduled early tomorrow morning. I've noticed this happening once every 2-3 months. This also happenes to my German Shepherd every now and then as well. It never happened frequently enough for me to worry a lot. I always attributed it to them eating something they shouldn't have. But today I've come to the realization that this might be caused by an empty stomach.

Both dogs eat at 7 am and 6pm; 2 meals per day. I keep very close to the schedule, varying by no more than +/- 5 minutes. Do you think that this could be the cause of them vomiting bile? How many meals do you feed your dogs and at what times?

Hopefully the vet will be able to give me some solid answers tomorrow.
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-

Last edited by CharlieB.Barkin; 05-07-2014 at 10:15 PM.
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine will vomit bile occasionally and I believe it is due to an empty stomach as it would happen right before meal time. I feed 2x per day, at 6 am and 5 to 6 pm, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups each. I added in the extra 1/2 cup to eliminate the vomiting and it seems to work, and there is no throwing up after.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Ditto is fed two meals a day, 12 hours apart. She also gets treats and people food. My other dogs are free fed. Ditto does sometimes vomit bile *no hacking* but I think it has more to do with her sensitive german shepherd stomach.

When my poodle was a puppy he would vomit bile in the middle of the night/morning if I didn't give him a milk bone (medium sized) at bed time.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My smaller dogs get one meal a day. The GSD gets two meals a day. All of them eat around 6:00am - 6:30am during the week. On the weeksends it's when I wake up. At the latest 8:00am. Then the GSD gets another meal between 5:30pm and 7:00pm. He gets 2 cups per meal.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

My small breed would also vomit bile, during the night which was not cool since he sleeps in my bed. It took a while to figure it out but I noticed it was when his stomach was empty. Problem solved with a little food or something before bed. My GSD has never done this
Taz's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both of my dogs will vomit if they go too long between meals.

They are fed at 5am and 5pm every day, they each get 4 cups of kibble a day even though they should be getting around 3-3.5 cups, they are not overweight but my GSD is over the standard height wise and my Dalmatian is extremely active.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have been dealing with this since day one, and when Hans was older I tried to reduce his meals to two a day. Didn't work. What I am doing now is 8 ounces of raw at six or 7 AM, 8 ounces between 12 and 3 PM, and 2 pounds of raw around 9 PM.
Someone told me that I shouldn't feed him at exact hours, because that's what triggers gastric juice release at those hours and if you don't feed right away, they get nauseous from all that acid and have to vomit it.

So, I try to vary the times by one or two hours.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I still feed my year old pup three times a day. The only meal that is at a regular time is breakfast as I do that before going to work. His other meals do vary by a couple of hours. He's only thrown up bile once and I started making sure his evening meal was a bit more if he's fed earlier than usual or was particularly active that evening.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

So 3 x-rays were taken and the vet determined that there was a some fluid in her left lung as well as some covering part of her heart. Because it's only effecting one lung, she thinks that it's unlikely to be pneumonia. She suspects that she might have aspirated while lying down or that there might be an infection. She also has slight tracheal collapse, exacerbated by the fact that she is overweight.

2 seperate blood labs were conducted. One for heart worm and white blood cell count. The second for heart enzyme. She is currently taking antibiotics twice a day as we await the results (estimated 2 days). The full x-ray readings should be in tomorrow.

It it's a respiratory problem she'll continue the antibiotics for 2 weeks and go in for a follow up x-ray. If it's a heart problem (unlikely) then she'll have to take meds permanently.

She is now on a 220cal/day diet. That will be difficult to measure out since it's such a small amount of food. I wish they went by mass and not volume :/ Digital scale > measuring cup

I also set up an check up exam for Charlie since he hasn't been to the vet for a long time. His vaccines are due this October (My birthday present to myself :P). All in all I managed to rack up a pretty nice bill XD. Anything for my puppies!
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

That's a tiny amount of food. Probably 1/2 cup a day of my pup's food. Seems quite drastic!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.