German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Royal Canin german shepherd? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/443193-royal-canin-german-shepherd.html)

CleoPatrick 04-26-2014 01:24 PM

Royal Canin german shepherd?

I was thinking of switching my GSD to royal canin german shepherd, dose anyone here have any thoughts on it. Is it a good idea to switch? My GSD is on Blue wilderness right now. She is doing good with it from what I know. She has digestive enzyme and brewers yeast with it.
Here are the ingredients

Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, brown rice, oat groats, chicken fat, pork meal, natural flavors, powdered cellulose, wheat gluten, dried plain beet pulp, fish oil, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, coconut oil, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-tyrosine, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, hydrolyzed yeast, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), monocalcium phosphate, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], tea, chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Pax8 04-26-2014 01:38 PM

I'm not personally a fan of either one. You would be taking a step down if you go from Blue to Canin. I hate seeing low quality ingredients (by-product of any kind) or needless fillers (wheat gluten, powdered cellulose) in my dog's food. I would also recommend sticking to foods that have actual meat as the first ingredient. If you do want to switch, some good brands to look into would be Fromms, Nature's Variety, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Orijen, Acana, or Go!

wolfy dog 04-26-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleoPatrick (Post 5435473)
I was thinking of switching my GSD to royal canin german shepherd, dose anyone here have any thoughts on it. Is it a good idea to switch? My GSD is on Blue wilderness right now. She is doing good with it from what I know. She has digestive enzyme and brewers yeast with it.
Here are the ingredients

Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, brown rice, oat groats, chicken fat, pork meal, natural flavors, powdered cellulose, wheat gluten, dried plain beet pulp, fish oil, vegetable oil, sodium silico aluminate, coconut oil, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-tyrosine, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, hydrolyzed yeast, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), monocalcium phosphate, trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], tea, chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Why would this food be good to any dog? It is just marketing.
If I can't pronounce the ingredients, I don't feed it :)

Doc 04-26-2014 06:46 PM

My dog likes the Maxi better than the German shepherd label.

Gretchen 04-26-2014 07:13 PM

Our dog had many GI problems, we tried many different dry foods, this brand actually worked well for us, plus my dog liked the taste and we would use the kibble for treats when we did training.

Due to health problems, we found our dog does best on raw type foods, she just can't handle too much kibble in general.

I believe it is high in glucosamine, which was a plus. I didn't need extra supplements.

rickaz80 04-26-2014 07:57 PM

My dog had skin problems with the royal canin. Now all my dogs eat the blue b. simple turkey and potato.

Arlene/Archer 04-27-2014 03:46 AM

I wouldn't be a big fan of RC GSD at all. Archer was on it as tiny pup, but after a bout of demodectic mange I switched him from commercial foods to raw feeding and it cleared up in no time at all. Also, he was slightly stomach sensitive on RC, and now has a cast iron constitution. Of course this is all anecdotal, but honestly, I think RC is overpriced for what it is.

fredh 04-27-2014 07:53 AM

Another No Vote for Royal Canine!

Wild Wolf 04-27-2014 11:05 AM

Big no to Royal Canin - their "German Shepherd" formula is just marketing - nothing more.

Liesje 04-27-2014 11:38 AM

In some countries, this is the best food available, but in the USA no I would not feed it unless there's a reason (maybe a dog just does better on it than "better" foods).