German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Human or Dog fish oil (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/443802-human-dog-fish-oil.html)

kbella999 04-28-2014 02:20 PM

Human or Dog fish oil

I'm just wondering how many people that give their dogs fish oil, how many use a fish oil made for people. Currently I am giving Nordic Naturals made for dogs but I just changed my fish oil that I take and was thinking about giving it to the dogs instead of the NN.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 04-28-2014 02:50 PM

I don't think it matters whether it is made for a dog or a human. Just remember to look at the EPA and DHA levels in it. Sometimes, they are so low that you'd have to feed 10+ pills a day for a GSD.

Here is the dosage for EPA and DHA:

The Benefits of Fish Oil to Your Dog's Health - Whole Dog Journal Article

I use Iceland Pure Sardine and Anchovy because of the high levels of DHA and EPA for the cost.

Momto2GSDs 04-28-2014 02:54 PM

A lot of pet products are poor quality, so I use Human Grade products.
Make sure it says that it is tested for lead, pcb's and dioxins.;)
Moms:)

kbella999 04-28-2014 03:08 PM

This one is 750 EPA and 250 DHA for 1 pill and it is molecurlarly distilled. It has the IFOS 5 star rating. I figured if it was this good for me, then maybe it would be good for them too and it would save me a lot of money.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 04-28-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbella999 (Post 5442378)
This one is 750 EPA and 250 DHA for 1 pill and it is molecurlarly distilled. It has the IFOS 5 star rating. I figured if it was this good for me, then maybe it would be good for them too and it would save me a lot of money. Amazon.com: Nutrigold Triple Strength Omega-3 Gold (1,060 mg Omega-3s per softgel), 1250 mg, 180 softgels: Health & Personal Care

That looks great, especially for the price! I think that the EPA is more important as an anti-inflammatory than the DHA, iirc, so that's a good level.

kbella999 04-28-2014 03:33 PM

Thanks. That is good to know. We need all the anti-inflammatory that we can get :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5442434)
That looks great, especially for the price! I think that the EPA is more important as an anti-inflammatory than the DHA, iirc, so that's a good level.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 04-28-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbella999 (Post 5442474)
Thanks. That is good to know. We need all the anti-inflammatory that we can get :)

Is this for your dog with HD? If so, that WDJ article I linked says you can feed up to 300 mg of DHA/10 lbs. So think about giving him 2-3 pills/day.

kbella999 04-28-2014 03:41 PM

It is for both of them but she really needs it the most. I will give her 2 pills a day and see how she tolerates that. Can you give them to much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5442498)
Is this for your dog with HD? If so, that WDJ article I linked says you can feed up to 300 mg of DHA/10 lbs. So think about giving him 2-3 pills/day.

Chip18 04-28-2014 03:59 PM

The one think I do know is that you need to supplement human fish oil with vitamin E for dogs. Dog prescribed Fish oil has vitamin E in it.

Gretchen 04-28-2014 04:43 PM

Nordic Naturals is the gold standard of fish oils. The only difference between the human product and the pet product is the flavor. I think the pet has rosemary and I have the human stuff at home. This was told to me by me vet and my daughter who met a Nordic Naturals rep at a fair for earth day.

We give our dog the liquid for large breeds just because she does not like the capsule, she loves the actual fish oil though.

This company is based in our county and many of the veterinarians either recommend or sell their products.