German Shepherds Forum banner

Coconut Oil

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  volcano 
#1 ·
I researched the benefits on here and other web pages and decided to start giving Gunther coconut oil. I had no clue what I was buying so I went with the expensive organic virgin unrefined coconut oil. I'm starting with 1/4 teaspoon a day since I read it can act as a cleanser and you should build up to the larger amount of 1 teaspoon per day for large dogs.

Any opinions on if I bought the right stuff or need to adjust the dosage?

#2 ·
The organic/virgin/unrefined is the best you can buy, and the only king I would purchase for myself or my dog. I've been using coconut oil for years for my skin, and I occasionally put some in my smoothies for an energy/immune system boost! Love the stuff!

I give my 45 lb puppy about 1 tsp per day, sometimes a little more or less. I've heard you can give 1tsp per 10 lbs, but that seems a little excessive to me. I would feed up to 1 tablespoon for a large dog.

I'd say you could work up to 1 tsp pretty quickly or right away for a large dog without any side effects. Especially if you gave half in one meal and half in the other.

If you wanted to increase from that, I would maybe increase by 1/4 tsp every other day. I honestly don't think detox side effects are very common but as with any diet change their digestive system can take time getting used to it. If you give too much, their stool can become greasy... that the only side effect i've seen in my dog when experimenting with dosage when he was a lot smaller.

#4 ·
Yes organic virgin coconut oil is the best one to use. I started my 2 on about 1/2 teaspoon a day, they now get 2 tablespoons a day and I have noticed they don't scratch and itch themselves very much any more and their coat is amazing - soft and shiny.

#7 ·
I use the Carrington Farms which Costco sells, $18 here for a large tub which lasts 2 months. It's awesome stuff for both canine and humans :) Delgado gets 1 tbsp a day and Jazzy gets 1 tsp, and both dogs will lick the spoon like it's candy

#8 ·
Excuse the ignorance.. but Ihave been looking for a substitute for fish oil for Titan since he is allergic to it.. is coconut oil a complete substitue? Also, when I looked, admittedly at walmart jsut to see what it was.. there was a liquid version, or a more solid version.. which is right?

#9 · (Edited)
We are ALL learning all the time!

In the manufacturing process, liquifying Coconut Oil causes it to lose some of the lauric acid, which is the nutritional fatty acid that you are looking for. So it does not have the health benefits that the solid form has.
Go with the solid form: USDA Organic, Virgin, Cold Pressed, Unrefined, NO GMO's, NO Hexane.
Below are some articles about Coconut Oil that you may find beneficial.
The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Coconut Oil vs. Fish Oil For Dogs | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Hope this helps!
Moms:)

#11 ·
I'm not absolutely positive? I bought my first coconut oil from a grocery store called; sprouts and then I went to Costco but I think what you need to look for is most of the coconut oil that I'm aware of is a product of the Philippines; therefore it would pretty much all be the same. I love the stuff it's fantastic.

#12 ·
Does anyone know if Coconut oil needs to be supplemented with Vit E like fish oil? And after 7 years of itching and scratching occasional bare spots and annual vet vets for same.

I started giving Rocky coconut oil and the difference it has made has been tremendous! The scratching has all but stopped!

I have to see if he can make it through Sept without an annual shot this year but so far it's looking great!

#15 ·
I just wanted to come back here and let people know that I have convinced many pet owners the powers of coconut oil. I think I need to get paid. But all kidding aside, for those who didn't know, it works external as well as internal. Gunther's scratch from a dog bite healed up in 1 week with nothing left but a bald spot on it. I didn't do a thing to it except put coconut oil on it a few times when it opened up. Never even went for the triple anti biotic cream that the vet suggested along with the coconut oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.