German Shepherds Forum banner

Your favourite dog food?

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  anitram 
#1 · (Edited)
I've done a lot of research on dog foods and every so often I'll change their food to try different things. Which dog food did you have the best experience with?

Over the past 3 years, my dogs have been on:
Royal Canin (1 week) (New dog was eating it previously. We weaned him off it pretty fast.
Hill's (4 months)
Science Diet (4 months)
Orijen (2 years months)
Performatrin (1 month)
Performatrin Ultra Grain Free (2 month)

In that order. Time lengths are just estimated.

I've seen these brands that I'm curious about:
Merrick Classic/Grain Free
GO1 Fit and Free
Taste of the Wild
EVO
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Canidae Grain Free Pure
Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural
Holistic Blend Grain Free
Nature's Variety Instinct/Raw Boost
Nutram Grain Free
Nutrience Grain Free
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon/Sun Dancer
Wellness Core

Sorry about the extensive list. Those seems to be the best brands that I can find in my area. Has anyone had any experience with any of these brands? Could you make any recommendations on which food I should choose next?

This is while I look more into feeding raw. I don't know if feeding raw will be something I would be able to manage, so for the meantime I'm going to try another kibble.

See less See more
#6 ·
Mine usually eats Orijen and Acana and does very well on it. We're switching to Go! next month because it will be easier on the wallet though.

Merrick and Nature's Variety seem to be very popular in the GSD community. I feel like I've seen a lot of sick dogs on Blue, including my own, so I don't think I'd recommend that one.

If you're looking at raw and you're worried about making sure the diet has all the nutrients needed, you could look into Honest Kitchen. They make excellent bases for a raw diet so you know your dog is getting all their essentials.

#8 ·
Taz had a lot of runny stools, could not figure it out. We spent lots of money at the vet on test, everything was good. I finally thought it has to be the food, tried several brands with no change, bought TOTW ( after a friend suggested it as his dog had some stomach issues as well) within a couple days poop was normal. He has been eating ever since really scared to try anything else.

#10 ·
Of the ones on your list, I've tried Taste of the Wild and Wellness Core. I liked both of them. Wellness got a little tough on my budget, but recently I found it cheaper on Amazon with subscribe and save and Amazon mom. With those two discounts, I think it was approximately $42/bag compared to $60-65 in the local stores.
OUr local Tractor Supply just started getting Earthborn in, and they have it right now for $46-47/bag. I like the look of some of the formulas, but Primitive Natural is a little high in ash for my taste.
Right now mine are eating Dr Tim's and I'm very happy with that. I order it from Chewy.com, and the bag arrives on my front door. I usually order the 44 lb bag for $61.99 and free shipping. It's not grain free but my two do great on it.

#13 ·
I have used TOTW Bison since about 2010. My current dog is very sensitive to fowl and I am not convinced the oceans are safe for full-time consumption by man or beast. However, the bison is a little high in protein for my preference. I am going to give TOTW Bison puppy a try and see how that sits (I have it, haven't started it though). I order off Amazon, though our local feed store andone store in the nearby citty also carry it. This is the only food that keeps my boy from the squeakers and groaners of a tummy (along with probiotics).

#14 ·
I have tried Wellness, Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Taste of the Wild and Natural Balance.

The Wellness brands are hands down my favorites. My GSD is eating Wellness Core and my Dalmatian is eating Wellness Complete Health.

#17 ·
I've done a lot of research on dog foods and every so often I'll change their food to try different things. Which dog food did you have the best experience with?

Over the past 3 years, my dogs have been on:
Royal Canin (1 week) (New dog was eating it previously. We weaned him off it pretty fast.
Hill's (4 months)
Science Diet (4 months)
Orijen (2 years months)
Performatrin (1 month)
Performatrin Ultra Grain Free (2 month)

In that order. Time lengths are just estimated.

I've seen these brands that I'm curious about:
Merrick Classic/Grain Free
GO1 Fit and Free
Taste of the Wild
EVO
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Canidae Grain Free Pure
Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural
Holistic Blend Grain Free
Nature's Variety Instinct/Raw Boost
Nutram Grain Free
Nutrience Grain Free
Solid Gold Barking at the Moon/Sun Dancer
Wellness Core

Sorry about the extensive list. Those seems to be the best brands that I can find in my area. Has anyone had any experience with any of these brands? Could you make any recommendations on which food I should choose next?

This is while I look more into feeding raw. I don't know if feeding raw will be something I would be able to manage, so for the meantime I'm going to try another kibble.
I just started Cruz on Taste of The Wild a month ago. I have had him on BB and Hill's Science Diet before that. He has done excellent on the Taste of the Wild. He has no problems consuming and his stools are excellent. He's had no loose stools like he had with BB.

I'll stick with Taste of the Wild until there is a reason not to do so.

#18 ·
I've tried Royal Canin (puppy came eating it) - he actually did really well on it, but he did have a lot of enormous log poops. Eventually he refused to eat it and he was never really super thrilled to be eating it.

Tried GO! and he would not eat the kibble at all. It's a really small kibble and it appears really dry (some kibbles are more oily).

Tried Orijen LBP, he loved the taste of it but it gave him terrible runs almost immediately. And we were doing a really slow, controlled switch. The food is obv too rich for him.

Finally found Merrick Grain Free (Real Texas Beef + Sweet Potato) and he likes it well enough and poops are good so sticking with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.