German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Lakoda is a diarrhea factory... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/442713-lakoda-diarrhea-factory.html)

SaffronTea 04-25-2014 04:58 AM

Lakoda is a diarrhea factory...

My rescue, Lakoda, seems to have a very sensitive stomach...

Marrow bones, Raw Meaty Bones (with most of the meat cut off), eggs, all of this turns his stomach sour.

He's currently eating Merrick Grain Free and has no problems on it, though I do want to transition him to a rotation diet, and give him more meat on the bones he gets.

He was in a rescue that was feeding him whatever they got in, but not sure how he handled it at he was in a kennel most of the time.

We're giving him 1 yogurt a day, but I am considering adding in some sauerkraut, daily, to help him, and was wondering what advice you might have? Also, I'm now freezing the bones I give him for 3 days, but I am wondering if that's actually beneficial?

jocoyn 04-25-2014 05:54 AM

I think marrow bones pretty much gives any dog the runs. It is the marrow.

Not sure on the sauerkraut and wonder about ensuring you get some with active bacterial cultures. Kefir can be good But neither has E faecium which is apparently one of the best for dogs.

Doc 04-25-2014 06:51 AM

Try feeding chicken backs as your raw source. Sounds like you may need to reset his system. I would stick with the kibble and add the chicken backs and cut out the other things until his system is stable. Feed the chicken backs in the morning then the kibble at night. Make sure you are not over feeding.
After a week or two of solid stools, slowly introduce additional food in small amounts one at a time in weekly intervals.

SaffronTea 04-27-2014 12:42 AM

Thank you very much for the suggestions! He had trouble again today, with nothing but kibble and a yogurt in his system... usually has no trouble. Concerned I should take him to a vet about it.

Jocoyn, do you have any suggestions for a good pro-biotic?

Doc, is it alright to give him the chicken backs while he's already having such a sensitivity? He's never eaten raw before, besides the egg and the occashional rob and marrow bones.

my boy diesel 04-27-2014 01:06 AM

try petivia
works for my dogs
and has saccharomyces in it which is very good for dogs

robk 04-27-2014 06:55 AM

If he were my dog, the first thing I would do is take a trip to the vet and have him checked out. Then I would drop all kibble and go straight to Raw. Do your own research and make sure it is balanced. I think chicken quarters are a good place to start. He will detox for about a week. This will mean more diarrhea. But once he cleans out his system, he his stools should firm up as long as there is not another underlying medical issue going on.

onyx'girl 04-27-2014 08:09 AM

I'd also have a vet check, EPI may be causing his issues. And yes, if you do start raw, make sure you are feeding a good balance of meat,bone, organ. I'd get some green tripe and supplement with it when you start the raw diet. It contains natural digestive enzymes and probiotics.

jocoyn 04-27-2014 09:34 AM

The vet gave us proviable. I had not heard of it before. It seems to have 5 star reviews everywhere I look, as to other products from that company (Nutramax) and did firm things up for us. He still gets loose stools during exercise though. First are good and firm then he just empties out as we continue to work.

Sunflowers 04-27-2014 09:50 AM

Get rid of the yogurt. Many dogs can't digest dairy.

jocoyn 04-27-2014 10:10 AM

Are you giving any enzymes? I am going to ask for Beau about EPI after looking at some of the threads as he tends to loose stools (not diarreah). Prozyme really helps us and when I upped him to the senior dose, his stool had no odor.