Yin/Yang - Heating/Cooling foods Oriental diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default Yin/Yang - Heating/Cooling foods Oriental diet

Found stuff like this looking elsewhere and thought I would make a thread on it to see if anyone else had looked into this

Herbsmith Food Energetics Charts

hot and cooling foods for pets, yin and yan in dogs, traditional chinese medicine for pets, damp heat in dogs, treating phlegm symptoms in pets, using food to balance yin and yan, allergy remedy for dogs

Good Dog Food Company - Using Traditional Chinese Medicine to Find the Right Foods for Your Dog

Feeding Your Pet from the Perspective of Holistic Chinese Medicine | PetFoodDirect.com

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...od-energetics/

It is just intriguing. I started looking in the context of summer vs winter feeding as Beau does NOT have allergies but is hard to keep weight on and I want to do everything I can to maximize heat tolerance for work. He is more active than calm in general.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yep! Mikko is on a cool foods diet for anti inflammatory reasons. I am lucky enough to live near the Chi Institute and my vet was trained there so she has so much info. And Mikko is a demo dog there sometimes as well.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've found a couple of sites that may be interesting to someone. I have very little experience using alternative/complementary methodology beyond some supplemental herbs, tonics, and acupuncture.

Cancer diet for Dogs and Cats - Holistic Veterinary Center, Concord New Hampshire
Holistic Dog - How to naturally feed your dog without chemical or preservatives
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Wow, that Chi institute looks amazing.

Veterinary Food Therapy | Chi Institute of Chinese Medicine

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
It is! Take a look at the section where you can find a vet that is trained there...people from all over the world go there. You can probably find a vet near you.
If you go to their Facebook page, Mikko was the cover photo last month!

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Interesting. Beau just had his annual exam (I will post bloodwork when they send it to me in the no chem garlic thread as she said it was perfect) and my new vet at this practice started talking with me about warming vs cooling foods for the summer. She also said his body signs were of a hotter dog overall.

It came up because Beau is a bit loose on the new bag of duck and has tighter stools on lamb and venison but Duck is cooling. Not sure why on the looseness but he is is hard to keep firm stools (I would say normal stool for him is a 3 on the Purina Poop Chart) ZERO signs of allergies. NADA just a bit of looseness but that is something different than the intent of this thread.........just thought it was neat that SHE brought up cooling and warming foods.

Anyway she is from Wisconsin and we still politely disagree on Lepto but she saw a good bit of it up there. They think 'maybe' they had a case at this 5 vet practice last year.....Not sure how she wound up at vet school in Australia but when she came on board to the practice I saw that that school had a holistic bent .

Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

I havent looked into food/supplements for pets per se. But I am familiar with the cooling/ heating foods as well as the more comprehensive Ayurvedic typing. Allergies /inflammation are usually considered to be out of too much heat in the bodym or too much heat in the liver. (Allergies can also happen out of a lethargic digestion). I find german shepherds are usually the hot types. .And I have used some of this knowledge towards my own dog.
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Thanks for the great resources, btw. Its great to learn more!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have seen chicken listed as both warming and cooling. It is hard to avoid and I am confused on that one. I tend to avoid as chicken are fed GMO grain and I prefer grass fed animals but I am certain the ducks get the same and it may not be avoidable. Also I think chicken can be inflammatory.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Yes older chicken is heating. But in the US I find chicken to be more of the phlegm type. I avoid all chicken for my dog. Perhaps it has more to do with what the chickens are fed. I am feeding him natures variety rabbit meal btw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.