German Shepherds Forum banner

Human or Dog fish oil

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Pretzels 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering how many people that give their dogs fish oil, how many use a fish oil made for people. Currently I am giving Nordic Naturals made for dogs but I just changed my fish oil that I take and was thinking about giving it to the dogs instead of the NN.

#2 ·
I don't think it matters whether it is made for a dog or a human. Just remember to look at the EPA and DHA levels in it. Sometimes, they are so low that you'd have to feed 10+ pills a day for a GSD.

Here is the dosage for EPA and DHA:

The Benefits of Fish Oil to Your Dog's Health - Whole Dog Journal Article

I use Iceland Pure Sardine and Anchovy because of the high levels of DHA and EPA for the cost.

#4 ·
#5 ·
This one is 750 EPA and 250 DHA for 1 pill and it is molecurlarly distilled. It has the IFOS 5 star rating. I figured if it was this good for me, then maybe it would be good for them too and it would save me a lot of money. Amazon.com: Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Gold (1,060 mg Omega-3s per softgel), 1250 mg, 180 softgels: Health & Personal Care
That looks great, especially for the price! I think that the EPA is more important as an anti-inflammatory than the DHA, iirc, so that's a good level.

#10 ·
Nordic Naturals is the gold standard of fish oils. The only difference between the human product and the pet product is the flavor. I think the pet has rosemary and I have the human stuff at home. This was told to me by me vet and my daughter who met a Nordic Naturals rep at a fair for earth day.

We give our dog the liquid for large breeds just because she does not like the capsule, she loves the actual fish oil though.

This company is based in our county and many of the veterinarians either recommend or sell their products.

#13 ·
I started giving human ones… then realized that I needed to give 10 pills a day to get a decent level of DHA and EPA…. so I just went with the popular Grizzly Salmon Oil. Don't like how they give the DHA and EPA in percentages rather than mg… So I don't really know how much he is actually getting. Also just realized that they don't specifically say that they test for toxins or anything!! Will need to look into that more now!

But I have seen great results in my dog's skin and coat and its very budget friendly! What do people think about the Grizzly Salmon Oil vs human in terms of quality?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.